When will RIOT come back to their forums?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Auhphromoo

Better Ban Sona

01-11-2014

Wow, still gotta catch up a lot on this thread, but huge respect for WizardCrab!

WizardCrab

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eCommerce Associate

Follow WizardCrab on Twitter

01-11-2014
52 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerothal View Post
I will try to translate his request, as i think you are talking at each other but missing the target.
OP wants to know if Riot as a company is endorsing reddit over this very forum.
You made clear that you post more on this forum than on the sub reddit.
That's good to know.
Is the posting on either forum then a purely personal choice?
Can we expect an actual stance on the matter?
As it is right now, members of the community who prefer THIS forum here, feel abandoned because there are more red posts and answers on the sub reddit.
Are there talks about closing one or the other forum?

(i hope my interpretation is kind of correct)
I see. Posting at all is any Rioter's personal choice. And where they post is also a personal choice. There are no plans to shut down forums that I know of.

Riot Blackrook

QA Analyst

01-11-2014
53 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittrock View Post
Yo Blackrook! Nice to see one of your first posts. You should do an AMA if you're comfortable with that sort of thing in a new thread! Because no one knows who you are or what you do >.>

If you're not up to that, maybe a quick post in this thread. I'm curious who you are, how long you've been at Riot, what you did before, what team you QA for, what your favorite champion is, and any other cool things about yourself you'd like to add!
Sorry for late response-- I was in a game

I personally don't think an AMA is appropriate simply because new people at Riot aren't exactly special right now because we're expanding so quickly... I personally was part of a new class of like 15 other people.

However, I just created a twitter today @RiotBlackrook if you want to ask questions but I don't know how to use it so bare with me.

Banuvan

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonTwo View Post
So let me get this straight

His options are:
-Ignore the guy as he continues to repost the thread

-Wait for a response with the rest of his crew and get bashed as being untrustworthy

-Give an immediate, uninformed response and likely piss off both the customers and Riot, and possibly be reprimanded

Am i getting this right?

Do you really think anything positive will come from putting the pressure on a rioter to respond?

Also, keep this in mind:
Just because a threads been around for 8 months, doesn't mean Riot knows it's been around for 8 months.
It was on the front page for quite a while. Been bumped for months. Never a response by Riot....in 8 months...in any fashion.

This goes back to another problem with the forums. No moderation. Why is there trouble that a well thought out thread such as that one would be gone from the front page in under a minute while silly threads bashing people based on their ranking? Why would you possibly want a well thought out thread to be replaced with a silly thread? Through all of this what has riot done? Started posting on reddit more except for a few people who post on here. Those of us who remember the days when a thread such as that one would be addressed by Riot ( even with a simple hey good post, we will get an answer for you asap ) within a day or two want to go back to that type of communication and commitment with Riot.

Mandaari

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
I see. Posting at all is any Rioter's personal choice. And where they post is also a personal choice. There are no plans to shut down forums that I know of.
What about the community beta? The rate at which reds post there is miniscule compared to here. I get that it's in beta but it's pretty much Riot's own reddit.

Better Ban Sona

01-11-2014

Quote:
Er, what happened to the "Community Program" that was spoken of earlier, that was basically supposedly going to turn the forums into Riot's own version of Reddit here on this site? I think that's what was meant by a shutdown of GD and the forums here in general.

If I can speak for the group here, I think most of us prefer the forums the way they are now, for a plethora of reasons. The addition of FEK provides us with tons of options that go above and beyond what the new community beta has to offer, and as for FEK updates, there seems to be much more coming on the horizon.

Speaking of which, do you yourself use FEK? I spoke with another Rioter recently who was confused about the program, because he thought he would need to input his personal details linked to his Riot account. This actually isn't true at all, as you only need an account if you plan to upload an avatar, which as a red, you probably wouldn't need or want to do that anyways. FEK can still run purely as an add-on that alters the appearance and behaviors of the forum, without having to create an account linked to it.

Elewd

01-11-2014

Quote:
there is no plan to shutdown forums, that much most of the frequenters here know, however, the entire style of the forums is turning into a copy-paste of Reddit, and many people here use the forums for the sole purpose of not having to deal with reddits layout.

