Showdown statistical breakdown

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-13-2014
7 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiSkillshot View Post
Taken from the Riot official announcement about the Magma Chamber. And I'm surprised they said this. As it's one of the rare times they've said that they're sorry about something.
Though, I do understand as to why you'll said it. You made an announcement for a new mode, and map. Then cancelled the map, and chose the best course of action is to make the mode temporary.

Though, I was thinking of something... A gamemode a bit like tug of war. Place a nonkillable, nontargetable unit that sits in the middle of a snake like map that moves toward ones of the team's Nexus, if there's a player of said team near the unit, that the players fight over, till one of the teams get the unit to their nexus. There is no towers (outside the summoning pool Obelisk), there are minions, but their spawn timers start to get longer, the closer the X unit is to the minion's respective nexus (This is to avoid overwelling waves of minions). Think... something like this, in away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj8m7CMSosM
Yeah, we screwed up on this one. Sorry dudes.

As for the game mode, I think you could make something pretty compelling with the concept. Maybe instead of a simple tug of war it's more like TF2's Minecart mode? Or maybe you're herding around a giant poro trying to get it into the enemy's base.

Piepally

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
snip

When I played showdown, I would play it when I have a short amount of time available, or when i need that last ~15 ip to buy a rune, and play one or two games where summoner's rift could potentially be too long. Showdown 1v1 had the added benefit of no one being harmed if you left or afked, since you would simply lose a short amount of time later. Showdown was popular, and I personally loved it, but comparing games which are potentially different in time by a factor of 50(and less players at a time) by game time is ludicrous, to say the least.

Jace77

01-13-2014

was that 2% of playtime the average amount of time player spent playing that game mode while logged in? or while in games?

AntiSkillshot

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Yeah, we screwed up on this one. Sorry dudes.

As for the game mode, I think you could make something pretty compelling with the concept. Maybe instead of a simple tug of war it's more like TF2's Minecart mode? Or maybe you're herding around a giant poro trying to get it into the enemy's base.
I've never played TF2. But, i've seen my best bud play it a few times, so I know what you're referring too. But, I thought of Age of Mythology's version was the better example. Nonetheless, it'd still be an interesting concept.

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-13-2014
8 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace77 View Post
was that 2% of playtime the average amount of time player spent playing that game mode while logged in? or while in games?
In game.

TibEriuSocTavIaN

01-13-2014

Quote:
Have you ever had a 80 minute SR game and thought "Man, that game was super long, I can't play another" or had a 20 minute surrender and thought "Oh hey, that game was super fast, I can probably get in another one?" That's this concept in practice.
Can you clarify how the data you found by looking at the proportional minutes played answered your intended question specifically?

Also what did you mean by this:
Quote:
It is fair that the Showdown experience spent more proportional time in champion select than our other modes does, but even if you multiply the average by 1.2x it doesn't really move the needle appreciably
By "spending time in champion select" do you mean picking champions before a game, or... what? Because if Showdown had the most time in champion select, which is at least very similar in length for every game mode, doesn't that mean that the game was comparatively more popular.
Also are you multiplying a percentage by 1.2? What is the "average" and why is it apparently unimportant.
Lastly could you take into account that there were only 2-4 people to search for any given game, rather than 10.

Farstride

01-13-2014

I'm very sad about this.

During those 2 weeks, the only thing I played was the 1v1's.
Addicting as hell, I loved being able play league without having to commit 20+ minutes per game.
And the ability to just give up anytime I wanted to without having to worry about pissing off teammates was freeing.

CrayZg8mr

01-13-2014

Well I highly doubt riot cares about me and if they did and tried to develop what my idea it would take twice as long as magma chamber probably. Anyways my idea is a game mode called: total war. Total war consists of a mega larger field of justice(4x the size of Sr). The map could be one of the battles of Ionia and Noxus , Noxus and demacia , Piltover and Zaun , voidians and shadow isliands. Anyways instead of a regular field of justice there are events like zaun and piltover planes droping bombs,Void portals appearing freeing the monsters within, or even pieces of the shadow isles falling from the sky. Certain champions can have lore in certain areas of the map such as Cassiopea and the monster who turned her into a snake could be a boss. Or the temple that spirit guard udyr had to defend for extra gold(im just saying).And just 2 more things at the near end of the killing massacre both teams have to team up to kill a great evil Talonia (goddess of corruption .yes I made the name) She made the shadow isles and void and craves destruction she likes to appear in places of mass carnage but one day she turned away from her unholy creations so now she grew bored and decided to say hi to her ex creations and wreak havoc so in this map it's pretty common so be careful where you kill it could be the kill that summons her. But above all the map consist of a 20 v 20 or free for all with no nexus no towers no points just kill or be killed so it should be more fair for both Talonia and the summoners. Just talking about this gets me angry since this might not come to be but it would be nice if it does no matter how long I have to wait. Well I would talk about more but my fingers are tired so just email me and see if anyone wants to hear more. E mail:CrayZg8mr@gmail.com

LifeSmash

01-13-2014

Sorry for offtopic but...

Thoughts on making Magma Chamber into a different type of map? Y'all have the art assets and whatnot, might as well use them. There are certainly a lot of unique things you can do with a lava map, the obvious ones being hazards such as volcanic fissures in the ground or making the river area into lava--dealing %currentHP damage seems like the best balance option since it reduces killed-by-the-stage moments but is still meaningful at all stages of the game. Falling rocks from an eruption could also be a hazard option. People would have to learn to dodge the hazards or take advantage of them a la Smash Bros.

mustbejoking

01-13-2014

Snowdown game mode is fundamentally imbalance due to the winning condition. Champions with early game advantage are highly OP then others, who would pick Thresh/Sona in such game mode?

APC also found mana surge, while OOM and fail to keep lane sustain, you are likely to give away the 100 minions or turret. That make champion selection even limit. People may say summoner skill could cover up while you have a better control on your MP, but that is still far behind an ADC (AS build)sustain on lane. APC only choice is to boost damage for a killing win.

Also champion with CC have lots more advantage than those who don't, like Morgana/Leona who have skillsss could root you still. I know i could still win a chance with Poppy when i m @ level 6, but i lost already too much on lane sustain.

1v1 nor 2v2 are attractive, specially for those hero mind summoner who wanna prove himself the most unbeatable summoner around the world. Yet, starting from Lv 1 make those late game champion loss too much sustain before the 100 minion nor turret could be protect from.

Why don't snowdown follow dominion concept to start from lv 3 or a even higher level to give a little more chance to those late game champion.