Showdown statistical breakdown

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Feed Zac Candy

01-13-2014

Brackhar, I can't help but read your posts in Gentleman Cho'Gath's voice.

Must be the avatar.

xNegi kunx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2014

I enjoyed Snowdown Showdown more than One For All and only for one reason, One For All wasn't truly One For ALL. If it had been 10x a champion, the same champion for both teams, I would have had loads of fun with it.

The way it was though, it was fun for one team and torture for the other team (and oh boy was it torture since it was on Summoner's Rift, whose games take much longer than Howling Abyss) because a large percentage of matches was decided at champion select based on champion matchups. If you do bring back One For All in the future, could you go back to 10x Howling Abyss?

NineTales9

01-13-2014

can you bring One for All back until you release another gamemode?

NoobletTwo

01-13-2014

I think one of the main reasons showdown didn't have as high a playtime percentage is because of the length of each individual game. People usually queue 2-3 times with a buddy, and each game lasts around 5-6 minutes on average compared to one for all's standard 30 min game time. People usually play 2-3 games in one sitting. Because showdown is a quick game, those 3 games pass by quickly, and people feel like they played enough games just like when they play 2-3 normal games. tl;dr: Game length determines the percentage of play time.

Alex3omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2014

Do these stats include custom games?

The only showdowns I played were custom against friends.

Not to say it should stay over 1-4-all but it's a nice custom option I think should stay in, if anyone wants to use it they should be able to. Goes for all your fun modes. Fun modes are fun, let them stay!

Oh and my suggestion for showdown is this- make it a best of 3/5 but make each game start you with more gold and higher level. That would be fun because late game champs could be sure to win that last game, but everyone would have equal farm. Might open up a lot of interesting choices...

Injured Left Egg

01-13-2014

You should also think about how long is per game of the showdown and the all in one, not only the total time.

Retief

01-13-2014

Another thing to look at is how effective the game mode is as a "short term/break" mode. If a game mode is played regularly, even if people mostly don't spend a lot of time in it, that says something about its value. Something like "percentage of sessions containing a showdown game" could get at that. If, for example, 30% of all play sessions included a showdown matches but it was usually 1-2 matches per session, playtime wouldn't be very high but a lot of people would be getting value out of the mode. Just because it isn't a mode that people enjoy for large chunks of time doesn't mean it isn't a mode that people enjoy and get value of.

I could imagine people playing a few showdown matches for first win of the day/warm up/cs practice before moving on to summoners rift, or playing showdown when they don't have time for a SR match. None of these use cases would involve much total playtime, but the players in question might still be getting a lot of enjoyment out of the mode.

Total playtime is a good metric for measuring how fun a game mode is as a serious time sink. It rates game modes that people regularly play for brief periods of time very low, and modes like that aren't necessarily less valuable than time sink modes.

braddollar

01-13-2014

I must say, while I had absolutely no interest in either of these modes, it was nice to see you all trying something new. It's also very nice to see this kind of open discussion about it, especially with the hard data included. Both were things I didn't think would happen anymore.

I would be really interested in seeing similar data for Dominion. Would be kind of sad I'm sure, as I really like Dominion, but it would be interesting none the less.

DeliciousVimp

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
^^^
It should!

Heading home for now! I'll try to catch up some later tonight.
You work late.

The Destiny Pony

Senior Recruiter

01-13-2014

As a veteran player I definitely think that the showdown was a fun novelty, but do not see it being a long term option, as during the last few days I was being paired with people who I doubt where even level 30 like me because of how unskilled they where, and if you expected the queuing to only get worse I have no complaints against your actions.

As for 'One for all' I think it was definitely fun, but feel that SR is not the best fit for it, I am thinking maybe Twisted Treelines map would be better, as it gives that mana buff to help mages fair better against the very dominant high sustain little/no mana usage champions, and the gold increase at start would help eliminate the kind of boring farming up stage, cause I do not really think anyone plays one for all to work on there lane farming skills. And it still has a jungle and a big team buff, and it seems like an overall more fitted map. Maybe with a return of the old speed buff because I feel a single health relic would be pointless in a one for all. Maybe a slightly modified dominion map also, but that one I see more issues with.

I also feel if your team does wish to look into a 1v1 2v2 map more, the original Twisted Treeline might be better fit then the proving grounds. Since it has 2 lanes for 2v2 to fight it out, and the jungle would allow a bit more gank play involved yet still is small enough to make it closed quarters. And fighting for the wraith and wolf buffs would give it a bit of an edge but yet make it hard to gain if you are sitting back and just playing safe in lane. And also increase the play time by a bit, but not so much that people lose interest mid game.