Game Modes Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Psychromaniac

12-09-2013

All Random, All the Time

Get a random champion. Every five minutes, scramble the teams but each champion retains their build and stats.

Ultimate Bravery
Based on the League of Legends challenge.
Get a random champion, random build, and random Summoner Spells. Your items are chosen for you and you receive them in order of component whenever you return to the shop.

Uberphish

12-10-2013

Daaaaaaaarkneeeeeeess...

Full blind. You don't /ever/ see what champions the enemy is playing or what summoner spells they're using until you encounter them in-game.

Blafl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-10-2013

Jungle Mayhem:

Everyone starts in one of the jungle spots, being able to buy items before hand. You start at level 6 and 5000 gold.
-passive gold gain is disabled, gain gold from killing
-only three lives(spawn at your jungle camp, with short invisibility to prevent camping)
-no minions or towers, just champ to champ
-kill streaks can grant jungle buffs, and death streaks will give small boosts to keep you jn the game
-after spawn, you can only buy items from the centre of mid lane
-assists count for half a point, kills are one. Player with most total points wins at the end
Point of this game mode would be to have a very strategic way of playing on SR, you can choose to hide while not gaining gold, or you can hunt people down straight away to snowball yourself. Making alliances and teaming up will be key, but they will have to be broken at some point.

I realise now that this is pretty much hunger games, but who wouldn't want that?

Moonlight Flower

12-11-2013

I wanted to propose a Free For All, just like everybody else, but I realized that while it sounds fun in theory, it would probably degrade into everybody being dead at the same time/one person snowballing. Not very fun, eh? Not to mention, League of Legends is a team game, and what worse way to be a 'team' than FFA?! So here's my idea: Juggernaut (except maybe think of a better name)

At the start of the game one person is randomly selected as Juggernaut. It is announced who the Champion is, and they will have a special indicator on them (for example...)
The Juggernaut has a special buff that gives them Move Speed, AD, AP, Armor, and Magic Resist. Why? Because 9 other people are trying to kill you. I think the buff should decay, but it would be nice if it was permanent to use as an indicator. It should stay at max until you enter combat (then begin decaying), so it is ready for your first fight. Perhaps there could be a way to refresh it, like objectives or kill streaks, but that could be OP.

Each person is their own team (so it's like FFA) but cannot score points by killing each other, only the Juggernaut scores points from kills. Perhaps you get a point (or more?) for killing the Juggernaut, in case you die right after getting it.

When you kill the Juggernaut, you become the Juggernaut. Suddenly, everybody that was 'helping' you wants to kill you. Or maybe someone else picked you off just before you landed the killing blow just so you couldn't get it! Alternatively, someone was hiding in a bush and let you do all the dirty work for them, jumping out to take down the Juggernaut, then killing you right after!!

I'm bad with numbers, but we'll say 15 points (kills?) to win, that way you can't win off of one ace and the game won't end in 7 minutes. Since it isn't a game mode it would have to be tested and adjusted, but it seems like a decent starting point.

In a Free For All setting everyone would just pick off the first person they see. In Juggernaut, they would gain nothing from doing so, thus forming an alliance until the Juggernaut is found. This satisfies being FFA and still having teamwork.

I do not believe this would fit in any of the current maps because it requires a lot of free roaming and cover, and minions and turrets feel out of place. I submit that a new map would be necessary, so there's a lot of brush (cover) and gank points. *Ahem* Perhaps in Kumungu, where you must make yourself strong to survive and everyone else must die to do so!

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

12-11-2013
9 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychromaniac View Post
All Random, All the Time

Get a random champion. Every five minutes, scramble the teams but each champion retains their build and stats.

Ultimate Bravery
Based on the League of Legends challenge.
Get a random champion, random build, and random Summoner Spells. Your items are chosen for you and you receive them in order of component whenever you return to the shop.
The thing I like about this idea is that it would expose players to tons of different play ideas. I know I can get into a rut of just playing the same yeti every game. I imagine this would be a mod of ARAM, It could probably just be set in Howling Abyss.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

12-11-2013
10 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberphish View Post
Daaaaaaaarkneeeeeeess...

Full blind. You don't /ever/ see what champions the enemy is playing or what summoner spells they're using until you encounter them in-game.
This is a great idea especially when taken in combination with the previous horror mode ideas. Nocturne-ult style visibility, no in game chat. Just trying to create a sense of isolation and fear.

Tejesh

12-11-2013

I would so play that, I think it would supplant O4A as the favorite gamemode for most people.

Edit: And if you made this on SR, and enabled team chat, you could teach people how to really communicate effectively.

Vortex IV

12-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
This is a great idea especially when taken in combination with the previous horror mode ideas. Nocturne-ult style visibility, no in game chat. Just trying to create a sense of isolation and fear.
Yeah it'd be EVEN MORE FUN to face Nidalee in that kind of environment.

P2Mc28

12-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Few steps further - don't even get to see your team during champ select? And limit to 1 champ per game (so if you can't pick Nocturne, it's because he's on your team or the enemy team. Loading screen only displays yourself. Randomly start somewhere out-of-sight of your team (perhaps buying is allowed everywhere for the first x seconds?).

Would really make the first few seconds of the game scary. Heck, that sort of tech would also allow for a death match style game as well.

Di3nekez

12-11-2013

How about Capture the Flag mode.
maybe on summoners rift? but no turrets or something to that effect. have to decide how many people are gonna go out and try to get the enemy flag while still leaving enough people to defend your own. if youre killed while holding the enemy flag it is dropped and can be picked up by an ally or returned by an enemy.