@Xypherous/Meddler/CertainlyT: Is having 2 taunt abilities on one Champion toxic?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yousonerfed

01-11-2014

In making one of my concepts, I've gotten a lot of comments saying that having 2 taunt-capable abilities on it is potentially a toxic design, but I have my doubts.

Could I get a qualified opinion? Leona and Amumu have multiple stuns, but they aren't called toxic, right? Is there something different about taunt effects?

The kit in question can be found here: http://community.na.leagueoflegends....-dark-crusader

I'd like to keep in the taunts if possible, as this Champion is designed to be an anti-carry tank/fighter.

Not Commando Yi

01-11-2014

i think a global taunt is the worst

nerf teemo

Yousonerfed

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Commando Yi View Post
i think a global taunt is the worst

nerf teemo
Indeed it is.

Yousonerfed

01-11-2014

Bump.

LifeSmash

01-11-2014

Stuns are almost strictly better than taunts, since you will take damage if you taunt somebody. Exceptions include Thornmail-like effects, catching someone under tower, wanting them to walk toward you, and probably some other things.

It probably depends on the rest of the kit.

NotKirin

01-11-2014

It depends on the numbers and implementation. Naut has 3 sources of hard cc but isn't considered toxic

Splurged

01-11-2014

Taunt != stun.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

01-11-2014
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Wouldn't personally consider it inherently toxic, whether it's good design would depend on what reason you had for wanting multiple taunts (as opposed to other CC types) on the kit though. Taunts give you varying effectiveness against different roles, less effectiveness when doing poorly, the ability to somewhat reposition the target and increased accessibility to effects that trigger when your champion is hit. If it's appropriate that a champion doubles up on CC that fits those criteria (and almost certainly some others I'm forgetting) then sure, two taunts might be a good choice. Not something I'd expect to be a common situation myself, not an inviolate 'never do this' rule though.

Yousonerfed

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Wouldn't personally consider it inherently toxic, whether it's good design would depend on what reason you had for wanting multiple taunts (as opposed to other CC types) on the kit though. Taunts give you varying effectiveness against different roles, less effectiveness when doing poorly, the ability to somewhat reposition the target and increased accessibility to effects that trigger when your champion is hit. If it's appropriate that a champion doubles up on CC that fits those criteria (and almost certainly some others I'm forgetting) then sure, two taunts might be a good choice. Not something I'd expect to be a common situation myself, not an inviolate 'never do this' rule though.
Thanks. To put it in perspective, my Champion's passive is as follows:
Quote:
Every fourth hit Nephry takes from basic attacks, she will perform a counterattack, dealing 10+(5*level) physical damage to all nearby enemies (200 range). The damage also scales off 40% of Nephry's armor and magic resistance. This effect cannot occur more than once per second. If Nephry does not take damage for 6 seconds, the hit counter resets to 0.
Basically it's Axe's Counter Helix from DotA All-Stars, but based on a hit counter instead of a 17% chance.

Sincarnation

01-11-2014

As for feedback interesting theme, but doesnt really match up with taunt for me (visually). But the more i think about it most champs with taunts dont really look like they should taunt either.

I dont think riot would do anything like that because seem to dislike anti-role champs such as kass and LB.