Game Modes Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cerbearus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Yup, that is a rad idea!
I'm up for faction wars

MindSlush

01-01-2014

^^^ That's actually pretty cool o_o
Just one question: Where would factionless champions fall??
Champions like... Aatrox for example don't fall into the before-mentioned factions, thus a categorization system which is more general should have to be used, such as Corrupted v. Non-Corrupted (Light v. Dark). Something like that, so that all champions can be included.

I'm all for this idea though...Sounds fun.

Also, a while back I posted a thread where I suggested a gamemode in which it's just you. Kind of like a custom game where you are alone on one team, and you can add bots as you please on the opposing team. Keep in mind that this mode does not give XP or IP, it's just a practice game mode and once again the only real player in the game would be you. This would be on Summoner's Rift, and now: THE IDEA: You can play any champion you want, regardless of whether or not you own them. This could give you a chance to test champions that you might want to buy without wasting your money or refund points. I would love this as I have a long list of champions that I want but I still haven't been able to play them in Free Week or collect enough IP to buy all of them. Also, I wasted all my refunds o_o So something like this would help people like me test champions and builds without affecting anything else.

Thanks,
MindSlush

@RiotForScience

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-08-2014
13 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSlush View Post
^^^ That's actually pretty cool o_o
Just one question: Where would factionless champions fall??
Champions like... Aatrox for example don't fall into the before-mentioned factions, thus a categorization system which is more general should have to be used, such as Corrupted v. Non-Corrupted (Light v. Dark). Something like that, so that all champions can be included.

I'm all for this idea though...Sounds fun.

Also, a while back I posted a thread where I suggested a gamemode in which it's just you. Kind of like a custom game where you are alone on one team, and you can add bots as you please on the opposing team. Keep in mind that this mode does not give XP or IP, it's just a practice game mode and once again the only real player in the game would be you. This would be on Summoner's Rift, and now: THE IDEA: You can play any champion you want, regardless of whether or not you own them. This could give you a chance to test champions that you might want to buy without wasting your money or refund points. I would love this as I have a long list of champions that I want but I still haven't been able to play them in Free Week or collect enough IP to buy all of them. Also, I wasted all my refunds o_o So something like this would help people like me test champions and builds without affecting anything else.

Thanks,
MindSlush

@RiotForScience
Modes tend to be short lived, Like Snowdown-Showdown and 1 for All. I don't mind if a couple champs get a little less play during that period of time (Though I am not a designer so totally not my call). As an Environment Artist I mostly get excited about this idea from a visual potential standpoint. I would be surprised if those faction champs did not also coincide with their free-week during the event. That would seem like a smart thing to do. This thread is mostly about brainstorming rather than ironing our the details.

Mauu5head

01-08-2014

A Hunger Games style

Shop is in the middle lane, turrets disabled (so is the vision granted with turrets). Free for all mode (1 v 10). Everyone begins with a set of the same items (maybe 2 health pots). A number of deaths are allotted each (idk, 5?). Everyone begins in a random spot on the SR map, or Dominion map. Teemo is disabled, as is Karthus.

Any additions or changes to this would be welcome Please post your thoughts / comments (looking for positive, constructive feedback)

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2014

Quote:
Modes tend to be short lived, Like Snowdown-Showdown and 1 for All. I don't mind if a couple champs get a little less play during that period of time (Though I am not a designer so totally not my call). As an Environment Artist I mostly get excited about this idea from a visual potential standpoint. I would be surprised if those faction champs did not also coincide with their free-week during the event. That would seem like a smart thing to do. This thread is mostly about brainstorming rather than ironing our the details.
Speaking of "Faction Battles", we've been running a fan-powered version for a while now:

Name:  FactionsMirrorwaterSmall.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  78.4 KB
Sign-up thread: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3248130
Site: www.leaguefactions.net
In-client chat: "Factions"
Name:  JoinChatButton-Marked.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  20.3 KB

The current arc is Ionia versus Noxus, an homage to the original Riot-sponsored faction battle. In this arc, Noxian refugees from a "natural" disaster (the Void's corruption of Noxian territory during the previous arc) are seeking space on the island of Shon-Xan.

Come join in and play a few matches! Anyone can start a match anytime.

So far, over 500 matches have been fought as custom games, over the course of four story arcs.

Prandine

01-09-2014

My apologies if this has already been suggested here before, but I definitely feel like a map made just for the hide and seek game mode is in order. Right now it's very easy for people to troll the games be it for not getting their way or just because they want to troll for the heck of it. Having an official map with official rules on it would help decrease the amount of people who only join hns games with the sole purpose of trolling them.

