so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Irelia Bot

01-02-2014

Chezai what kinds of skills are needed or at least highly sought after for things such as the balance team?

thewolfman15

01-03-2014

hi chezai
i like your name

jwf999

01-03-2014

Dear Chezai,
I am currently 14 and wanting to work for riot in the user research department (dream job) I know I'm too young to apply, but is there anyway I can prepare for this job at all?

Wrosgar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouss121 View Post
Hello there Chezai!
It's a little bit of a dream of mine to work at Riot as a champion designer, but honestly, I am quite young, so i do not really know where to start, im going to start High school next year. Any chance you can tell me what exactly should i study?
For specifically a champion designer, it can be quite broad. Just like Chezai, i'm not actually a part of the team, but I'll give you what information I have found out.

For starters, I personally just graduated from a Game Design school and have received my first design test and I am currently awaiting a response for it when they get back from Christmas break. So that's one option!

But that seems quite practical, but the position of game design isn't just about what you graduate with. A friend of mine who works at Riot as a champion designer, Gypsylord (he was part of the design team for Vi and Jinx), actually graduated with an Economics degree. Not quite what you'd expect is it?

So to answer your question more specifically, it really is quite up to you. Game Design is one of those fields that everything has a part in helping. Whether artistically or technically or purely theoretical (like Psychology) a lot of fields directly apply to it. My suggestion is to go with something that you could see yourself working with if you didn't get into the exact position that you are ideally shooting for. My friend gypsylord was working well at a financial firm but is happier at Riot. I'm happily working for contract jobs creating games as a programmer / designer and would continue doing so even if I don't get my dream job at Riot. Find something that you like and would be happy to work with, and keep pursuing that, with your dream job always as the end goal.

But since you're just starting high school, I wouldn't pinhole yourself into anything just yet. Try a bit of everything, read up / watch videos on things that you're interested in and eventually you'll find what you are happy with and you'll find ways to be able to tie that in later to what you want to do down the road!

Hope this helps!

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-04-2014
123 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacktical View Post
Hi Chezai!

I'm graduating from undergrad this year, with plans to go to graduate school in applied mathematics. I'm set on going and that's what I want to do, but I definitely would also like to try doing some game development this summer, as it might ignite other opportunities for me in a field that I am equally as passionate about. Should I still apply for the intership, since I only really have the summer to give? Or should I apply for one of the more permanent positions event though I'm definitely going to graduate school?

-Quacktical
Hey Quacktical,

If you're set on going to grad school, it might make more sense to apply for an internship. To my knowledge, the open positions on our careers page are full-time positions and this would not complement your studies.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-04-2014
124 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domin8trax View Post
Chezai what kinds of skills are needed or at least highly sought after for things such as the balance team?
Hey Domin8trax,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to provide you with a good answer as I don't support our design teams. I mentioned in an earlier response that it would be worth taking a look at the specific job descriptions on our careers page as well as having discussions/reading up things with/from developers/designers. You should be able to catch Morello or Xelnath on the forums

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-04-2014
125 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfman15 View Post
hi chezai
i like your name
Awwwwww shucks

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-04-2014
126 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwf999 View Post
Dear Chezai,
I am currently 14 and wanting to work for riot in the user research department (dream job) I know I'm too young to apply, but is there anyway I can prepare for this job at all?
Hey jwf999,

Glad to see that you're planning ahead! Here are the job descriptions for User Experience Designer and User Research Intern. The User Research Intern job description should be of more use to you at this point in time.

Reading between the lines --> you probably want to look into statistics, research methods, data analysis, and all things to do with finding out what people want. There are many fields of study which will offer you a chance to touch on these specific areas. You'll definitely have to do your research and start some conversations. Best of luck!

Spitsonkittens

01-04-2014

I want to be a Recruiting Coordinator for Riot. What do you recommend I do to prepare?

Trai Harder

01-04-2014

Riot comes to my college (missouri s&t) for our career fair - maybe i can work for them one day