Showdown statistical breakdown

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thales

01-13-2014

Are you concerned that MFT data might be inherently skewed upwards? That people will generally be reluctant to rank something as not very much fun, or to say that they intend to never play it again?

Chry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2014

Hi Brackhar -

I played easily over 200 2v2 matches with a friend of mine. I also played a decent amount of 1v1 matches. We were looking forward to this game mode for months.

We'd love to see it come back and you've nailed a lot of the changes on the head. The biggest reason I believe you saw such a falloff was because of the lack of progression. Even playing hundreds of games it felt like I was doing it for no reason. Now, keep in mind I believe this scaled off of normal MMR (which mine is very low (bronze) because I only play ranked since years ago). We noticed that we quickly won a lot in a row and were playing golds to diamonds. This was nice, but we had to use third party websites to see our progression.

If this mode was ranked and had a ladder with win/loss I think you'd see a lot more long term interest. Additionally, if you've ever played Warcraft - one of the greatest things they had in that game was regular tournaments (built into the client). This mode would be GREAT to run best of 32/64/128 tournaments daily or even hourly if they got popular enough - winner take all with some kind of RP or IP giveaways to the top few contestants. I remember fondly waiting for the tournaments and watching the leaderboards in WC3 and wonder why no games do this in client?

Just a few thoughts for you. We probably played this game mode more than most and still ended up not playing it for the last week or so it was available and went back to 5's... Why? Progression.. There was no feeling of value in what you were doing even though it was a lot of fun. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

ZithisLabs

01-13-2014

Well this is my point of view, you want to know why i stopped playing One for All and Showdown. I had great fun with one for all, way more then SR, TT, or Dominion and would have gladly played as my most played mode alongside ARAM. The reason i didn't was because it was said ahead of time this was temporary and had no promise it would return in the future, so i didn't want to get myself invested into a new awesome mode that may or may not come back. To me it felt like giving a child a new toy and letting them play with it, only to rip it out of their hands a few weeks later when they start getting attached to it.

Perhaps a better way to have done this mode testing would have been to just release it like you did, but then leave it in the custom games afterwards and telling people if they enjoyed the mode, while there won't be a queue anymore they can still play it. That way you could see how often custom matches were made to continue it after the matchmaker was removed. This would also bring back people like me who didn't want to invest in something that will just be taken away from them cause we could go into a custom game whenever we want a set up a match.

Then watch and see if it keeps seeing play, could end up like ARAM where so many people keep playing it in customs that it would seem viable for permanent addition

Anyway, just thought i would throw my 2-cents into the disscussion

Sh00t3rman

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Sure, I'll take a stab at it. Broadly speaking, the idea is the players generally have an amount of time that they're interested in playing LoL when they sit down. Have you ever had a 80 minute SR game and thought "Man, that game was super long, I can't play another" or had a 20 minute surrender and thought "Oh hey, that game was super fast, I can probably get in another one?" That's this concept in practice.
I still disagree with this. What if you compared the number of games people played? I played a ton of Showdown, because they were so short. It was great- instead of having to spend 30-45 min on another map, I could play 3-5 games of showdown in 15 min and get my fill. I played less minutes, but got more out of it. Did a statically sizable amount of people spend 80 min playing Showdowns, or did they play a few and then, now fully warmed up, switch to another mode?

Paqi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
We want to try and do some things with Dominion via the auspices of featured game modes, we just need to figure out what first.
How about a Dominion-specific tutorial?

IWILLFEEDTONIGHT

01-13-2014

The reason i stopped playing one for all was pick and ban was just an arms race about who got the most op champion. I didn't like playing lux, nidalee, and ziggs every game. I wanted to try 5 warwicks and 5 olafs without getting smashed. The way to avert this imo is to make both teams in the game play the same champion and all players in the game votes. That way, if you pick op champs, all players in the game has it without it being decided before the game.

HiIAmStephan

01-13-2014

i would have played it more if u could have let everyone have the choice of the champ they wanted like not making it so no one could use teemo or karthus which i wanted to alot

AlienKnitter

01-13-2014

My worry about the MFT data is that it only comes from people who play that game mode. I saw what Showdown was, and I had no interest at all in even trying it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that, although I honestly have no idea how much of the player base thinks agrees with me. Is that data (specifically, people completely uninterested in the game mode, even with some changes) taken into account? And if so, can you say how, or even better, show those numbers? Cause threads like this are awesome.

AForgotten Angel

01-13-2014

Did you guys ever take into fact that they time period you released Showdown for a feature was during the winter holidays when many people are not as active online who are normally are dealing with family or extra work or other holiday real life distractions? While One for One which I know myself I never found interesting enough to play was at a less frantic in general time of the year.

Hellpyre

01-13-2014

I just want to say that I really enjoyed One for All, and to say (as I mention constantly for the comparison) that Showdown as a mode offered almost nothing that couldn't be done in a custom game, while One for All enabled options that could not be even approximated outside of that specific game mode.

I urge you to consider, if not adding One for All to at least custom games, allowing options in custom games such as duplicate champions that allow players to re-enact these modes. ARAM was born from the ability to set custom games to All-Random, and by separating out the changes that these game modes make into discreet options, it would be possible for players to create new modes or recreate favorites among themselves (without needing to be supported as strictly balanced/competitive).

If you could toggle starting level, ambient gold, ambient experience, duplicate champions, Recall availability, and/or the other parameters that currently are baked into the maps, it would open up a world of self-organization.