When will RIOT come back to their forums?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaiber

Senior Member

01-11-2014

@Riot Zephyreal

Thank you for your reply. My iMac is up to date and is updated to the most recent OS. This issue has been happening for months and ever since I've joined League of Legends. I don't think this issue is actually part of what League of Legends should be and I have noticed many other players who have experienced this issue. I have just submitted a ticket and made another forum post for Morgageddon which might bring up replies from other players. Hopefully that can help figure out if its a personal problem or one community wide.

Again, I apologize for posting in this thread about my issues, but I didn't know where else to ask for help in the forums.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

01-11-2014
78 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
In order:
A) Are there any big items/champs completely dominating? Are we in a League of Cleavers situation? Is there a Release Xin Zhao on the loose? If so, we should probably fix that.
B) Are there any champions completely useless? Like, sub 45% win rate useless? Buff them.
C) Are there any champions that FEEL overpowered/underpowered, but have win rates that fall within the average? Why is this? If it's a problem with the meta not matching their skillset or matching it too well, they might be fine, just in a good environment, or maybe a pro player just did something awesome with them. Either way, it might be a good idea to check on them.
D) You know those champs we've decided have kits that are impossible to buff? We should probably get some people on fixing their kits.
E) Atma's/Wit's End/Wriggle's item situations, where they are so situational they may as well be useless.
This will still be incomplete but its more like: (p.s. this is not perfect, so pls dont try to use this to beat up other designers for picking items lower on the list than something else, etc)
  • Are any recent design changes causing the game to be unable to ship? Resolve them
  • Do we have the resources to playtest our balance changes today?
  • Are the playtest servers and technology working? If not, find engineers or producers to help us keep working
  • Is game rewarding the right types of behaviour?
  • Are any champions distorting the game in a way that is eliminating entire classes from play? (Same question for competitive)
  • Are any champions coming up soon that are on track to diminish the variety or fun of the game experience? If so, reach out to their designers and discuss it
  • Does the shipping team need support tracking down issues or need to be communicated with to ensure a successful patch?
  • Are skins coming down the pipe potentially going to damage the readability of a character (see metal suit lux)? Test skins early to provide feedback
  • What is the state of competitive play? Is it fun, entertaining and healthy?
  • Are any systemic changes needed to income, flow or side balance?
  • What characters are "on watch" for potentially strong/weak status?
  • Has a champion been on the strong/weak board for a long time or has had enough data collected to justify investigation?
  • Does the champion belong in its category? (is Rengar an assassin, a bruiser or something in between)

... I could go on, but thats just an early list of things we discuss regularly before even reaching the "hey we might need to think about balance changes to this champion". On top of this, there's bugfixes from previous releases which can consume weeks to track down and resolve once discovered.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Better Ban Sona

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz View Post
not aimed at me, but since i am almost a red (nickname) i will reply.

i used to work at some online gaming here on my country. you remind me of people who were trying to get into my good side in order to get online poweeeers (that meant job, a position) lol.

anyway, keep following you dream and writing fancy and technical.
Eh it's kinda true :3

Though I prefer to be on everybody's goodside, not just Rioters lol. It's one of my personality quirks. Probably not the best one for me to have if I'm applying for live balance, lol >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
This will still be incomplete but its more like: (p.s. this is not perfect, so pls dont try to use this to beat up other designers for picking items lower on the list than something else, etc)
  • Are any recent design changes causing the game to be unable to ship? Resolve them
  • Do we have the resources to playtest our balance changes today?
  • Are the playtest servers and technology working? If not, find engineers or producers to help us keep working
  • Is game rewarding the right types of behaviour?
  • Are any champions distorting the game in a way that is eliminating entire classes from play? (Same question for competitive)
  • Are any champions coming up soon that are on track to diminish the variety or fun of the game experience? If so, reach out to their designers and discuss it
  • Does the shipping team need support tracking down issues or need to be communicated with to ensure a successful patch?
  • Are skins coming down the pipe potentially going to damage the readability of a character (see metal suit lux)? Test skins early to provide feedback
  • What is the state of competitive play? Is it fun, entertaining and healthy?
  • Are any systemic changes needed to income, flow or side balance?
  • What characters are "on watch" for potentially strong/weak status?
  • Has a champion been on the strong/weak board for a long time or has had enough data collected to justify investigation?
  • Does the champion belong in its category? (is Rengar an assassin, a bruiser or something in between)

... I could go on, but thats just an early list of things we discuss regularly before even reaching the "hey we might need to think about balance changes to this champion". On top of this, there's bugfixes from previous releases which can consume weeks to track down and resolve once discovered.
Thank you for this information, I'll be sure to put it to good use eventually


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

01-11-2014
79 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Ban Sona View Post
I want to participate too

1) Game breaking glitches. If anything pops up on live that can be exploited, it needs to be disabled and fixed as soon as possible. A recent example would be the Amumu abuse of the runic shield mastery.

