Showdown statistical breakdown

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

brunoais

01-14-2014

Preety much thank you for showing us that data. For the showdown I agree on what happened.
In my case,
I tried liked to play 1v1 but it wasn't my thing. Then I played 2v2 and... I wasn't getting teammates that were cooperating with me, so I stopped until almost the end when I tried again and giving up again to my disappointment (same deal, lack of cooperation and communication).

Level 20 Paladin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2014

All that this data shows me is something I already knew. I don't really fit in with this community and am part of the "2.3%". I guess this means I should start looking for a community I fit in better with?

chide da jungler

01-14-2014

How were/are the stats for dominion?

haven't played it in a loooong time

Uldrendan

01-14-2014

This is really disappointing. With the slowing down of champion releases and the lack of item development it is getting quite hard to identify what Riot is actually doing at this point...

I did not care to play showdown on a map that I've already played to death in ARAM. However, I would be quite interested in enjoying it on a brand new map with all new visuals.

VarenxGrypheth

01-14-2014

Hm, to be honest I think it's a completely unfair comparison between One for All and Showdown. I personally would have loved to play Showdown but given you guys featured it during the Holiday Season... I really didn't get to and I expect I'm not the only one who preferred to spend time with his family. Did you seriously expect people to spend as much time with it as with One for all?

gamerfrancais

01-14-2014

could we see the dominons stats? because im sure one for all would be better than dominion

alaskaneagle

01-14-2014

Has anyone at riot considered that the 1v1/2v2 modes statistics are scewed due to it being the second alternate game mode introduced and how peoples perception of the matching system would affect their willingness to play it?

Basically the all for one would definitly have the higher statistic because it had a much higher build up period (it was well known that the servers were having issues because of the amount of people doing all for one before it came out and people wanted to try it out for about a month before it hit). Also there are well over a hundred champs and what I found near the end was a bunch of people just wanting to try a champ they hadn't tried before at the end.

1v1/2v2 at the end was pretty much ruled by burst mages, and lost it's novelty quickly since it was the same thing over and over (maybe try having more bans for 1v1/2v2 next time). My first point about the matching system apply's greatly in 1v1/2v2 ---> I won a match in 48 seconds because the person I was against was completely out matched. I also lost a mach in less than 2 minutes because I was completely out matched. Also with the different win conditions (I personally felt they kept the game balanced as each favored a different type of champ, and prevented stalling the game out) but made it a mode for more competitive people due to the amount of tension the mode created<--- casual players don't want to game were you have to time and plan going b because losing cs and taking turret dmg will cost you the game.

Basically this is a great mode for people looking to be competitive and all for one was a great mode for people just playing to have fun without stress. You are comparing the stats of two modes that don't relate closely enough to be compared directly. That makes the statistical analysis of the stat's more challenging than a simple comparison of two base #'s.

alaskaneagle

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarenxGrypheth View Post
Hm, to be honest I think it's a completely unfair comparison between One for All and Showdown. I personally would have loved to play Showdown but given you guys featured it during the Holiday Season... I really didn't get to and I expect I'm not the only one who preferred to spend time with his family. Did you seriously expect people to spend as much time with it as with One for all?

This is a very good point too. Don't underestimate the timing of release also

Onimallar

01-14-2014

SnowDown? Pick Leona + Annie you win.

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-14-2014
16 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvic Maractis View Post
Since it seems Snowdown was a complete failure why not go the other direction like you originally intended the idk 6v6 to 10v10 mode you had originally talked about years ago you know the one where you internally thought that capture mode was more fun cause you didnt have enough people at riot to actually test more than 5v5.
Don't misunderstand, we don't view Showdown as a failure. The player response around it was positive, and it delivered on a fun and unique experience. The issue at hand is that we don't feel that it was a highly engaging game mode, which is a separate issue entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaddeusMike View Post
There are values to showdown that you have not addressed, giving the perception that you have overlooked them. The ones that were of concern to me:

1) The mode is not yet optimized. Numbers could very easily go up if champ select times are brought down. I don't suppose you have average champ select and average game time numbers?
2) It is a mode that can be played when SR can't. The shorter time led me to play showdown when I would not have played SR. Additionally, in 1v1 the impact of an afk is much smaller, as it only effects one other person and does so more or less immediately. The lowered commitment is something that other modes lack and that allows for games that wouldn't have otherwise occurred.

A less universal value, but one that I was fond of:
3) It has instrumental value. Perhaps it was rare (perhaps it was rare but would have become more popular given time?) but I at least used 1v1 to practice champions that I didn't play so I could have some mechanical proficiency with them for ranked.
1) This is true, additional iteration could improve it. That's why we're interested in bringing it back in the future with some changes to see how it fares.
2) Yeah, I think there's definite value in game modes with short game times. We'd just need to figure out how to resolve the champion select issue.
3) Agreed. It's potentially similar to how ARAM helps people with their team fighting ability.

Keep in mind, we like Showdown and were happy with how it did. All the reasons you listed are reasons why there's value in continuing to refine and iterate on the mode.