Showdown statistical breakdown

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YordleWithaMech

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermario01 View Post
But are the modes coming back is the real question?
Dam i really hope it does. All for one is AWESOME

Catches Axes

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Don't misunderstand, we don't view Showdown as a failure. The player response around it was positive, and it delivered on a fun and unique experience. The issue at hand is that we don't feel that it was a highly engaging game mode, which is a separate issue entirely.

1) This is true, additional iteration could improve it. That's why we're interested in bringing it back in the future with some changes to see how it fares.
2) Yeah, I think there's definite value in game modes with short game times. We'd just need to figure out how to resolve the champion select issue.
3) Agreed. It's potentially similar to how ARAM helps people with their team fighting ability.

Keep in mind, we like Showdown and were happy with how it did. All the reasons you listed are reasons why there's value in continuing to refine and iterate on the mode.
Do you have data on how it affected overall engagement with LoL?

I ask because of my own anecdotal experience, which was that I played it a lot at first and not much later, but continued to engage with it later as a 10 minute queue-to-finish game mode that I could do when I didn't have the ~25 minutes for TT or Dominion or ~35 minutes for ARAM that those modes can occasionally (though not often; still, I hate AFKing because I didn't budget for a longer-than-usual game) take.

I felt like I was being offered a greatly improved League of Legends experience because of the availability of Showdown even though I didn't actually play Showdown all that often after the first few days.

I realize that anecdotes are poor evidence, but I'm curious if you've looked at it from that angle.

Raepherion

01-14-2014

Quote:
Don't misunderstand, we don't view Showdown as a failure. The player response around it was positive, and it delivered on a fun and unique experience. The issue at hand is that we don't feel that it was a highly engaging game mode, which is a separate issue entirely.

1) This is true, additional iteration could improve it. That's why we're interested in bringing it back in the future with some changes to see how it fares.
2) Yeah, I think there's definite value in game modes with short game times. We'd just need to figure out how to resolve the champion select issue.
3) Agreed. It's potentially similar to how ARAM helps people with their team fighting ability.

Keep in mind, we like Showdown and were happy with how it did. All the reasons you listed are reasons why there's value in continuing to refine and iterate on the mode.
Thankyou for considering this. I also found Showdown very useful for these reasons. The only thing I would hope you would consider changing is the win conditions for 2v2. In order to lengthen the game time I think raising it to 3-4 kills and 125 CS would make the startup time less painful. Also move the health relics to spawn behind the turret. I found it far too easy to pick a champ like Karma or Malz and just push hard and steal the relic to win.

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-14-2014
17 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
I want to bring something to your attention about the showdown mode - apparently people were using it to bypass the chat restrictions by playing quick games and losing. I dunno if you knew about this or addressed this, but maybe it's something to consider when bringing the game mode back.
Thanks, I hadn't heard of this!

Purgatory Ace

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2014

Did you take into account that Showdown had some inflated popularity due to Snowdown icons being a reward that tied into that game mode?

I do understand you weren't forced to play this mode, but for players trying to maximize how fast they got the icons, this game mode would be much faster and easier to meet those requirements.

RentableDwarf

01-14-2014

I think a simple solution to making Showdown more engaging is changing the win condition from kills/cs/tower to whomever can accumulate a certain amount of gold first. I really enjoyed the game mode but the biggest issue I had with it is that a lot of games would end within 2 minutes (ie before creeps really arrive). If the game made it past that point, people were then overly aggressive/careless because they wanted to end the game quickly. Being able to win with a single kill is like the golden snitch in quidditch. It can completely negate everything else that happened during the game and is all around a poor game rule.

Personally, I'd like to use a 1v1 mode for two reasons:
1. Practice my laning
2. Pick any champ without having to deal with teammates that criticize the pick and without the possibility of someone else picking it. There are times, such as after you've bought a new champion, that all you want to do is try him/her out, but often times that can lead to raging from other players. Being able to get out your noobiness in 1v1 would mean one less thing for people to rage at you for in 5s. Ideally I would also like there to be no ban phase so you that you can pick absolutely anything you want and so the game starts faster.

But if all you're looking to do is increase playtime/level of engagement then changing the win condition to gold earned instead of first blood is the way to go I think.

Dirkk Diggler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNsNASmurf View Post
The only real addition Showdown needs is the Challenge: The ability to invite anyone in your post game screen to a showdown without needing to set one up or be friends. You're locked to the champions, runes, masteries and summoners you used last game.

Pretty much, I want a button that does "One V One me, Noob!" with a single press.
Brilliant suggestion. And make it so people can insta spectate. I am sure these matches would be entertaining since they are hyped by the back and forth between the challangers hyping the upcomming fight in the game they originally met.

Ëzrëal

01-14-2014

@Brackhar

I have a few suggestions. The way I was hoping to make Showdown was into more arcade style play. Think about it kind of like Smash Bros. Random Items will drop from the sky, then players can pick it up and use unique effects to cripple their opponent. For example, one item could having meteors fall from the sky in random directions. Both players can be targeted for this effect, and can take damage. Another, item could make both players swap champions for a brief period of time. Next, a type of command mode where spectators(think like Hunger Games) can change the outcome of the game. You can gamble who would win with IP, send reinforcements to help the player you're voting for. Buy them extra life, items etc.

These are just some ideas to make Showdown more interesting and fun,instead of just making it straight typical 1v1 League fight. You can get creative,make it entertaining, competitive, while most importantly making it fun. Just hope you actually do read this post

TheAcientOne

01-14-2014

In my opinion, I say that there should just be some sort of free for all mode, giving the players that intense struggle to fight 1 person, but also be engaged in moving on.

This mode would be filled with juke possibilities such as brush and corner/curves everywhere.

Also the map would have a safety shop of some sort, where if you success fully stayed in there for about 3 secs or so, then you couldn't get targeted. When you left you'd be sent to a random part of the map.

When respawning same with the shop and respawn randomly

Just my 2 cents :3
HAPPY HUNGER GAMES!

ThaddeusMike

01-14-2014

Quote:

Thank you very much for the response