Increase the knockup duration of Yasuo

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coldmanj

12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
No changes planned for the Q. It feels spot on to me. Do you feel the particle extends too far or not far enough?
I realize that the ability is only supposed to deal damage with whatever contacts the blade but the particles that go along with the skill can kind of throw you off sometimes.

I had a question actually about his q the other day considering its buildup. was there any thoughts as to having the second charge having some kind of bonus effect like a self buff or slightly extended range? it feels kind of weird that you have to land 2 of the same unchanged ability to achieve a knockup whirlwind to me. It comes across as a mechanic for mechanics sake rather than a build up Yasuo has to do in order to preform the whirlwind, if that makes any sense.

Kiyoish

12-24-2013

Quote:
No changes planned for the Q. It feels spot on to me. Do you feel the particle extends too far or not far enough?
I feel that a change to the Q3+dash would be nice, a larger AoE on just that one or still giving a tornado would really help smooth out his kit.

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

12-24-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nom Diabetis View Post
I've found that the particle extends about 1/4 to 1/5 the distance of the hitbox further. The sword stab itself goes directly to the end of the hitbox. There's a bit of "wind slash" that goes a little further.
If the particle is extending beyond the spell's effect, we can definitely reduce the particle. I'll look into it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldmanj View Post
I realize that the ability is only supposed to deal damage with whatever contacts the blade but the particles that go along with the skill can kind of throw you off sometimes.

I had a question actually about his q the other day considering its buildup. was there any thoughts as to having the second charge having some kind of bonus effect like a self buff or slightly extended range? it feels kind of weird that you have to land 2 of the same unchanged ability to achieve a knockup whirlwind to me. It comes across as a mechanic for mechanics sake rather than a build up Yasuo has to do in order to preform the whirlwind, if that makes any sense.
The original ability grew with each cast of Q, first in width then into a whirlwind. It proved very difficult to use in playtests and keeping track of an enemy Yasuo's Q state was very tough on the enemy.

Quote:
Why not just make his Q a normal ability.
If people want smartcast, they can set it in the options.
We use forced smartcasting only where it's absolutely required to have the ability function. In this case, the ability is not usable without smart casting -- we tried everything from newer players to diamond 1 players using him without smartcast on the Q and all failed. He's a high APM champion as is.

I'm off to bed, night all!

Mandaari

12-24-2013

Quote:
We use forced smartcasting only where it's absolutely required to have the ability function. In this case, the ability is not usable without smart casting -- we tried everything from newer players to diamond 1 players using him without smartcast on the Q and all failed. He's a high APM champion as is.

Why can't we personally be the judge of that? If it's too hard to normal cast then we can switch it ourselves. This is easily the most annoying part of Yasuo's design for me.

Crimson Mutt

12-24-2013

Quote:

I use smartcast as well, and that's all fine, but the "show smartcast ranged indicators" should apply to these skills the same manner that it applies to all other smartcasted skills.

There's a reason people use that option.
Me personally, I deem it worth it to sacrifice 0.2 seconds of action lag between keypress and action executed for the added precision and aiming of the skill itself.
Additionally it also helps getting to know the hitbox of the skill by actually seeing it appear for a split second, if you just tap the key, so i spent less and less time aiming by using the skill more.

As an added note:
When you jungle Yasuo, you need to position and aim your Q well so it hits as many creeps as possible, or else your clear time will suffer greatly. This is extremely hard to do "blindly", when you have no idea exactly how large the hitbox is.

KarmicKatri

12-24-2013

Personally I set his entire kit to smart casting and it has improved my play with him greatly. My only issue is with his inability to disengage. You have to rely too much on flash to back off a fight. It would be nice if we could dash to allied creeps but that would be OP...unless you limited it. I suggest that you allow Yasuo to dash to any allied unit but the cooldown would apply to EVERY allied unit. This would give him an escape without overpowering him. The visual representation of this could be shown as a mark below Yasuo himself.

Ironstryde

12-24-2013

Quote:
If the particle is extending beyond the spell's effect, we can definitely reduce the particle. I'll look into it further.

The original ability grew with each cast of Q, first in width then into a whirlwind. It proved very difficult to use in playtests and keeping track of an enemy Yasuo's Q state was very tough on the enemy.

I see I'm late to the party. Any chance we could ever see a range indicator being added as an option to the spell? I play with range indicators on smartcast and often hold the button down in preparation for lining up the spell perfectly. It feels so frustrating to not see the distance of the spell before cast. For someone who has grown accustomed to this for all similar spells, I'm just a bit confused as to why it's not there.

Raptoreyes

12-24-2013

Once these usability issues are fixed, Riot should be very concerned in gradual spike in Yasuo win rates. As things stand this new champions seems to have great power in his kit held back by, terrible item builds, poor particle design and poor interface functionality on some of the champs skills. Once this stuff is fixed his win rates could climb to the nearly 60% that Sivir had before the nerfs.

50West

12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptoreyes View Post
Once these usability issues are fixed, Riot should be very concerned in gradual spike in Yasuo win rates. As things stand this new champions seems to have great power in his kit held back by, terrible item builds, poor particle design and poor interface functionality on some of the champs skills. Once this stuff is fixed his win rates could climb to the nearly 60% that Sivir had before the nerfs.
I don't think his Win Rate will get too high, as his skill cap is probably the hardest in the game, I don't think many people will be able to play him and win consistently. Having said that, Pro Players will do good with him and I can see him being played in an LCS game by a pro with a team designed around Yasuo and it'll do well and GD will go on their crying sprees for nerfs.

I'm still on the fence, though. He's amazingly fun to play but doubling crit is just too good. Being able to pretty easily itemize into Statikk > IE, for not too expensive, and you're dealing out a ton of damage with 90% crit.

A Sproutling

12-24-2013

Quote:
Not far enough. Definitely not far enough.