2) Creating a healthy gameplay situation by maintaining balance among widely used characters. Many times characters are often used because they are strong in the current meta, and not because they are overtoned. Sometimes it is ok to let a character remain strong for a while and see how the public reacts and changes their gameplay to accommodate.

3) Perpetuate role diversity by experimenting with mechanics changes for different roles. Drive wedges between roles by making characters more unique, while still mixing roles to accommodate what different types of players want fulfilled. For example, the support class underwent a load of changes recently, many of which I do not care for personally, but I understand why the live balance team would take it in this direction. They are trying to solidify the support role into their own utility class, and even if they feel slightly undertoned right now, the levers are in place to fix this, and the game can be healthier as a whole.

4) Nerfing overpowered champions. If enough research is done and a champion is really deemed to strong, maybe its time to remove a little power in the proper areas. (I feel many times this isn't necessarily done right, but that's my personal opinion).

5) Buffing champions that have remained slightly weak. Often times a few small changes here and there can bring a champion back into the limelight, for example the mana buffs to Nasus.

6) Buffing vastly underplayed and underpowered champions. These are often champions that used to be overpowered, and were nerfed into "Eve tier" due to their nature. Fixes often take a lot of work, and the dedicated fanbase usually seems 50/50 on the results.

How did I do?
This is a good set of priorities within those categories - it misses a lot of the organization example, but your heart is in the right place.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HuFOHr9aGj

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Ban Sona View Post
Eh it's kinda true :3

Though I prefer to be on everybody's goodside, not just Rioters lol. It's one of my personality quirks. Probably not the best one for me to have if I'm applying for live balance, lol >.>
i know! i just dont do that because i really dont care lol.
but seriously, good luck.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
This will still be incomplete but its more like: (p.s. this is not perfect, so pls dont try to use this to beat up other designers for picking items lower on the list than something else, etc)
  • Are any recent design changes causing the game to be unable to ship? Resolve them
  • Do we have the resources to playtest our balance changes today?
  • Are the playtest servers and technology working? If not, find engineers or producers to help us keep working
  • Is game rewarding the right types of behaviour?
  • Are any champions distorting the game in a way that is eliminating entire classes from play? (Same question for competitive)
  • Are any champions coming up soon that are on track to diminish the variety or fun of the game experience? If so, reach out to their designers and discuss it
  • Does the shipping team need support tracking down issues or need to be communicated with to ensure a successful patch?
  • Are skins coming down the pipe potentially going to damage the readability of a character (see metal suit lux)? Test skins early to provide feedback
  • What is the state of competitive play? Is it fun, entertaining and healthy?
  • Are any systemic changes needed to income, flow or side balance?
  • What characters are "on watch" for potentially strong/weak status?
  • Has a champion been on the strong/weak board for a long time or has had enough data collected to justify investigation?
  • Does the champion belong in its category? (is Rengar an assassin, a bruiser or something in between)

... I could go on, but thats just an early list of things we discuss regularly before even reaching the "hey we might need to think about balance changes to this champion". On top of this, there's bugfixes from previous releases which can consume weeks to track down and resolve once discovered.
Huh. Didn't know live balance dealt with stuff like bugfixes.

Yeah, I'm a moron. Sorry, ignore me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Xelnath beginning to post just at twilight's end this evening, as Uranus passes into its final third of the sky.

Uranus, named for Ouranos, the Greek 'sky', and occasionally termed "rainmaker".

Clearly this indicates that Riot has finished the final stages of a project, which may likely be revealed this coming Monday!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

01-11-2014
80 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
Huh. Didn't know live balance dealt with stuff like bugfixes.

Yeah, I'm a moron. Sorry, ignore me.
That's far from their only job - everyone works on bugfixes because everyone causes bugs... except me... yeah... I've totally never broken anything... ever.

... yeah...

... actually, Morello doesn't do implementation work, so he actually doesn't cause bugs. Chew on THAT for a moment. O.o


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HuFOHr9aGj

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
This is a good set of priorities within those categories - it misses a lot of the organization example, but your heart is in the right place.
truth is they all just typed this out of a whim.
not much time to organize and stuff.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

01-11-2014
81 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Xelnath beginning to post just at twilight's end this evening, as Uranus passes into it's final third of the sky.

Uranus, named for Ouranos, the Greek 'sky', and occasionally termed "rainmaker".

Clearly this indicates that Riot has finished the final stages of a project, which may likely be revealed this coming Monday!
... I'm going back to bed.

Or work. Ya know, just to keep you guessing and paranoid.