When will RIOT come back to their forums?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WizardCrab

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eCommerce Associate

Follow WizardCrab on Twitter

01-11-2014
38 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvanas valeria View Post
@Wizard crab. Why are you changing rengar's q to such a low duration you can hold it? I know the counter play was a bit low but common. He is an assassin.
I'm personally doing nothing of the sort

lightdragoon88

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
I agree, which is why, for instance, we refunded everybody who ever bought a limited edition skin that we re-released.

And yet those people still whined about it.....

Still...you made a lot more people happy then mad so it was a good call.

P.S. Wizards rule.

Chris Green

01-11-2014

Quote:
I don't think people consciously "ditch the forums." It's just that when some version of every word you say becomes a promise it makes you think twice about posting.
I disagree with you strongly. Many reds have been attempting to move people to reddit, instead of just updating the forums.

There is a strong difference between a promise and tossing out ideas and opinions. The thing is most promises by reds are never kept, and when things change you don't tell us what's happening.

MackleDoge

01-11-2014

I don't see why you don't just ignore the portion of the community that is obviously rubbish. Who cares if someone is butthurt about the prices? If people are spending and it's lead to increased profits then its clearly working. I get that you don't want to have to go on the forums and see people flaming Riot or Riot employees, but I think it's pretty simple to just ignore those people and focus on the portion of the community that is being positive and actually attempting to ask legitimate questions.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yordle Junior View Post
I think the issue, is that people are expecting 1350RP QUALITY skins for 950 RP... and complaining when Riot makes 1350 QUALITY skins for 1350 RP.

That's what I think the issue is, they want the quality, but don't want to pay for it...
There are several camps that I've noted on the matter of skin pricing.

*There are those concerned about skins fitting the bracket due to their guidelines (Pink Taric is most obviously mentioned); they are not satisfied with some of the answers given like geometry changes for it

*There are those who stick to previous Riot spoken commentary as gospel truth. If you were around pre-1350 skin increasing occurrence, there was the statement that Riot wanted to offer value on some skins without increasing the price (think Blackthorne Morgana/Sad Robot Amumu release range). Kha'Zix was to be a special case with his mecha skin. This is where we go into strategy change talks; the matter gets dicier.

*Some players also feel, to a degree, that their dollar is not valuable due to what is being given back despite the skin price increases. These may be beta players/other players that consider themselves to be around veteran tier. For instance, I received a small RP stipend in season 2 for being a good player. There wasn't really any of this in season 3; the main free reward was icons (free can be a bit loaded as some are gifting/RP tied). Thus, overall skin pricing is attacked as a sign of greed due to a perceived lack of good will.

Personally, I can attest my own feelings blur as personal bias mixes with the above three at points. I can see both sides.

WizardCrab

eCommerce Associate

01-11-2014
39 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Zephyreal View Post
I obviously can't speak for all Rioters, but I think this is largely a perception issue more than an actual issue of Riot abandoning the forums for Reddit.

Without knowing the specific reasons why it happens (honestly I don't), there are a few reasons I can think of as to why a Rioter would post on Reddit rather than the forums in any given instance:
-The most common one I believe is that the Rioter posting on Reddit is, in fact, a Redditor (is that a word?). That's probably just the main site they use to see what's going on in the community, and they are just more comfortable there. For example, I read both Reddit and the forums (forums way more often), but I prefer posting on the forums (and Twitter if that counts). Recently, I have only seen Magus post on Reddit, but I've only ever seen Morgageddon post on the forums. Xelnath and CertainlyT (to name a few) post on both. I'm also certain there are tons of Rioters who don't use either, and stick to other mediums of communication such as Twitter.
-As far as I know, there is nobody forcing a Rioter to post specifically in Reddit or the forums or any one place over the other. Comfort is a huge point, but it could be that a topic a Rioter wants to address was put up on Reddit but not on the forums. For any big topics, like the preseason 4 introduction posts, you saw the Rioters involved with those taking the initiative on both Reddit and the forums. So I highly doubt there is any sort of "I'm going to spite the forums and only post on Reddit" mindset going on here, or any managers/bosses of Rioters forcing them to stick to Reddit only.
-Maybe it's just that the Rioters that do post on Reddit are more vocal than the Rioters who prefer the forums. Again, few reasons that could account for this: The Rioters are more vocal in general... the pressure and expectations WizardCrab talked about is less so on Reddit (?), there are more Riot-response friendly topics on Reddit than the forums, etc.

