Thoughta of Diana's skin?

Good 483 24.23%
Needs Slight alterations 630 31.61%
Should have scratched it and restarted. 880 44.15%
Voters: 1993. You may not vote on this poll

So this Diana Skin..

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ValorousVisage

12-15-2013

I'm not really sure what I expected from the Diana skin... but something about this skin just feels so very underwhelming. Like... we waited all this time... and I feel a bit disappointed.

BRBGTGBOWFLEX

12-15-2013

Unfortunately, it's gone past the point in production where we can have a conversation.

It's an extremely low quality model executed on a poorly thought out design concept.

When it comes to art and design some things work. This thing doesn't.

I would expect low sale numbers, at least in the US Market. It's a bad product. And unlike Jinx's face/skintone, it doesn't seem like this is going to get a real fix.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-15-2013
20 of 27 Riot Posts

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in here to say thanks and give some thoughts on what I've seen.

First of all, thank you for all this feedback! Honestly, it's a lot of feedback, so if I do get the chance to mess with the skin I'm of course going to have to pick and choose what to do. So, there's a pile of good ideas in here, in the end, I probably won't be able to cater to everyone's tastes (sorry!).

Also, again, A DISCLAIMER. As I've said, I'm going to try to work with the team to see if we can make some edits. Emphasis on try. While there's probably a while between now and Lunar Revel, the holidays are coming up and I'm not sure what sort of bandwidth the team has. We have a lot on our plate, and the last thing I want to do is put pressure on anyone before the end of the year. That said, I'm going to see how the team feels about the feedback. Again, no guarentees. I only say that simply because anything can change, or not change. Things might change drastically, or they might not change at all.

About the general feel of the feedback given and the changes people have suggested. The paintings, drawings and other reference is extremely helpful. It'll help zero in on common trends as I pick through it.

I'm generally a fan of keeping her hair dark, as it's contrast to a rather light skin, especially if I bring some of the values up so they're not so deep, which is something I'm considering, including her skin tone. Though it might be a good idea to go cooler with her hair than a warm brown.

I'm partial to the crown, but I think I might be able to do something with the symbol to emphasize it, cut a hole in it, make it more regal, whatever. Problem is that it's geometry and that might be past the point of changing. I'll have to check.

I'm not in love with the jade mainly because I feel Tryn has that territory covered in this batch of skins. Also, I'm going to shy away from black/white color pallettes, because this is an opportunity to have a bit softer of a feel to the skin over all and her base is pretty monochromatic. I'm going to experiment with things, but my gut is that the purples or at least pastels will probably be the way forward, as referenced in a lot of the Chang'E art people have posted here. There's a softness there that I think is appropriate to the theme of that reference.

I do like the idea of light armor in select places, but not bulky. There's some reference that seems to strike a nice balance between flowing cloth and decorative "armor" or at the very least, thicker material in general.

It's stuff I'm going to try, among other things.

Again, sorry to be a broken record, I hope I can make adjustments. I'll be assisting with the changes if the team thinks it's the way to go, but I can't say anything is for sure.

Thanks a ton for the reference, paintovers, drawings, etc. Really helpful! Thanks very much for keeping this thread overwhelmingly positive! You have no idea how helpful and productive that is. It's inspiring rather than discouraging, and gives me something to actually act upon if there's an opportunity to make changes.

Thanks again!

Finch Toast

12-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to pop in here to say thanks and give some thoughts on what I've seen.

First of all, thank you for all this feedback! Honestly, it's a lot of feedback, so if I do get the chance to mess with the skin I'm of course going to have to pick and choose what to do. So, there's a pile of good ideas in here, in the end, I probably won't be able to cater to everyone's tastes (sorry!).

Also, again, A DISCLAIMER. As I've said, I'm going to try to work with the team to see if we can make some edits. Emphasis on try. While there's probably a while between now and Lunar Revel, the holidays are coming up and I'm not sure what sort of bandwidth the team has. We have a lot on our plate, and the last thing I want to do is put pressure on anyone before the end of the year. That said, I'm going to see how the team feels about the feedback. Again, no guarentees. I only say that simply because anything can change, or not change. Things might change drastically, or they might not change at all.

About the general feel of the feedback given and the changes people have suggested. The paintings, drawings and other reference is extremely helpful. It'll help zero in on common trends as I pick through it.

