Showdown statistical breakdown

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

totalsiege

Recruiter

01-13-2014

All it would of needed is death match added to it instead of an instant loss and picking champs let it generate a new champ for you if u die. Probably hard to add but would make it way more playable

Also make the 1v1 a smaller map and let 10 players join. It will randomly select who plays first. If a player dies it randomly swaps out with player not currently in the game. Probably to hard to add but I miss some of the other modes.

Showdown was just hardcore dm and over way to fast, the reason why more played the 1v1 because it was the easiest way to get the reward for showdown.

legendarywarior1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-13-2014

We need one for all back

we also need the magma chamber but with certain modifications like infinite dying because people don't
like the 1v1 and 2v2 as it finishes too quick

We also need a game mode with 3 teams and a free for all game mode and other kind of cool game mode that would increase the popularity of lol

Laogrith

01-13-2014

thanks for breaking it down.

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-13-2014
12 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denethros View Post
I have a perfectly legitimate question:

Why not just let all those game mode out there. Just keep releasing more.

Why would it matter if no one play them. Let them be so we can have that in custom game...
Every game mode that is on live increases the cost of any change that we do. Some of the balance changes that we've done already have broken One For All as an example, so we'll need to go back and fix it up before we bring it back. Now imagine that we're having to check 10+ game modes for every change we do, and you can see how slow development could become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace77 View Post
with the team select thing that was over on the pbe (haven't heard anything about it in a long time) where you can queue up as a champion for a role... could that be tuned to include bans? say i want to queue up as xerath for showdown but dont want to see a kassadin, fizz or leblanc. could you pick your champions and bans before getting into queue so that the game looks for 2 people who match up in similar ways? ie neither is playing someone the other banned.
i dont remember how flexible that was but it might be a good way to basically eliminate champion select for that game mode.
Yeah, I think Team Builder has a lot of potential for cool stuff in featured game modes! I definitely want to explore the possibilities once it's released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
Are you concerned that MFT data might be inherently skewed upwards? That people will generally be reluctant to rank something as not very much fun, or to say that they intend to never play it again?
We use these types of questions for a bunch of stuff. Trust me; when players don't like something they let us know. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00t3rman View Post
I still disagree with this. What if you compared the number of games people played? I played a ton of Showdown, because they were so short. It was great- instead of having to spend 30-45 min on another map, I could play 3-5 games of showdown in 15 min and get my fill. I played less minutes, but got more out of it. Did a statically sizable amount of people spend 80 min playing Showdowns, or did they play a few and then, now fully warmed up, switch to another mode?
The point more is that, if Showdown was a super engaging mode, they wouldn't switch to another mode in the first place. You'd play Showdown all night, or at least play more games before swapping. Now sure, there are some players who likely did play only Showdown when it was on, just like there were some that didn't play it at all. The average play time smooshes that all together and gives us just that - an average measure of engagement. You'd need a more detailed analysis than what's shown here to understand how many players super engaged with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemaster View Post
I think the issue you are looking at is trying to do something with "Dominion" when you should really be looking at other ways to use the "Crystal Scar" resource you already have. Back in the summer there was an EXTREMELY popular (not so sure about how it is now) custom game mode called "Hide and Seek" with some already very well defined rules and a strong (imo) player base behind it. Also why not use the map for larger team sizes, such as 7v7 or 10v10.
We've actually been talking about that hide and seek ruleset recently. I've never played it, but I really need to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3omg View Post
Do these stats include custom games?
Yeap.

Ellieface

01-14-2014

Don't you think not resetting gold and xp would make for some really bad snowballing, where eventually it would be extremely difficult to come back from a bad position?

Yordlicious

01-14-2014

please simply listen to this point of view

I loved showdown, and here is the very simple reason why... I could play a full game within a fraction of the time to play in other modes. I LOVED that aspect of the mode! I understand if some of the features were not as popular, but the fact that I could squeeze some LoL time here and there actually increased the time I could play by quite a bit!

here's one thing my friends and I noticed quickly though... it would take just as long to set up the game as it did to play.... I would argue this would contribute significantly to the kinds of numbers you were watching for in a game to judge its popularity metrics.

I know watching global player behavior is your job, and you obviously are looking at things in a different light than I am (I loved the game mode) but showdown opened my eyes to several possible aspects that I think could be very popular:

1: shorter game modes that let you play more quick games

2: game modes that require fewer friends to stay in control of the whole team

the second aspect was also surprisingly important in my experience. I could find one friend and get a game going much faster when showdown was available because it didn't require as much commitment as a full 5v5 or even a 3v3.

I understand why you aren't perusing these game modes in their current form, but I hope someone will read this and understand, the main 2 reasons I LOVED showdown was because of these two things, and could consider ways to implement a game mode that is friendly for quicker games and make it easier on smaller teams.

Xithrascin

01-14-2014

do you think that the conception that 1v1 and 2v2 being more "hardcore" made the game mode suffer in terms of use? I didn't play it because I knew that it could get really competitive really quickly. Also, because league of legends is generally seen as a time suck of 30 minutes, do you think people who had 15 minutes to play one or two showdown games were lost simply because they don't see league in terms of 15 minute intervals or that the "marketing" of the mode wasn't skewed towards that (enough)?

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-14-2014
13 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellieface View Post
Don't you think not resetting gold and xp would make for some really bad snowballing, where eventually it would be extremely difficult to come back from a bad position?
Possibly, but maybe we also remove the gold/xp bonus from champion kills. The idea basically comes from the question of if it's interesting to see how a matchup fairs at different champ levels. Some champs are better late game, so maybe it'd be more fair to them. Dunno! It's just an idea currently.

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-14-2014
14 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xithrascin View Post
do you think that the conception that 1v1 and 2v2 being more "hardcore" made the game mode suffer in terms of use? I didn't play it because I knew that it could get really competitive really quickly. Also, because league of legends is generally seen as a time suck of 30 minutes, do you think people who had 15 minutes to play one or two showdown games were lost simply because they don't see league in terms of 15 minute intervals or that the "marketing" of the mode wasn't skewed towards that (enough)?
I dunno. We've got a pretty large segment of out playerbase who self identify as hardcore/competitive players, so I don't think that's intrinsically it. As for the timing question I don't know if I'd agree with the argument as phrased.

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-14-2014
15 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yordlicious View Post
please simply listen to this point of view

I loved showdown, and here is the very simple reason why... I could play a full game within a fraction of the time to play in other modes. I LOVED that aspect of the mode! I understand if some of the features were not as popular, but the fact that I could squeeze some LoL time here and there actually increased the time I could play by quite a bit!

here's one thing my friends and I noticed quickly though... it would take just as long to set up the game as it did to play.... I would argue this would contribute significantly to the kinds of numbers you were watching for in a game to judge its popularity metrics.

I know watching global player behavior is your job, and you obviously are looking at things in a different light than I am (I loved the game mode) but showdown opened my eyes to several possible aspects that I think could be very popular:

1: shorter game modes that let you play more quick games

2: game modes that require fewer friends to stay in control of the whole team

the second aspect was also surprisingly important in my experience. I could find one friend and get a game going much faster when showdown was available because it didn't require as much commitment as a full 5v5 or even a 3v3.

I understand why you aren't perusing these game modes in their current form, but I hope someone will read this and understand, the main 2 reasons I LOVED showdown was because of these two things, and could consider ways to implement a game mode that is friendly for quicker games and make it easier on smaller teams.
Interesting, thanks!