@Riot The skill range in Bronze needs to be reconciled.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pusha Teemo

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niqhtmare x View Post
There needs to be another league above diamond too.

Diamond 1 alone has the elo range of two divisions, and it's just a tier (1/5 a division). Diamond 1 is like 2000 elo to 2800 elo (800 elo), and silver division is like 1000-1400 elo (400 elo).

Am I the only one who sees a problem to this?

Diamond 1 for sure has issues some of which may be fixed with challenger being expanded from 50 to 200 slots but your numbers are a bit off, D5 is 2200 elo and D1 is 2480. I agree with you though.

Th3Dean

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2013

I like this idea as it helps players distinguish between the utter-**** and meh players in bronze. I especially approve of the concept of bronze being something better than "Congrats, you are the worst of the worst... have a last place medal"

WiCKeD UNSKiLLeD

12-16-2013

There is a massive skill range between gold 5 and gold 1 but even when you climb up you eventually around G3 get so tired of the toxic **** and the utter bull**** of plat 1's duoing with g5's in every game that you dont care.

If the ranking system was fair only people in the same division or 1 higher or lower would queue together. Outside of that it cannot happen, but riot isnt that bright when it comes to setting the ranking system and how matchmaking should work for 3 seasons now so yeah.

Personally I dont mind anything from D-1 to Plat or Mid silver in my games, what bothers me is that alot of the other people arent ready to deal with that and matches become pubstomps. There needs to be a cut off on what is allowed to be matched together and can duo together I think 1 tier above and 1 tier bellow is a good amount.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-16-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

(Warning: not my dept, but I have some thoughts to share as a designer)

I tend to agree with the problem "Bronze is too big a bucket." Generally speaking, you want divisions and brackets to capture certain bands of players; when there's too many or they're too small, they become incomprehensible, but when there's too many people in one, it robs the division of meaning.

It's also why Bronze has such a wide discrepancy of skill between players in the division - some are legitimately struggling Ranked players that have a lack of certain core LoL proficiencies (last hitting, map awareness, etc), while others are simply less experienced or consistent players that have at least a general competence in most core skills.

I actually think I miss "Unranked" being a thing you could be, personally. Unranked is the nicest way of saying "yeah, you're not doing very well!" without extending that feeling to a majority of the League playerbase! Whatever the bottom League is feels bad, whether you're in Bronze V or Bronze I.

So, in short, I agree - I'd love to see greater granularity in the bottom of the ladder to give some additional skill division and more chances to achieve a goal for more players. I'll ask the team about this.

Pusha Teemo

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriedPrunes View Post
Bronze, Silver and Gold and everything below Diamond 3 is trash. There isn't much difference between how the divisions approach the game

Hate to break it to you but thats bull****, theres a huge difference between divisions, silver and bronze maybe not so much but plat and up (besides 0lp plat 5 trolls) in generally seem to be much more map aware, know how to roam, know when to dive, and last hitting is just expected. Every now and then you run into someone who was boosted or bought their account on ebay sure, or a troll every now and then, but at the end of the day people noticeably improve as divisions progress. Egos, not so much.

Edit: Hi Morello

Wieners Revenge

12-16-2013

I highly disagree with OP. I mean this in all seriousness: All bronze players are really really bad. That doesn't mean you are a bad person. It doesn't mean you are stupid. It just means you are ridiculously bad at this game. Saying there is a huge gap in skill between bronze 3 and bronze 5 is like saying there's a huge gap in basketball playing skill between an ant and a potato.

PS - OP, you aren't going to improve your skill against humans if you continue to only play CoOp vs. AI

Oliviaapple

12-16-2013

I certainly agree.

Pls rito, Wood V

WiCKeD UNSKiLLeD

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
(Warning: not my dept, but I have some thoughts to share as a designer)

I tend to agree with the problem "Bronze is too big a bucket." Generally speaking, you want divisions and brackets to capture certain bands of players; when there's too many or they're too small, they become incomprehensible, but when there's too many people in one, it robs the division of meaning.

It's also why Bronze has such a wide discrepancy of skill between players in the division - some are legitimately struggling Ranked players that have a lack of certain core LoL proficiencies (last hitting, map awareness, etc), while others are simply less experienced or consistent players that have at least a general competence in most core skills.

I actually think I miss "Unranked" being a thing you could be, personally. Unranked is the nicest way of saying "yeah, you're not doing very well!" without extending that feeling to a majority of the League playerbase! Whatever the bottom League is feels bad, whether you're in Bronze V or Bronze I.

So, in short, I agree - I'd love to see greater granularity in the bottom of the ladder to give some additional skill division and more chances to achieve a goal for more players. I'll ask the team about this.
It's not just bronze thats the problem, Every division has a high discrepancy in terms of actual skill tier to tier. Take gold or plat even silver its the same way, a lot of this is due to how broad the matchmaking is when selecting teammates and opponents.

If for example the matchmaking would only match people of the same tier and maybe 1 above or bellow the players tier this issue would be most likely solved.

It would create a cleaner experience without so much hate towards the lower tier players, and hatred towards the people who call their high plat or d1 buddies to carry them in their games through duo queue.

Luna Wolf

12-16-2013

I'm just barely out of Bronze now but I'm still glad to hear this as someone who had to play in the B5-B1 range. It needs to be more spread out.

Ajax Oilid

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wieners Revenge View Post
I highly disagree with OP. I mean this in all seriousness: All bronze players are really really bad. That doesn't mean you are a bad person. It doesn't mean you are stupid. It just means you are ridiculously bad at this game. Saying there is a huge gap in skill at bronze is like saying there's a huge gap in basketball playing skill between an ant and a potato.
this one ;D