Hey, how's it going tonight?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ProfDrDeath

01-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
This is a good question - when we went into Preseason 4, we had a priority list of things we wanted to resolve. A deep-dive on the state of toplane was one of them - We made some initial stabs when we realized there's a lot of work to be done there.

Scarizard, CertainlyT and a couple other designers were working together on it, but it became quickly clear its a big issue we can't tackle in a single patch.
Can you confirm or deny which of these perceived problems might me hitting the mark?

The newer manaless champions in general are too good top lane, as they don't possess enough weaknesses for not being constrained by a second resource/no resource at all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfDrDeath View Post

How do resource systems work?
Mana - Not limiting in the short term, limiting in the long term - mana pools are usually decently sized, but only fill up slowly.
Energy - Limiting in the short term, but not the long one, due to a small pool with fast regeneration. Basically, the opposite of mana.
Health - As mana, but with a twist. Flat health costs (Mundo, Vlad, Morde) are more limiting in the early game, while %-based health costs (Zac, Aatrox) are relevant all game.
No resources - No limit in the long term, limiting in the short term (or, at least, used to - now, resourceless champions have all the things the resource users have, and more).

The main problem of resourceless champions lies in the fact that the more recent resourceless champions do not give up much for being so:
Old resourceless:
Garen - Has no sticking CC and rather longish CDs. Kit is good at what it does - fighting melees- but doesn't do much else. Clear cut weaknesses and strengths.
Katarina - No CC at all. Rather low base damages (due to resets). No sustain. Her main problem is tied to her resets, not to her being resourceless - she could have mana and have the same kind of problem.

Intermediate resourceless:
Renekton - Partially limited by fury empowering his abilities. However, already has a kit that contains basically everything - sustain (health regeneration), mobility, Arpen, damage, AoE damage...However, he still lacks a ranged damage tool.
Tryndamere - Kit also contains everything but hard CC. However, really reliant on auto-attacks and ramping up. Autoattacks, which can be countered quite well (Masteries, Doran's Shield, Tabi, RO, FH). Also, no ranged damage.
Riven - Kit contains hypermobility, two short hard CC, two steroids, AoE damage, sustain (shield). However, she lacks spammable ranged damage.

New resourceless:
Rengar - Overloaded kit with almost everything. Gapcloser, Offensive and Defensive Steroid, CC for chasing, ranged damage, sustain, Stealth with MS buff... Only thing he really lacks is hard, interrupting CC. Also, AoE damage is subpar.
Yasuo - Kit contains a lot of stuff, again. Sustain/anti-poke, Hard CC, virtually limitless dashes, utility, long-range follow-up, 2 massive steroids, a ranged move...He lacks chasing CC and health regeneration, but that's about it.
Itemization favors manaless, too. Spirit Visage gives too much accessible CdR for manaless champions, in addition to help mitigate the health costs of champions who use health as their resource.

Some defensive masteries are a bit on the strong side, particularily in the laning phase (looking mainly at Perseverance here). If those masteries are supposed to be strong mid/late game, as was intended for the higher points in each tree, but are problematic in the lane, why not have them getting better at a level threshould? For example, Perseverance could give half its current effect before level 10. Or if no friendly champion is nearby.

exec3

01-07-2014

Quote:
This is a good question - when we went into Preseason 4, we had a priority list of things we wanted to resolve. A deep-dive on the state of toplane was one of them - We made some initial stabs when we realized there's a lot of work to be done there.

Scarizard, CertainlyT and a couple other designers were working together on it, but it became quickly clear its a big issue we can't tackle in a single patch.
Do you expect some sort of systems change (like trinkets) will be the fix to this or do you think that a ton of top lane champions will need remakes (to varying degrees).

Any new word on the Rune changes?

Sephrinx

01-07-2014

Quote:
Pretty sure we don't have any details worth sharing - but I know we had some issues and needed to take him back to the shop a few times - totally business as usual here.
Dang, thought I'd ask anyway just in case. Thanks for such quick response!! I look forward to more information on this...

[Off Topic] Also, just played a game, enemy volibear had a Spirit Visage, Randuins, Warmogs, Triforce, Boots and Guardian Angel, he revived with 80%, he had around 4500~ hp and revive with like 3600 or so, and he did not have the Second Wind passive. Everyone was very confused, killing him once was hard enough.

Boomkix

01-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasusIsMyLover View Post
When will RIOT stop using Reddit more than their regular site?
when GD stops being a cesspool of retardation

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

01-07-2014
15 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyAmoeba View Post
Going off of this- I recently starting using the forums and I see a lot of troll threads/rage bait threads. Does riot have any plans to add more forums mods to help deal with those?
I'm not sure... it does seem to be getting out of hand. The whole Sad Ambulance and CJ Wilkins McGee Colonel Q threads aren't helping to make this forum any safer for people to talk about what they enjoy.

Kazral

01-07-2014

I'm planning on applying to Riot for an internship / job, and I have to say the details page is quite intimidating (Previous interns have written novels, led esports teams to victory in major tournaments, started software companies, etc). Is this really the standard for a Riot intern, or is this perhaps one way of discouraging weaker applicants from applying to manage the number of applications you guys have to go through?

Also, do you have any general tips for being marketable to gaming company employers as a computer science major? This feels like an overwhelming undertaking at times.

Kiyoish

01-07-2014

What do you think of my opinion?

You're a pretty cool guy too.

archangelfighter

01-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuparu View Post
Attachment 873177

My mind is blown. I guess we need to stop blaming Morello for all the nerfs.

LF New ritoer to blame for soraka nerfs
Er, it's been known for a while that Morello doesn't sink his hand into every nerf that comes out. People just want a scapegoat when they get upset. :/
Also, Xelnath, you're my favorite Rioter. Will you be my friend? <3

Syndra Carries U

01-07-2014

Quote:
I'm not sure... it does seem to be getting out of hand. The whole Sad Ambulance and CJ Wilkins McGee Colonel Q threads aren't helping to make this forum any safer for people to talk about what they enjoy.
Shots fired.

But I think you are missing a few...

XxSmurf101xX

01-07-2014

Does Riot have any plans to fix the way instant effects react with one another? Ex: Flashing while being snared/stunned if you do it at the last second, or flashing while being grabbed by a naut hook.

One the weirdest I've seen is a Vi ult bringing a Lissandra up and down while she had ulted herself, looked especially strange considering she brought the whole ring of ice with her up and down.

One of the more interaction is how you can flash and then stunned by an Udyr bear form AA.