When will RIOT come back to their forums?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaiber

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
I actually don't do support work, but if you want, email Xelnath@riotgames.com - and if its a real issue that isn't handled by our support team (and they do a lot...) I'll talk about it to Morgageddon.
Xelnath, thank you very much for your help. If you wish to know, my screen freezes about a second away from my deaths every single game. In that time, I know I could pull off a quick flash or barrier or even character ability and I might survive, but I never get that option. I've looked it up and seems like other people have had this issue as well. I'll ask for Morgageddon's help as soon as I can. Thanks again, sir!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CrimsonBlader24

Senior Member

01-11-2014

@WizardCrab There was a conversation with IronStylus a while ago about Skin Costume Changes (see link below). Has anything developed related to this that you know of?

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=2945200


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnonTwo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelElite View Post
I know, but they don't need to spend work time doing it, or they could browse the forums during a lunch break or something, like I do. Just look for anything interesting for 5 minutes or so, reply if you find anything, leave if you don't.
I'm gonna be honest, that sounds mean spirited

Telling people to spend their work break relaxing, visiting a forum of people who mostly want to bash them for things they may not have done wrong?

I mean, that's their break, that's when they're supposed to relax. Do you really think GD is relaxing?
Quote:
The biggest problem I see with that is that I play lol for fun, and browse the forums for the same reason. I would imagine it might be different for someone whose job is lol. I'm mostly making stuff up, I've never had a job, so I don't know how much free time you guys have, but I would imagine that given how relatively rarely patches comeout, spending a few hours talking everything over before making final decisions couldn't take TOO long.
The main issue is, and you have to remember:
You have no negative side effects for anything you say on the forums
The same is not remotely the same for Rioters

This is most of why forums aren't always going to be a positive experience worth giving up your lunch for.

Quote:
on that pic is somewhat even worse, though in a different way.
i already have an established view about how poppy is, so when looking at your anime uguh poppy i will still relate that view and add another one about the more or less tsundere look.

instead of getting one negative on my tastes it ends up getting two.
(but seriously. i skipped your two or three posts entirely)


Quote:
Xelnath, thank you very much for your help. If you wish to know, my screen freezes about a second away from my deaths every single game. In that time, I know I could pull off a quick flash or barrier or even character ability and I might survive, but I never get that option. I've looked it up and seems like other people have had this issue as well. I'll ask for Morgageddon's help as soon as I can. Thanks again, sir!
Freezes?

As in for a few seconds, or restart required?

Could be the GTX 8800 family acting up (if you have that graphics card). I know for a fact the issues relating to that family of cards were never fixed.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

01-11-2014
73 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
Here's the thing about live balance. They're the same ones who decided 'welp, Karma has a difficult kit to balance. Let's not even try.' and left her like that for years. It's difficult to hear 'we'll fix it if we get it wrong' because I hear 'we might fix it next patch, or it might take a year or two for a rework.'

And I get it, you have more important things to do then to ensue that every champion is viable, but it's still irritating to ask for any updates and not even get a 'nothing new, sorry!'
I generally ignore posts that are so one-sided, but this crosses the line where I need to respond.

I get it - you don't get to make the calls, so you want to voice your disagreement with the priorities picked.
I get it - you don't like the results sometimes.

That said, we can't fix every champ on a turn of a dime. Some champs are undertuned to keep them from being abusive. Some have been neglected for a while in an overpowered early game state (Riven, Gragas) and we need to look at them, evaluate them and put in a ton of work to get them in a place where they can survive 2-3 years of new champion design work.

There's a reason bruiser changes - particularly to the power curves - are slow and spread out. They need to be tested and explored.

You feel annoyed, I acknowledge it - but the story your words tell is that you don't trust the people who bust their ass for months trying to make an awesome experience. They're doing what they can - and an important point of that is to get the very worst experiences out of the pool for the millions of players who will enjoy the game when a broken champion is crushing it.

