Let's talk about Xerath

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lightdragoon88

12-12-2013

Hope to see Xerath back in the PBE after this patch goes through.

oldRakdos

12-13-2013

Yes finally

crims0nangel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobs23 View Post
If you do not enjoy hanging back and blasting away then Xerath isn't the champion for you, he is completely based around clever positioning and high burst over a large distance.
Couldn't have said it better. This thread is filled with people who are unable to grasp the champion because he doesn't fit into "their" play style, newsflash there are 100 plus other champions in this game if xerath doesn't fit you go play someone else. This champion does not need to be changed due to people being unable to play him thus saying hes boring or bad.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

12-17-2013
158 of 159 Riot Posts

Hey guys, I should lock down this thread pretty soon.

We had a meeting last week where we discussed: "Who should we ship first? Xerath or Skarner?"

After some discussion, we decided that due to the timing, we want to ship Skarner first to give some extra jungle love. After Skarner ships, I would expect to see Xerath come back to PBE.

That said, I hope you guys understand now just how *long* a champion rework can take. I started this thread when I was still trying to understand how Xerath players felt about the champion and it's now been 8 months, with a 3-4 month break while preseason crunch was on.

The results are:

* We have all new VFX & Sound.
* Every skin has its own unique VFX.
* We have 3 new or heavily modified skills.

What we still need:

* Final design team agreement on the health of Xerath's ultimate
* Competitive level testing (D1 players, etc)
* Final balance
* BUG FIXING OMG
* New VO Hookups ( ... did I spoil your surprise, JayWatford?

Latitoast

12-17-2013

Part of it is because of how he works

Most poke champs can still move around while poking

Xerath is literally locking himself down to try and hit you from a distance, which means he's the easiest poke champion to lock down, because he locks himself down, which hurts his laning

Xerath lanes against Yasuo:

Xerath locks himself down to poke, Yasuo takes this advantage to dart across the lane and get in Xerath's face, and Xerath melts under the pressure of fighting in close range

Xerath goes against Nidalee:

Xerath locks himself down to poke, Nidalee dodges his Q and hits him with a spear for free

tl;dr:Counterplay is way too easy, and way too crippling because of how his poke works

wobs23

12-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Are these the same 3 skills we have seen previously? If they are, are they the exact same as before or have some of them been changed around? To be perfectly honest I was not overly happy with the old skills.

I feel like giving his Q a charge and then a cast time kind of removed the fun of it.

His W felt worthless unless you landed it directly in the center.

His E was very very difficult to land if it wasn't being used defensively and as such made landing the W much more difficult with no other CC. (This however could be fixed by giving it a slightly longer range and making it travel through minions).

At this point I'm just reiterating past complaints but, I was curious as to if you had take them into account when finishing up his skills.

His PBE trip will be... interesting... Xerath is pretty much the only reason I continue to play this game on a regular basis and even he was beginning to bore me. I'm curious if this new update will put me right back into the thick of the game, or cause me to finally get off my ass and go find something else for me and my friends to play. Best of luck to you, I have a lot riding on this remake.

wobs23

12-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitoast View Post

1. Most poke champs can still move around while poking

2. Xerath lanes against Yasuo:

Xerath locks himself down to poke, Yasuo takes this advantage to dart across the lane and get in Xerath's face, and Xerath melts under the pressure of fighting in close range

3. Xerath goes against Nidalee:

Xerath locks himself down to poke, Nidalee dodges his Q and hits him with a spear for free
I find this only partially true, here's why. (number here corresponds with numbers I added in the quote)

1. Yes, most champions can move while poking. However, old Xerath made up for this by having a larger range, his Q dealing instant damage, and releasing his W giving him a speed buff. This allowed for a quick poke before using the speed buff to retreat or dodge quickly.

I am slightly concerned about the new Xerath though, with his Q slowing him down greatly I don't see how you could dodge something like a Nidalee spear since you don't gain any movement speed after casting your Q. Maybe landing the Q on an enemy champion could give you the slight speed boost? It would allow skillful players to combo his abilities better and would add a risk reward as far as positioning and timing.

2. Yasuo is a textbook counter to Xerath, he has high mobility, the ability to easily avoid skill-shots, and can close large distances quickly while still having CC. Thus he is a poor example for this argument. Especially since he isn't really a poking champion...

3. Ah, now we get to the fun part. As I said above this will be interesting to see with the new Xerath, old Xerath has options when it came to situations like this but, since we know very little about the final Xerath, it is difficult to figure out how best to handle these situations besides the obvious standing behind the minions.

I do think giving Xerath a movement speed buff after landing his Q could be a very neat and interesting mechanic, it would allow for more skillful combos on Xerath's part and gives Xerath more options when dealing with high poke, high range champions like Nidalee.

Valenten

12-17-2013

Quote:

We had a meeting last week where we discussed: "Who should we ship first? Xerath or Skarner?"

After some discussion, we decided that due to the timing, we want to ship Skarner first to give some extra jungle love. After Skarner ships, I would expect to see Xerath come back to PBE.

That said, I hope you guys understand now just how *long* a champion rework can take. I started this thread when I was still trying to understand how Xerath players felt about the champion and it's now been 8 months, with a 3-4 month break while preseason crunch was on.

The results are:

What we still need:

* Final balance
* BUG FIXING OMG
Thanks for the update Ive been really excited to see Xerath back on the PBE since he was on there last and really enjoyed the changes then so cant wait to see what else you got going on!

Raptearer

12-17-2013

Quote:

The results are:

What we still need:

* Final balance
* BUG FIXING OMG
Sorry I'm spacing a bit here, what do you mean VO Hookups. DO you mean he's getting voice over?

Kronikmagii

12-17-2013

To add more to his Siege mode, what if while activated he deals AoE damage around him, that will help out if he gets closed in on while locked down and give him some more damage output especially if his opponent is melee.