RiotPenguin's FAQ!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

McFlailin

12-31-2013

how u have time for this all.. Do you not have many responsibilities to take care of?

Kinda s tupid question though cus when I can I'll spend 12 + Hrs on league lol

Labcown

12-31-2013

I have a question that might not be in your department, but in a close proximity so I thought I might as well ask.

There are plenty of recolor/color swap skins in the store, but there haven't been any released in a good while, unless you count Zac's skin but I don't. Since these skins take considerably less time to produce, and would help fill a gap for champions with very little skin options, why aren't we seeing any pop up

I guess my question boils down to: Why don't we see anymore 520 skins (quality wise) pop up?

I get the Quality vs Quantity arguement, but isn't there a moment where it might be more beneficial to put 3-4 520 skins into production instead of the one 1350 skin?

KriminalKurtis

12-31-2013

why are you so freaking sexy

RiotPenguin

Concept Artist

Follow RiotPenguin on Twitter

12-31-2013
6 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlailin View Post
how u have time for this all.. Do you not have many responsibilities to take care of?

Kinda s tupid question though cus when I can I'll spend 12 + Hrs on league lol
Haha I do it in my free time. Instead of playing LoL in the evenings this past week, I've been working on this

Arcane Ezreal

12-31-2013

Why did you pick the name Penguin? Are they your favorite animal?

RiotPenguin

Concept Artist

Follow RiotPenguin on Twitter

12-31-2013
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labcown View Post
I have a question that might not be in your department, but in a close proximity so I thought I might as well ask.

There are plenty of recolor/color swap skins in the store, but there haven't been any released in a good while, unless you count Zac's skin but I don't. Since these skins take considerably less time to produce, and would help fill a gap for champions with very little skin options, why aren't we seeing any pop up

I guess my question boils down to: Why don't we see anymore 520 skins (quality wise) pop up?

I get the Quality vs Quantity arguement, but isn't there a moment where it might be more beneficial to put 3-4 520 skins into production instead of the one 1350 skin?
For sure dude. It's something we are exploring (for example the TPA skins).

So for starters, remember that older champions were made up of basic geometry, with most of the details painted in the texture, so it was a lot easier to recolor (much like different armor sets in WoW). The more recent champions on the other hand, have much more complex geometry which is sculpted to line up with a specific texture - So it get's harder to just color swap it, without it looking poopy in comparison to everything else :P

Ultimately, when we do something, we just want to make sure we do it right for you guys. We want to make sure that even the most basic skins meet the same quality bar as the premium skins, even if the latter has more added content(particles, animations, VO, etc). We would never want to release a bunch of fast, low quality skins, just to fill space - but don't worry, we hear you

(Please keep in mind though, that this isn't any official stance of the company or the team...these are just my two cents as an artist)

Hope that helps!

Nyhver

12-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Ezreal View Post
Why did you pick the name Penguin? Are they your favorite animal?
It's a secret- it was labeled top secret but it has been the allotted amount of time to declassify the information under my judicial review

he's a one of a kind penguin in real life

Labcown

12-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotPenguin View Post
For sure dude. It's something we are exploring (for example the TPA skins).

So for starters, remember that older champions were made up of basic geometry, with most of the details painted in the texture, so it was a lot easier to recolor (much like different armor sets in WoW). The more recent champions on the other hand, have much more complex geometry which is sculpted to line up with a specific texture - So it get's harder to just color swap it, without it looking poopy in comparison to everything else :P

Ultimately, when we do something, we just want to make sure we do it right for you guys. We want to make sure that even the most basic skins meet the same quality bar as the premium skins, even if the latter has more added content(particles, animations, VO, etc). We would never want to release a bunch of fast, low quality skins, just to fill space - but don't worry, we hear you

(Please keep in mind though, that this isn't any official stance of the company or the team...these are just my two cents as an artist)

Hope that helps!
Absolutely, that post perfectly cleared things up, and I'm thrilled to hear that it's something that hasn't been completely forgotten.

Thanks for the reply and Happy New Years!

Labcown

12-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyhvr View Post
It's a secret- it was labeled top secret but it has been the allotted amount of time to declassify the information under my judicial review

he's a one of a kind penguin in real life
You mean we can speak of the secret experiment Riot carried out roughly two years ago to teach a Penguin how to draw!?

MoseyPoo

12-31-2013

Do you like Penguins?