so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EnvyDragon

11-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey Kerensky287,

Great suggestions. I've spoken with many Rioters regarding the position of a Sith Apprentice, but the general consensus is that the 1 Sith Lord and 1 Sith Apprentice rule really isn't realistic. I'm apparently the 300th in line or something like that...go figure...
Sure you can only have 1 Sith Lord and 1 Sith Apprentice, but there's no limit on Sith Roadies.

PyróMàncer

11-28-2013

Dear Chezai,

A couple of months ago I applied for a couple of positions at Riot I felt I was reasonably qualified for (and in fact just applied for another one when a friend brought this thread to my attention). The lack of response does not bother me, as I know it must be impossible to respond to every application Riot receives.

However, I lack any confidence at all that my application was actually sent correctly. The application form has a field for entering text content, and a field for uploading files. Maybe I was paranoid and overly cautious, or missed something entirely, but I attached my cover letter and resume as a single file, and also copied it into the text field.

I find myself worried senseless that my application was discarded because I did not follow a simple instruction I missed. Because there has been no response at all, I have no way of knowing if my qualifications and resume were even given a cursory examination.

Is there any way of finding out for sure?

Signed, Nearly-Given-Up-But-Still-Hopeful-PyroMancer

TL Pride

12-02-2013

Dear Chezai,

I literally just got the email telling me that I'm set to graduate from The Art Institute of Virginia Beach. I want to try applying to riot to work on visual effects work. And I was wondering if you know:

What software they use to create the effects?

Which riot employees work on the effects and is there a way to contact them and ask them questions?

What experience do you need to apply for that section of riot?

signed, TL Pride

siiphon

12-28-2013

Hi Chezai!

I've been working on my internship application lately and noticed that there's nowhere to list your age or your year in college. The only reason this is relevant I guess is because it says you guys give preference to rising seniors, but how do you know if there's no where to write it?

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-01-2014
119 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyróM*ncer View Post
Dear Chezai,

A couple of months ago I applied for a couple of positions at Riot I felt I was reasonably qualified for (and in fact just applied for another one when a friend brought this thread to my attention). The lack of response does not bother me, as I know it must be impossible to respond to every application Riot receives.

However, I lack any confidence at all that my application was actually sent correctly. The application form has a field for entering text content, and a field for uploading files. Maybe I was paranoid and overly cautious, or missed something entirely, but I attached my cover letter and resume as a single file, and also copied it into the text field.

I find myself worried senseless that my application was discarded because I did not follow a simple instruction I missed. Because there has been no response at all, I have no way of knowing if my qualifications and resume were even given a cursory examination.

Is there any way of finding out for sure?

Signed, Nearly-Given-Up-But-Still-Hopeful-PyroMancer
Hey PyroMancer,

Apologies for the late response. Copying into the text field isn't an issue, neither is combining your cover letter with resume. Our hiring managers are fairly good at reaching out to applicants if there's any information missing or if they're interested. If you would like some more details regarding response time and such, feel free to take a look at the FAQ on our LinkedIn page. Hope this helps!

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-01-2014
120 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL Pride View Post
Dear Chezai,

I literally just got the email telling me that I'm set to graduate from The Art Institute of Virginia Beach. I want to try applying to riot to work on visual effects work. And I was wondering if you know:

What software they use to create the effects?

Which riot employees work on the effects and is there a way to contact them and ask them questions?

What experience do you need to apply for that section of riot?

signed, TL Pride
Hey TL Pride,

Congrats on your graduation!

Unfortunately, I am not able to speak on behalf of that team as I don't support them directly. Your best bet is to look at the job descriptions on www.riotgames.com/careers as they'll outline what the teams are looking for.

To my knowledge, there have been a number of forum posts by Rioters on the Art Team. Chances are they're still hanging around and would be more than happy to help you with any questions you might have. The team's pretty big and I'm not sure which individuals are directly responsible for the area you might be interested in.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-01-2014
121 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by siiphon View Post
Hi Chezai!

I've been working on my internship application lately and noticed that there's nowhere to list your age or your year in college. The only reason this is relevant I guess is because it says you guys give preference to rising seniors, but how do you know if there's no where to write it?
Hey Siiphon,

My suggestion is to have your expected graduation year listed on your resume. If you expect to graduate in 2015, you might want to show something like: 2011 - 2015 [expected graduation]. Hope this helps!

Ouss121

01-02-2014

Hello there Chezai!
It's a little bit of a dream of mine to work at Riot as a champion designer, but honestly, I am quite young, so i do not really know where to start, im going to start High school next year. Any chance you can tell me what exactly should i study?

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-02-2014
122 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouss121 View Post
Hello there Chezai!
It's a little bit of a dream of mine to work at Riot as a champion designer, but honestly, I am quite young, so i do not really know where to start, im going to start High school next year. Any chance you can tell me what exactly should i study?
Hey Ouss121,

Great question! However, I don't think I'd be able to do this question justice with my limited knowledge of game design and more specifically champion design. I suggest you read up on game design through blogs [such as Xelnath's --> http://alexanderbrazie.blogspot.ca/] and by perusing forums. I know that Xypherous, Morello, Xelnath, and other designers are constantly on the forums discussing design issues. It definitely doesn't hurt to ask them "how did you get your start" or do some research into what their career path looked like leading up to Riot. Best of luck!

Quacktical

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2014

Hi Chezai!

I'm graduating from undergrad this year, with plans to go to graduate school in applied mathematics. I'm set on going and that's what I want to do, but I definitely would also like to try doing some game development this summer, as it might ignite other opportunities for me in a field that I am equally as passionate about. Should I still apply for the intership, since I only really have the summer to give? Or should I apply for one of the more permanent positions event though I'm definitely going to graduate school?

-Quacktical