On MMR Boosting and the 2014 Season

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Banuvan

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Rhojin View Post
While others may consider it to be a "scumbag" move, it would be allowed, as long as both of your were playing on your own accounts. Our matchmaking system takes both your rankings into consideration and the larger the difference in skill, the more weighted a match can become(it's not completely stacked, but it does take this into consideration). So queuing with someone close to you in skill and rank almost always ensures a more fair and even match.
Is Riot ever going to address this exact problem? It really takes away from the game when you are super carried or the enemy team is. It's deplorable that plats and diamonds can duo with people and drop so far down and ruin games for countless people.

In the large scope of things allowing people to duo queue in ranked that are not in the same division is actually polluting the matchmaking system and is a legal form of ELO boosting. I refuse to duo because it always skews the matchmaking results something fierce. Why as a true silver 3 player am i being forced to play against ( and my team as well ) a player who is plat or above? This isn't fair on any level and there is no damn way the lower player didn't queue up with that higher ranked person for fun. They did it to win. If they just wanted fun games they would play normals.

This is a very serious problem and there is a very simple solution to this. Don't allow people duo in ranked play with anybody outside of their current Tier. Also, start allowing people to drop Tiers. There is no reason a person should be in Gold 5 with 0 LP and playing in a bronze game because they got boosted either with duo queue or by getting boosted.

What are Riot's plans to handle this legal form of ELO boosting?

Ninjadinosaw

01-14-2014

Hypothetically speaking, If i had a freind who is Diamond. If he made a smurf ON HIS OWN, and then purposely losed all his promos and got to bronze 5. If he duos with me then would that be considered an elo boost?

Timkillz

01-14-2014

How about I played on my friends computer for a day? Will that me get banned because how would this "system" know that it's me or him?

This system seems very shady.

FiddIesticks Bot

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjadinosaw View Post
Hypothetically speaking, If i had a freind who is Diamond. If he made a smurf ON HIS OWN, and then purposely losed all his promos and got to bronze 5. If he duos with me then would that be considered an elo boost?
yes

Banuvan

01-14-2014

Quote:

Nope. That is perfectly acceptable even though it completely skews the matchmaking because his skill is obviously much higher. It's legal ELO boosting.

Boramear

01-14-2014

If I played bot games or custom games on another persons account would that be ok. I only ask this because I would like to try out some champs that I do not yet own, but I have a friend that owns basically every champ.

Just Mid

01-14-2014

Quote:
Nope. He explained it and called you a scumbag for doing so. So go ahead since you obviously have no shame, scumbag.

FiddIesticks Bot

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkillz View Post
How about I played on my friends computer for a day? Will that me get banned because how would this "system" know that it's me or him?

This system seems very shady.
only if you play rank on your friend's PC.

Timkillz

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviIinsaner View Post
only if you play rank on your friend's PC.
Ok then, how about you bought a pc from your friend that played league. So basically people who buy used laptops will never be able to play ranked.

Banuvan

01-14-2014

Riot doesn't use their own official forums regularly anymore. Go here to discuss this where there are a plethora of responses from reds.

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...e_2014_season/