Showdown statistical breakdown

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gd Bot

01-13-2014

plz riot capture the flag mode tht wud be more fun than these 2

Nitori

01-13-2014

Many people are asking: can you please explain how using game time is an unbiased way of gathering data? The Showdown games went by pretty fast, with games ending as quickly as 45 seconds. In comparison with games on Summoner's Rift, this is a small fraction of time spent per game. Thus, one would expect a low percentage of game time spent in Showdown.

One For All games were played on Summoner's Rift, which is a naturally longer game mode, so it doesn't make sense to compare OFA games with Showdown games.

Furthermore, I'd probably get tired of 3 or 4 Showdown games in a row, after which I'd play SR, but I've still played more games on Showdown overall. Why not use total games played (possibly multiplied by some weight) instead of, or in addition to, total time played.

TibEriuSocTavIaN

01-13-2014

I'd like to say that the graph that shows the drop-off of amount of time played in showdown seemed to be leveling off towards the end. When my friend and I played showdown all the way to the hour it no longer became available, we had very little wait time. If the wait time I experienced wasn't "atrocious", and the drop-off for the wait time decreased in magnitude significantly, logically, after the first two weeks, shouldn't there be a still-dealable wait time in showdown.

simpsonboy77

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2014

I did not enjoy the 1v1 maps or 2v2 maps.

The 1v1 map had such a long lobby, and a good amount (in my experience) if you counter picked the opponent, they would just dodge. Maybe 4 minutes in queue/select, and the game could end in 30 seconds. Also not everyone who plays league would enjoy 1v1s. The games felt artificial since exhaust + ignite are great in 1v1 all ins, but not realistic of a SR lane. Maybe removing summoners entirely would be interesting.

The 2v2 map didn't sound appealing to me. If I were to enter it as a solo player, I wouldn't want to go against a duo. This one reason is why I didn't even try it.

lceIceBaby

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post

Well, you can see from the data that the play rate dropped off substantially after just two weeks for Showdown, and it didn't show signs of stopping. A few more weeks and we'd likely be looking at 20 minute queue times commonly, which is unacceptable for a 5 minute average game mode.
Well, what I mean is maybe it just wasn't properly advertised? I realise the playtime went down over time, but I think if you gave it *more* time, it would eventually stabilize. To say it would keep deteriorating to the point of having 20 minute queues seems a bit extreme to me, imho.

Magic Spoon Lord

01-13-2014

Riot being open and interactive with their own community on their dedicated forums?
I am a happy man.

Gen Doukeshi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2014

I don't suppose you could give us the number of games of 1 type versus others? Snowdown may have taken up less time, but it's also significantly shorter. I don't know if it's entirely fair to compare playtime when a game can last all of 2 minutes sometimes.

AntiSkillshot

01-13-2014

Quote:
We know we changed our minds after making a commitment and we’re sorry. We hate doing it.
Taken from the Riot official announcement about the Magma Chamber. And I'm surprised they said this. As it's one of the rare times they've said that they're sorry about something.
Though, I do understand as to why you'll said it. You made an announcement for a new mode, and map. Then cancelled the map, and chose the best course of action is to make the mode temporary.

Though, I was thinking of something... A gamemode a bit like tug of war. Place a nonkillable, nontargetable unit that sits in the middle of a snake like map that moves toward ones of the team's Nexus, if there's a player of said team near the unit, that the players fight over, till one of the teams get the unit to their nexus. There is no towers (outside the summoning pool Obelisk), there are minions, but their spawn timers start to get longer, the closer the X unit is to the minion's respective nexus (This is to avoid overwelling waves of minions). Think... something like this, in away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj8m7CMSosM

XxSmurf101xX

01-13-2014

I don't really understand why you can't have it in custom games even after reading your post.

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-13-2014
6 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolta View Post
I liked both modes,but to be honest i really think ALL FOR ONE shouldn't be in the classical map of summoners rift 5 vs 5.

Dunno,i think if the map was a bit more small,it would be more fun
I talk a bit about this here: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4019198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gd Bot View Post
plz riot capture the flag mode tht wud be more fun than these 2
Could be pretty cool! I think bombing run would be a bit better than CTF, but I like the idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitori Kawashiro View Post
Many people are asking: can you please explain how using game time is an unbiased way of gathering data? The Showdown games went by pretty fast, with games ending as quickly as 45 seconds. In comparison with games on Summoner's Rift, this is a small fraction of time spent per game. Thus, one would expect a low percentage of game time spent in Showdown.

One For All games were played on Summoner's Rift, which is a naturally longer game mode, so it doesn't make sense to compare OFA games with Showdown games.

Furthermore, I'd probably get tired of 3 or 4 Showdown games in a row, after which I'd play SR, but I've still played more games on Showdown overall. Why not use total games played (possibly multiplied by some weight) instead of, or in addition to, total time played.
Sure, I'll take a stab at it. Broadly speaking, the idea is the players generally have an amount of time that they're interested in playing LoL when they sit down. Have you ever had a 80 minute SR game and thought "Man, that game was super long, I can't play another" or had a 20 minute surrender and thought "Oh hey, that game was super fast, I can probably get in another one?" That's this concept in practice.

As such, what differences in game time do is they affect the minimum amount of time you'll play a mode in a night, more than anything else. If a game mode is really engaging you'll play it for all the time you're on, and if it's not you'll spend that time elsewhere. If we had shipped Showdown as a best of 5 match vs the heads up one we did, our expectation is that we would have seen a similar amount of time spent in Showdown with on the order of a fifth the total number of game starts. It is fair that the Showdown experience spent more proportional time in champion select than our other modes does, but even if you multiply the average by 1.2x it doesn't really move the needle appreciably.