Below are the generally accepted rules among the community.

Team 1: 5 hiders.
Team 2: 2-3 seekers.

Hiders goal: Survive using only naturally CC-moves (i.e. ethereal chains, unstoppable force, crystallize, etc.) for 40 minutes.
Seekers goal: Hunt the hiders down and kill them all 5 times each within 40 minutes.

The winner is the team that can accomplish this goal first.

Hiders can only use pure crowd-control moves (slows, snares, knock-ups, etc.) and other supporting moves as well. This means that non pure-cc moves like poison trail and javelin toss or moves like sigil of silence that requires the use of a second ability after the first one to use are banned from this mode. Hiders cannot recall or go back to base & start the game with 5 lives (-1 for each death and infraction). Once the lives are gone, they're out and may no longer participate in the game.

For traps like boxes, mushrooms in the like, the rule is 1 per bush and that players can't spam them inches away from each other.

The grace period is 30 seconds from when a hider respawns. During this time, seekers may not chase, attack or kill the graced hider. This is to prevent seekers from immediately ambushing a recently respawning hider once they come out of base.

Hiders are also not allowed to intentionally kill seekers; just because it's cc doesn't mean that you can and/or should use it.

For seekers, they can't leave the base until 2 minutes in (give hiders time to hide & get their starting items). Seekers may recall at any time, however, they must stop chasing and recall once their health drops below 300. This is to prevent hiders from accidentally killing them by mistake. If seekers continue to chase, then hiders can kill them for no penalty. This doesn't mean that hiders can gang up on a seeker and burst them down to -300 hp just to force them to recall/have an excuse to try to kill them.

Items: 1 slow item per team (i.e. 1 rylai's crystal scepter per team). If multiple people have active slows, then only 1 person can use the active. Similarly if one player has 2 active slows, then only 1 of those actives may be used (i.e. twin shadows or frost queen's claim and not both).

1 active oracles per team (oracles may be gotten at 15 minutes in for both teams). Having an oracles in the inventory for later usage though is fine.

GA, Thornmail, Sunfire Cape and other damaging items are banned for hiders (the goal is to hide, not kill), while only GA is banned for seekers.

Penalties for rule-breaking:

Hiders lose 1 life if they do the following:

Intentionally kill a seeker (accidental deaths out of the players control like from Shaco's boxes are fine though).
Use a non pure/naturally-cc move on a seeker.
Building pure damage items with the intent to cause tons of damage to the seekers.
Return to base when not on grace or out.
Using a banned item.

If an out hider trolls, then 2-5 minutes of extra seeking time for seekers is added to the clock. More time may be given depending on the frequency of the trolling.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-09-2014
14 of 21 Riot Posts

I don't think Hide and Seek has been mentioned yet. I wonder if it would help to create a debuff on the hiders that would remove their damage and let them win after 40 minutes. It is an intriguing idea.

On the same note, I played "Football" on ARAM once. Where the enemy team was trying to see how many times they could die to our laser turret, they were competing against each other, but I think you could formalize that idea into a pretty fun/silly game mode.

drdahlser

01-09-2014

Phantoml0rd's Donger Dash would be a good mode. He's been playing it on stream and created it with some buddies from EUW. Essentially it's a race around the map through the turrets with one team going clockwise and the other team going counterclockwise. You can't go backwards but can driveby the enemy team. The intriguing part is that it isn't a team game because the last person alive wins. Thus you try and trick your allies into taking tower aggro instead of you. When people die they have to stand in fountain, however they can attack the people who run by but can't physically walk out of fountain although they can use spells to move out of it. One important thing is that both sides farm until 15 minutes without attacking each other to build up enough gold to survive through the turret shots. The game then ends at 30 min with the person with the most laps or the last person alive winning.
Link to reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...e_donger_dash/

Quaithe

01-09-2014

Quote:
I don't think Hide and Seek has been mentioned yet. I wonder if it would help to create a debuff on the hiders that would remove their damage and let them win after 40 minutes. It is an intriguing idea.

On the same note, I played "Football" on ARAM once. Where the enemy team was trying to see how many times they could die to our laser turret, they were competing against each other, but I think you could formalize that idea into a pretty fun/silly game mode.
ForScience, i just wanted to say i really enjoyed the Showdown mode. Is it possible we could have a permanent 1v1 or 2v2 queue?? I have to say its nice to test skills against just 1 or 2 people, it was the most refreshing thing since 3v3 was re-released. thank you!

StonedTexan

01-09-2014

OK start us out at level 18 and make a capture the hidden Poro mode. Hide that lil sucker on SR somewhere and first team to get it back to base 3 times wins.