Showdown statistical breakdown

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bandana Dee

01-13-2014

Brackhar i hate to be that guy but what about the ip removal of custom games?

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3832701

you never got back to us about this matter that bothered a lot of people, you said youd discuss it with the team and a lot of people who only play customs still can't get any new champions whatsoever.

could we please get some kind of word? my fiance doesnt like pvp cause of the trolls and he hasnt been able to buy a new champion in months because of this change

crackin1

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farstride View Post
I'm very sad about this.

During those 2 weeks, the only thing I played was the 1v1's.
Addicting as hell, I loved being able play league without having to commit 20+ minutes per game.
And the ability to just give up anytime I wanted to without having to worry about pissing off teammates was freeing.
I know what your saying... Suck I was looking forward to new map.... PLZ make more maps vs new champs!!!

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-13-2014
9 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TibEriuSocTavIaN View Post
Can you clarify how the data you found by looking at the proportional minutes played answered your intended question specifically?
We use % play time as a way to measure player's engagement with a game mode and feel that it effectively normalizes for engagement across varying game length since players naturally self-budget their time. Since Showdown had a very low % play time by the end of its lifetime and had much worse falloff than any of our other modes during a same time window after launch, we felt that Showdown was not a particularly long-term engaging mode. The caveat here is that the MFT data shows that the game mode was received well and left people with a positive opinion, meaning that it's a decent candidate to try bringing back with changes in the future. However, as currently envisioned it's not a strong candidate for being a permanent game mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TibEriuSocTavIaN View Post
Can you clarify how the data you found by looking at the proportional minutes played answered your intended question specifically?

Also what did you mean by this:

By "spending time in champion select" do you mean picking champions before a game, or... what? Because if Showdown had the most time in champion select, which is at least very similar in length for every game mode, doesn't that mean that the game was comparatively more popular.
Also are you multiplying a percentage by 1.2? What is the "average" and why is it apparently unimportant.
Lastly could you take into account that there were only 2-4 people to search for any given game, rather than 10.
What I was trying to refer to by referencing champion select was heading off a potential counter argument. Champion select for Showdown takes roughly 2-4 minutes to get through, and the average Showdown time was 7 minutes. As such you could argue that only looking at game time isn't a great measure of engagement, since spending time banning champions/selecting champions is a much larger proportion of the experience compared to other game modes. All I was trying to say was that, even if you inflate the playtime of Showdown to account for that time in champion select, it doesn't appreciably change the results.

As for accounting for players yes. Average play time accounts for that inherently, which is why we use it. Number of game starts is where you really have to account for different team sizes, and as such is a confusing metric in this case. That's why we left it out.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-13-2014

champion specific winrates plox

OneDragonArmy

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Yeah, we screwed up on this one. Sorry dudes.

As for the game mode, I think you could make something pretty compelling with the concept. Maybe instead of a simple tug of war it's more like TF2's Minecart mode? Or maybe you're herding around a giant poro trying to get it into the enemy's base.
Saving Private Lars: The Game Mode.

zoolover03

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodasonics View Post
Well, One for All is more of a game that you can just play for fun like ARAM. One the other hand, 1v1/2v2 games are taken more seriously and would probably get a lot more attention if there was a ranked queue for it.
I completely agree with this. It is a game mode where people can really be challenged with champions and can show skill and smarts about the game. Plus, putting it in ranked queue would give people more reason to play it. The special games like these that only last a few weeks don't give you any kind of credit towards your stats, just ip.

Ding an Sich

01-13-2014

@Brack: Using this type of methodology, does this mean Dominion/TT holds enough weight to continue to receive resources?

I love dominion because frankly it's transitions well with my friends who do SR and have good laning phases, but don't seem to know how to fight "appropriately". But I'm not sure based on personal biases if Dominion or TT get near the activity that seems to be the cut off point for Snowdown or one for all.

Ëzrëal

01-13-2014

@Brackhar

I have a few suggestions.
The way I was hoping to make Showdown was into more arcade style play. Think about it kind of like Smash Bros. Random Items will drop from the sky, then players can pick it up and use unique effects to cripple their opponent. For example, one item could having meteors fall from the sky in random directions. Both players can be targeted for this effect, and can take damage. Another, item could make both players swap champions for a brief period of time. Next, a type of command mode where spectators(think like Hunger Games) can change the outcome of the game. You can gamble who would win with IP, send reinforcements to help the player you're voting for. Buy them extra life, items etc.

These are just some ideas to make Showdown more interesting and fun,instead of just making it straight typical 1v1 League fight. You can get creative,make it entertaining, competitive, while most importantly making it fun. Just hope you actually do read this post

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-13-2014
10 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding an Sich View Post
@Brack: Using this type of methodology, does this mean Dominion/TT holds enough weight to continue to receive resources?

I love dominion because frankly it's transitions well with my friends who do SR and have good laning phases, but don't seem to know how to fight "appropriately". But I'm not sure based on personal biases if Dominion or TT get near the activity that seems to be the cut off point for Snowdown or one for all.
We want to try and do some things with Dominion via the auspices of featured game modes, we just need to figure out what first.

KatnipHigh

01-13-2014

Has your team already made considerations of other unique game modes? Like, are there any other modes coming out pretty soon *cough cough during Lunar Revel*?

also Spoiler me this or not, will there be a Catch the Teemo mode?