WizardCrab

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eCommerce Associate

Follow WizardCrab on Twitter

01-11-2014
54 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana A Deviluke View Post
I'd like to - but the strict refund policy makes it hard.

I had a skin taken off my account entirely that I've never even used because with the strict refund policy in place I wasn't allowed to return something I never even used....

I won't be spending another dime on League because of that...

We should be able to refund items we never use - and use a refund token on items that we have used. Even if it was only 1 time.
I would implore you not to buy products anywhere that you aren't planning on using. But I'll have to think on this.

Muranodo

01-11-2014

Quote:
This will be addressed soon. That's all I'm saying for now
I'll be looking forward to hearing here. I can personally comment that I did enjoy some of the
last skin pricing reassessments that dropped some odd-out 975 skins to the 520 tier.

Quote:
It does get dicier. The world of pricing strategy is super complex. Plus the skin designers keep coming up with cooler and cooler stuff and we don't want to make it all legendary. One thing I can say is that releasing products at a discount, like we do for all 1350 skins, is completely contrary to any properly designed pricing strategy. This 100%, absolutely, definitely loses us money. That is for you guys.
I do want to highlight what I've bolded here. Because I do believe the community tends to forget it.
I can't speak to the particular research about how the player base on the large buys their own skins; I'll take the release of Creator Viktor. I had been waiting for a Viktor skin; I bought it during the sale period. The particular motivations here were based off Viktor's long period without a skin; the new particles which created value. Therein, I could have been lead into an impulse buy for 1350 due to the value/want. So it is absolutely true that this process is contrary.

Quote:
Everyone has there own value attributed to a product. Provided it isn't a necessity that one has to buy: Someone will look at a product, look at its price tag, if the value of that product (taking into account the opportunity cost of not buying other things with that money) is greater for the individual than the price tag, and they have the money, they will buy it. But that initial value is different for everybody.

Example: The 2013 Lamborghini Aventador sticker price is about $400K. I do not value this product at $400K. Even if I had $400K or even $400 million lying around, I would never buy this product. I simply don't value it at that much. If it were $5,000 however, I'd probably buy one. So there is a price somewhere between $5,000 and $400K where I value this product. But just because I value it there doesn't mean Lanborghini should price it at $5,000. This product just isn't for me.

Same for 1350RP skins. Please don't buy them if they aren't worth 1350RP to you. Wait till they're on sale. Or if they're not worth 675 RP to you, don't buy them at all. In eCommerce, we begin every presentation we make with our mission statement, which says something along the lines of:

"We want players to spend money in League of Legends not because they have to, but because they want to. And we want them to feel good about the money they've spent afterwards."

And that's the basis by which we make decisions. So by all means, don't buy the skins that you don't value if you're going to feel bad about your purchase. Buy the stuff that you love.
I remember Morello pointing out this particular example in a similar form in the past.

My only devil's advocate add-on here would be that, well, this is true and a perfectly reasonable answer as a business. However, I find this is what draws a majority of flack by the player base because it creates a veil of unchanging policy (for better or worse) on e-commerce matters. The bottom line is you either choose to pay or not to pay with some sale options.

A lot of what I've noted (in common complaint threads) within GD is about content generation/shifts/chances/Riot to respond to the dynamic player base.

I believe the onset of bundles has some impact thus far to a degree here as it's a more represented way now to get the content you want. However, I feel like old strategies like the brought up Surprise Party Fiddlesticks pricing as a gift to the community would help more here when combined with the different pricing tiers. This is just a side thought; I can't say if it represents the entire community either. However, I feel a lot of the flack, as I mentioned, is focused on players feeling like they can pull from a small pool and have a good guess on what the exact pricing will be.

In comparison, they may compare to DOTA 2's shop and compare how some of their cosmetic pricing is handled. This gets into why I said Riot's response is perfectly reasonable for a business; I think some more consideration here (which is likely already underway) would help this subject.

Quote:
This is true of everybody. It's great to be able to recognize it and see that there are multiple sides
I know the playerbase gets passionate here, so I try to watch myself when I do the same. Your reply is appreciated.