To add on to WizardCrab's posts about the lack of Riot posts in the forums recently in general, I'm pretty sure he hit the mark when he was talking about how busy Riot was (and still is) starting a few months ago. We've had preseason 4, 3 events, and a 4th event coming up... all in a matter of 3-4 months. I used to post on the forums every so often, even in joke threads or whatever, but haven't really had much time to do so. That doesn't mean we don't read the forums though (I know I make at least one visit per day).

As far as the content of the posts themselves... I do believe that on the forums there is somewhat of a sense that it would be better if subject matter experts (aka the guys who get paid to handle the content being discussed) would be the best Rioters to hold a conversation in the thread. For example, whatever merits I think I have to engage in a talk about high level gameplay, the most visible thing people will see about me when I post is: I'm Gold ranked, and I work in Player Support. Those two things aren't exactly screaming "Listen to me because I know more than everyone else" when it comes to gameplay.

Plus when it comes to things we don't have control over, like future plans, release dates, etc... It would be terrible if someone outside of the team commits that team and the LoL community to an expectation. It's like me saying Season 4 is set to start tomorrow, but I don't even work on the team that decides that, and now that team has pressure to release it tomorrow (and I'm likely getting reprimanded). There's also a few instances of when things were presented that probably could've been done with more tact and the aftermath wasn't what I would consider "sexy". But hey, as WizardCrab said, we're human and we make mistakes.

Ultimately, outside of teams who require interaction with the community as part of their job function (community team and balance team are the two that come to my mind) I don't think any Rioter is forced to post on here, Reddit, or anywhere else. Most of us probably who do post probably do so because we simply enjoy it and feel we can contribute. If those two factors aren't met for a Rioter, I wouldn't blame that Rioter at all for not posting.

I think I covered most of the concerns from my perspective, but like I said I do read the forums daily so if there is something that I feel I can contribute to, I'll try once I have more time.

PS:
Sorry for invading your Q&A WizardCrab, please continue... and don't hurt me T_T
It's not my Q&A. GET IN HERE!

WizardCrab

eCommerce Associate

01-11-2014
40 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yordle Junior View Post
I think the issue, is that people are expecting 1350RP QUALITY skins for 950 RP... and complaining when Riot makes 1350 QUALITY skins for 1350 RP.

That's what I think the issue is, they want the quality, but don't want to pay for it...

WizardCrab

eCommerce Associate

01-11-2014
41 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdragoon88 View Post
Still...you made a lot more people happy then mad so it was a good call.
This is the best we hoped for unfortunately...

Banuvan

01-11-2014

Quote:
Example (Not a real number because I don't have them in front of me):

What if I said that we surveyed people about which skins they liked the most or were most likely to buy, and they said rated 1350 RP skin at the highest with a 4.1 on a scale of 5, and every other skin was 3.9 or lower. People would still just call bull****. There's no way to prove this.

Just like the forums are a small majority of people so are your surveys. They don't show a true enough portion of the population. Why not put the polls in the client like the news? Put the poll up there instead of the stupid youtube videos. LEt poeple vote there and see the results. Easy fix. I've said it before. You guys make **** way too difficult.

Chris Green

01-11-2014

Quote:
...and this is why people don't respect reds. You've been bombarded with angry responses about going against your word, not specifically prices of skins. You're still not listening