Showdown statistical breakdown

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dtech

01-13-2014

as i said to Jeffrey Dee (@RiotZephyreal), i think the main reason for the Showdown `fail` is that people have enough time on holidays and so you really want to play with friends... there is not much room for 2x2 or 1x1 here; and as a player i think there is no point into wasting my time in a queue that will be online for 1 or 2 weeks only. i have nothing to gain from it and people really like to gain something back, thats why they play ranked.

LOLjor

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNsNASmurf View Post
The only real addition Showdown needs is the Challenge: The ability to invite anyone in your post game screen to a showdown without needing to set one up or be friends. You're locked to the champions, runes, masteries and summoners you used last game.

Pretty much, I want a button that does "One V One me, Noob!" with a single press.
This is a very creative and meaningful idea you have there! Totally up voted you for that. However, I'd think being able to change your runes/champs, etc are good. The reason behind this is because if you were stuck being whatever role you were forced to do (i.e support, etc.) and you really wanted to challenge the person who talked down during champ select but ended up feeding 0/13/0 while taking the lane you wanted. Then that's when it becomes fair when you can select the champs you want. Therefore, I think simply adding the "Challenge" button but just linking it to the 1v1 game mode is good enough. Just my humble opinion.

LOLjor

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman Fizz View Post
Are there any stats for which champions won the most/were picked the most for the Showdown map? O:
Caitlyn.

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-13-2014
4 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banuvan View Post
I didn't play either of these but THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE DATA! Really, sharing things like this warms the cockles of my heart.
No problem! I'd like to keep doing stuff like this in the future when possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalookakoo View Post
Why are there such long breaks between game modes? Why not leave it up until a new one is coming in, even if it's a few days in between. It has been weeks and I'm confused.

Also, why aren't we just adding modes like we did for ARAM? If a mode is deemed popular enough, like One for All seemed to be, why can't it just be added. This rotation seems weird seeing as you guys had no problem adding ARAM the way you did.
The breaks do a number of things that are helpful, from giving my team some time to make game modes that are more complex to also helping make each mode an event in the community so the play rate is high. As for why we don't make the game modes permanent I talk a bit about it in this post: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4019198

Quote:
Originally Posted by lceIceBaby View Post
I don't really agree with "if we leave them permanent, queue times will be atrocious".

Because it doesn't take into account the fact that people haven't had a lot of time to get used to it. And let's face it, people will always play those two modes.
Well, you can see from the data that the play rate dropped off substantially after just two weeks for Showdown, and it didn't show signs of stopping. A few more weeks and we'd likely be looking at 20 minute queue times commonly, which is unacceptable for a 5 minute average game mode.

WorstVayneMars

01-13-2014

Riot Brackhar,

I love these kind of statistics and its cool you shared this with us. Are you planning on bringing more of these numbers out in the future for things like say Champion win rates and what not?

FiddIesticks Bot

01-13-2014

I would love to see 1v1 and 2v2 rank mode.

Billdo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2014

Would love to see some of the data like this for more of the games, Dominion and such.

The Mechy

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviIinsaner View Post
I would love to see 1v1 and 2v2 rank mode.
1v1 ranked mode future:

"Omg, you won because my team-I mean my champion sucks! That's the only reason you won!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdo View Post
Would love to see some of the data like this for more of the games, Dominion and such.
I seriously forgot this mode existed.

AFuzzyMuffin

01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
No problem! I'd like to keep doing stuff like this in the future when possible.

The breaks do a number of things that are helpful, from giving my team some time to make game modes that are more complex to also helping make each mode an event in the community so the play rate is high. As for why we don't make the game modes permanent I talk a bit about it in this post: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4019198

Well, you can see from the data that the play rate dropped off substantially after just two weeks for Showdown, and it didn't show signs of stopping. A few more weeks and we'd likely be looking at 20 minute queue times commonly, which is unacceptable for a 5 minute average game mode.
I love this thread so I'll give you some feedback.

As far as one for one goes, I think it fits in the category in a "fun/break/yolo mode" like aram.

Now, as far as 1v1 goes....I'm sure I speak for most people when I say they were looking for a Summoners Rift 1v1 type stage.

If you guys could literally make a carbon copy clone to imitate LANING phase only of that so people could repeated practice one of the most crucial parts of the game in a 1v1 setting that would probably appeal to lots of people. (This means no health relics and no weird bush placement like that showdown stuff...) Why? Because customs by yourself with bots are quite annoying.

Another massive and MAJOR suggestion I would give to your team for the next mode.

PLEASE MAKE A PRACTICE SET UP MODE WHERE YOU CAN GO IN SUMMONERS RIFT AND PRACTICE CSING. I cannot tell you how boring it is to constantly set up a custom for yourself to do this over and over.

Brackhar

Features Designer

01-13-2014
5 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorstVayneMars View Post
Riot Brackhar,

I love these kind of statistics and its cool you shared this with us. Are you planning on bringing more of these numbers out in the future for things like say Champion win rates and what not?
I can't speak to champion win rates, but I'd love to keep doing this for any of the featured game modes we do.