Have I interpreted this wrongly? If you're just venting, I understand. If you genuinely don't believe in the balance guys - I'll be the first to stand up and speak on their behalf.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SentinelElite

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Yup... after working alongside the core gameplay team (balance, summoners rift features, seasons, etc) I really trust the work they do overall. Plus if they make a mistake and a champion doesn't turn out the way they want it - they will fix it over time.

I don't have access to shyvana's numbers, but the changes *always* feel like an attack on you - but they generally help make the game a lot healthier. Its easy to lose perspective in a single match... but the balance team really works their ass off for you.
I know they do, and Shyvana was more of an example than anything else. I wasn't trying to complain, sorry if it sounded that way, she's not even getting hit that hard, but it feels to an average former that Riot listens to whichever group complains the loudest. A lot of that feeling comes because there are a lot of arguments against nerfs for every champion that I don't ever see addressed, and it often looks like Riot just ignores them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Better Ban Sona

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
I generally ignore posts that are so one-sided, but this crosses the line where I need to respond.

I get it - you don't get to make the calls, so you want to voice your disagreement with the priorities picked.
I get it - you don't like the results sometimes.

That said, we can't fix every champ on a turn of a dime. Some champs are undertuned to keep them from being abusive. Some have been neglected for a while in an overpowered early game state (Riven, Gragas) and we need to look at them, evaluate them and put in a ton of work to get them in a place where they can survive 2-3 years of new champion design work.

There's a reason bruiser changes - particularly to the power curves - are slow and spread out. They need to be tested and explored.

You feel annoyed, I acknowledge it - but the story your words tell is that you don't trust the people who bust their ass for months trying to make an awesome experience. They're doing what they can - and an important point of that is to get the very worst experiences out of the pool for the millions of players who will enjoy the game when a broken champion is crushing it.
From a game developer stand point, I'm still trying to learn and understand how to handle this. I plan on applying to the balance team in the near future, are there any specific tips you can give involving how to handle public opinion like this?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SentinelElite

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonTwo View Post
I'm gonna be honest, that sounds mean spirited

Telling people to spend their work break relaxing, visiting a forum of people who mostly want to bash them for things they may not have done wrong?

I mean, that's their break, that's when they're supposed to relax. Do you really think GD is relaxing.
Re-reading that, it does sound way meaner than it's intended to be, but trying to type/read/edit on a phone is miserable. Sorry about that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
I generally ignore posts that are so one-sided, but this crosses the line where I need to respond.

I get it - you don't get to make the calls, so you want to voice your disagreement with the priorities picked.
I get it - you don't like the results sometimes.

That said, we can't fix every champ on a turn of a dime. Some champs are undertuned to keep them from being abusive. Some have been neglected for a while in an overpowered early game state (Riven, Gragas) and we need to look at them, evaluate them and put in a ton of work to get them in a place where they can survive 2-3 years of new champion design work.

There's a reason bruiser changes - particularly to the power curves - are slow and spread out. They need to be tested and explored.

You feel annoyed, I acknowledge it - but the story your words tell is that you don't trust the people who bust their ass for months trying to make an awesome experience. They're doing what they can - and an important point of that is to get the very worst experiences out of the pool for the millions of players who will enjoy the game when a broken champion is crushing it.
Yeah, that was out of line. Sorry. I just get so irritated. I like this game, I want it to succeed, I just get irritated about the live balance's design priorities and their lack of communication. Like, we get a few years of nothing, and then a giant change, and even then it took a couple of giant complaint threads to even get a reason as to why they're changing her kit in the first place.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnonTwo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelElite View Post
Re-reading that, it does sound way meaner than it's intended to be, but trying to type/read/edit on a phone is miserable. Sorry about that.
Ah, i would advise against all typing on phones if possible

But that's because i've never had a good time writing a message on a phone. Worse is when you accidentally press a back button on the touchpad and lose everything you type.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Better Ban Sona

Senior Member

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
Yeah, that was out of line. Sorry. I just get so irritated. I like this game, I want it to succeed, I just get irritated about the live balance's design priorities.
Looks like I have a lot to look forward to lol >.<

This is gonna be fun