I'm generally a fan of keeping her hair dark, as it's contrast to a rather light skin, especially if I bring some of the values up so they're not so deep, which is something I'm considering, including her skin tone. Though it might be a good idea to go cooler with her hair than a warm brown.

I'm partial to the crown, but I think I might be able to do something with the symbol to emphasize it, cut a hole in it, make it more regal, whatever. Problem is that it's geometry and that might be past the point of changing. I'll have to check.

I'm not in love with the jade mainly because I feel Tryn has that territory covered in this batch of skins. Also, I'm going to shy away from black/white color pallettes, because this is an opportunity to have a bit softer of a feel to the skin over all and her base is pretty monochromatic. I'm going to experiment with things, but my gut is that the purples or at least pastels will probably be the way forward, as referenced in a lot of the Chang'E art people have posted here. There's a softness there that I think is appropriate to the theme of that reference.

I do like the idea of light armor in select places, but not bulky. There's some reference that seems to strike a nice balance between flowing cloth and decorative "armor" or at the very least, thicker material in general.

It's stuff I'm going to try, among other things.

Again, sorry to be a broken record, I hope I can make adjustments. I'll be assisting with the changes if the team thinks it's the way to go, but I can't say anything is for sure.

Thanks a ton for the reference, paintovers, drawings, etc. Really helpful! Thanks very much for keeping this thread overwhelmingly positive! You have no idea how helpful and productive that is. It's inspiring rather than discouraging, and gives me something to actually act upon if there's an opportunity to make changes.

Thanks again!
NO I HAVENT FINISHED MY DRAWING T~T will read your post after i post this :x

Thank you Iron!
and to close out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVLxRXoLaas Song names perfect! Please continue to critique in both positive and negative light everyone.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-15-2013
21 of 27 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch Toast View Post
NO I HAVENT FINISHED MY DRAWING T~T will read your post after i post this :x
Welp, better hurry! I have to go in tomorrow to ask the team what to do. If you've got more suggestions, now's the time

Wobiwobi

12-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBGTGBOWFLEX View Post
Unfortunately, it's gone past the point in production where we can have a conversation.

It's an extremely low quality model executed on a poorly thought out design concept.

When it comes to art and design some things work. This thing doesn't.

I would expect low sale numbers, at least in the US Market. It's a bad product. And unlike Jinx's face/skintone, it doesn't seem like this is going to get a real fix.
it may look same for EU region sadly...

tbh they have like 3 weeks? based how much time they can spend on working on this skin during this time I guess that it may probably end with:
either
- color/contrast changes in clothes and skin tone
- small/micro modification like covering her chest&thighs (ugh no please!) and toes
- remove part of headdress to make room for moon mark + add hardcore make-up (D: D: D: )
or/and
- more serious changes/alternating like sleeves shape and size (bell bottom sleeves) or some changes made to her hair like removing hair loop (and maybe adding 2 very thin short ponytails) not sure about removing hair ribbons
- shoulder pads... tbh I don't believe that they will even touch them
- something else that I forgot? (beside adding particles sooner or later of course)
OR
- just nothing :/

they will still get money (but not "tons") from this skin and IronStylus will be finally free from making some kind of Diana skin + he won't have to bother anymore with Diana players/community that asks for for new skin after a 1year+....finally will be able to focus more on new serious Leona-waifu stuff

after all it's 975 RP skin so sadly we can't expect serious/amazing changes... maybe after year or two if people will stay in LoL and still play Diana, we will get non-event high quality skin

Sophitia

12-15-2013

Also her hair being brown seems... Off. Wouldn't white make more sense if you were going for a moon goddess theme? Also I like the idea of flowy garments, but I feel like if you go that route you need to use more "light" colors like white or a lighter purple.

Finch Toast

12-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Welp, better hurry! I have to go in tomorrow to ask the team what to do. If you've got more suggestions, now's the time
It's basically just gonna be a fanart at this point i slow and it will most likely just harbor similar things already shown. Though i may try something else for material appearance inspired by chinese fabrics. WHO KNOWs. cause I do not and would really like my future self to tell me because that would mean I finished.

Vortex IV

12-15-2013

Please for the love of god get rid of the crown, the topknot and the shoulder clutter. We've been waiting too long for a new diana skin to have this one go through looking the way it does.

Daroiz

12-15-2013

What about the Guan Yu Trynd skin I think they should change it. Guan Yu was a spear man. Make Trynd Guan Ping