Hey, how's it going tonight?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OMG halp meh plz

01-07-2014

Hi Xelnath

I was wondering what Riot's long term plans are in terms of skins. In contrast to your humble beginnings, you guys are now literally and figuratively rolling in cash and Morello buys a new Ferrari every year; despite that, the game is still in a rather primitive state in terms of skins/splash (NIDALEE SPLASH LOL).

This game is now about 4 years old and is the most popular game worldwide, yet overall the skin selection is sorely lacking. Some champions got shafted hard, others enjoy multiple skins but still lack the diversity players would like.

When SGU came out, it was said it took 9 months to make. I won't comment on that, but I will ask this : if it takes nearly a year for a single ultimate skin, does that mean that most champs will never have an ultimate skin? What about legendary skins? You can make the defense that you have more than one employee making skins, but if 2013 is any indicator, the rate of skin production is WAAAYYYY too slow.

Do you have any plans to increase the amount of employees working on skin production?

TL;DR - I want an ultimate Soraka skin, and I want it before LoL eventually dies and is replaced, as is the fate of all video games.

Balfourthejedi

01-07-2014

I felt things were going great until i saw the kassadin changes reverted. Kassadin was my first main and is my favorite champion, and i hate him being in an overtuned state as it means hes always banned, and i feel bad for playing as him, I was really happy to see him with a jungler-esque kit bringing back the days of hybrid Kassadin with his armor pen W in the jungle.

Also first time in a Xelnath thread, you seem like a great rioter.

Now then onto questions,

Whats your opinion on Kassadin being a viable jungler? do you think it could it result in him getting olafd due to "toxicity" like alistar or would it be a nice home for him to avoid his terribad lane phase.

Also, Ive only played with one rioter before, and was wondering how often you guys take requests for games, or if thats only for those 1000th win people and whatnot.

Finally, Have you ever played full damage jungle garen? Im talking Hydra/IE/Swiftness/Ghostblade,my god its fun.

Zan Vorez

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2014

Xelnath, how do these make you feel?

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3956405

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4160880

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4173653

Honestly, where are the MILLIONS Riot makes a year going? I love league and I'm really worried the higher ups are content with the money they are making by doing virtually nothing innovative with the game.

There's barely even any communication. You're one of the few who actually gets immersed in the community. Remember when Riot did stuff for the Holidays? Now it's hey, look at all this nice stuff we have for you... that you have to buy. Yeah, very generous to the gamers who literally paid your salaries. Do you every worry your overlords will just abandon the game with the ridiculous cash in tow and just let it die, to retire somewhere nice?

archangelfighter

01-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
okay! *carebear friendship stare*
YEAH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry me Syndra View Post
I actually have yet to blacklist anyone, each of the trolls are entertaining in their own way.

Thing is, if Xelnath here specifically calls out these people, you can be sure GD will raise pitchforks against them if GD ever gets changed/closed.
Eh, I find them to be incredibly tiring and repetitive. What was funny at first has kind of dwindled into a spiraling cesspool of ****posts and circlejerking among the trolls.

SkinnerBlade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
I think that if you're spamming his buttons constantly you *should* pay a cost. Horsies get tired and he's not an opponent with a lot of windows aside from playing keep-away.
But it shouldn't go to the point of where you quickly run out of mana, should it? If we are talking about windows for counter play here, then argue that healing reduction from Morellonomicon can be used effectively against him to reduce his tankiness. Also, ever since you guys made the CC immune ults change (Malph, Hec, Jarvan, etc.) CC became a lot more effective. I would also argue that he doesn't have any sticking power. His 2 forms of CC and gapclosers are on long cooldowns and has to continually run at people until those are back up.

I also hate to compare champions, but Udyr's mana costs become non existent late game, and the only thing you can do is dash/blink or run away faster than him or somehow fight him with his high damage.

KiteAzure

01-07-2014

Do you think jinx and some what of lucian in the future will be on par with the other adcs? In either buffing others or nerfing, or does the balance team think they are in a good spot?

TioMono

01-07-2014

Do you have any thoughts on the people that are saying stealth champs and traps are too strong right now with the preseason changes?

TSM SpaceBalls

01-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelfighter View Post
Eh, I find them to be incredibly tiring and repetitive. What was funny at first has kind of dwindled into a spiraling cesspool of ****posts and circlejerking among the trolls.
I have been on GD for over a year now, mostly lurking, and I can say it wouldnt be the same if you would not be the same if it wasnt for some well known figures.

It has litterally become a little community where people know who likes what and who makes threads about which topic.

Ray2Saucy

Xelnath

Systems Designer

01-07-2014
19 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG halp meh plz View Post
Hi Xelnath

I was wondering what Riot's long term plans are in terms of skins. In contrast to your humble beginnings, you guys are now literally and figuratively rolling in cash and Morello buys a new Ferrari every year; despite that, the game is still in a rather primitive state in terms of skins/splash (NIDALEE SPLASH LOL).
... Morello drives the crappiest, beatup little car ever. He doesn't want to lose something nice in the LA traffic.

Quote:

This game is now about 4 years old and is the most popular game worldwide, yet overall the skin selection is sorely lacking. Some champions got shafted hard, others enjoy multiple skins but still lack the diversity players would like.
There's a limit to how many skins we can make. Last time I looked we had like... a lot on the planning board and 4-5 times as many ideas that were concepted, but didn't more forward. With > 110 champions, there's only so much love you can share in a single patch.

Quote:

When SGU came out, it was said it took 9 months to make. I won't comment on that, but I will ask this : if it takes nearly a year for a single ultimate skin, does that mean that most champs will never have an ultimate skin? What about legendary skins? You can make the defense that you have more than one employee making skins, but if 2013 is any indicator, the rate of skin production is WAAAYYYY too slow.
Yep, I think that's accurate - its unlikely every character will have an ultimate skin. Ultimate skins are about an amazing concept that just grips the team so hard that we know players will want to try it! It's about an amazing inspiration that just sweeps you off your feet and go "I gotta have this"

That said, I'm floored you love our skins so much you want more of them. I know that alone makes our art team beam with pride. Just wait till you see the next few champions - WOW!

Quote:

Do you have any plans to increase the amount of employees working on skin production?

TL;DR - I want an ultimate Soraka skin, and I want it before LoL eventually dies and is replaced, as is the fate of all video games.
I can't really comment on that, its just outside my area. That's like asking me if we intended to increase the bandwidth between spain and portugal by 7.3%