Game Modes Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Qube132

12-04-2013

The jungle should be a really, really dangerous place.

Natural born monsters
Objective
Same as usual
Map
Any with jungle monsters
Champions
Any
Gameplay

• Monsters have no leash (they don't go back to their spawn point when they are too far away). Cuz monsters want to be free.
  • If they lose sight of all possible targets after having fought, instead of getting back to their spawn point, they hide into the nearest bush and wait there, regenerating health at the same rate they do when in their spawn point. Cuz jungle is home to them.
  • Monsters from the same camp give vision to each other, and they all hide together in the same bush. Cuz bro monsters.
  • Dragon is big. Maybe it only hides in big bushes. Or maybe it can fold its wings. After all, Shyvana in dragon form can hide in bushes.
  • No change on the minimap for the little crosses that indicate whether monster camps are live : they do not reflect monsters movements, and stay at their current spot on the map (i.e. the spawn point). They still are updated when a team gets vision of the spawn point. Thus providing no clue about the exact location of the monster, because -everyone know it- monsters are good at hide-and-seek.
  • While hidden in a bush, monsters attack any champion that walks into their attack range. Cuz champions are invaders (and have cut some bushes in the latest patch).
  • Monsters attack structures (turrets, inhibs, nexuses -nexii?-). Cuz these, not natural.

Fun tricks
  • Bring the Dragon to help kill the enemy team while they do Baron, or hide it in the bushes so it kills enemy survivors of the Baron teamfight. Thus Dragon avenges Baron. Appropriate.
  • Throw Big Golem (Shyvana..) into the enemy team while they dragon.
  • Mid dies. Hide the Ancient Golem to avoid jungle steal, until mid respawns and comes get blue buff.
  • Use Wight to tank the first turret shots.
  • Put the enemy Lizard Elder into your team's tribush, to ambush them when they come for it after having spent minutes to find it.
  • Move the Wight into the river bush as a protection from ganks

Quotes
  • "Where did I hide the red buff?"
  • "Did the tower just get blue buff?"
  • "Ok, I'm low health, just a Wight needed to level up and I ba-OMG DRAGON"
  • "No dragon in the river and no dragon death announcement. Where can it be? Hmm, this river bush looks suspicious, I'll gank bit later" (it was in another bush)

As a side benefit, this mode may teach some players to ward the jungle and check monster respawn times.

Oh, you want to make it worse? Ok. Monsters attack on sight instead of attack range. And they can see and destroy wards (and thus can be used as scouts - except they destroy your own wards, too).

Toadsuck

12-04-2013

I would like to see a LARGE map where there are three teams(two would work). Have objectives like mines, farms, monsters that have loot, etc. that you can send up to 5 minions to attack or work in. Think old Command and Conquer. It would be nice to upgrade turrets or objectives (much like the trinkets) and you could even have it so that each person could contribute a lump sum of gold to one objective such as "Contribute 300g to a 1500 upgrade for a turret."

There could be random loot spawns, random monsters rather than set areas for Baron. There could even be a NEUTRAL area where players could sit around and dance. Ok...just kidding on that one...BUT seriously, make a friggin MMO. We are ready.

Taenurri

12-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoroyer View Post
FREE FOR ALL, everyone spawns at a jungle camp and the bases are off-limits. No turrets. It would basically be an intense game of hide and seek, with little to no monsters to kill and all about champion kills!
This sounds amazing! Everyone spawns at Lvl 18 and items cost no gold. Each player has 30 seconds in the beginning of the match to purchase whatever items they would like, then you can't trade those items out.

Then just 15 minutes of FFA goodness in an arena.

azuresky808

12-09-2013

Mode name: Slay the beast!

Objective: Dragon kills count for 2 point. Baron counts for 3.

Win Condition: First team to 10(?) points wins or if nexus is killed highest score wins.

Some Thoughts: Gives a new end game objective other than just kill the nexus. Having this sort of gameplay may help instil the idea that objective control is important to newer players. Although not everyone may care about learning this to those that really need help it should be a great tool for learning this. Also it will help with properly timing fights and trying to swing the game in ones favor by objective control, something that not every match sees much of.

To keep the balance if Dragon or Baron is killed it announces it. This allows for the teams to keep track of about how many points the enemy team is at. Another thing that may need to be changed for this mode is banning champions that deal really high objective damage and can effectively out smite enemy junglers. So Nunu, ChoCho and WW come to mind.

Potential Obstacles: Allowing for a team to be ahead in points and try to push down the enemy nexus for an early win may or may not be good for this mode. Only because if a team is ahead like this and wants to close out they can easily push the enemy team in and always be able to fall back and contest objectives, or just take them while holding with a partial team. So maybe the inhib turrets need to have like infinite HP or something. Honestly it is hard to tell because the game mode does not exist.

Another problem is that a team that gets baron may likely be able to force dragon afterwords. So there might have to be a removal of baron buff or just make it really short duration to help with sustain directly after the kill.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

12-09-2013
8 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I used to play Street Fighter 2 like this. Hilarity always ensued. I think I would learn a lot by playing this mode.
I would love to see this most implemented it, reverse draft sounds like a blast and I think people will come up with great builds and ideas for champs that aren't played that much. What's more important, forcing players onto weaker champions, or forcing a team to play something like all adcs?

Eyrgos

12-09-2013

Would love to have an Arena/Last Man Standing Mode...

You could do it on the Dominion map, 1v1v1v1v1... block off the original spawns, have each person spawn in place of the node locations rather.

Full vision of the map, except inside bushes.

Leave the Storm Relics in the center, a player may only have 1 at a time.

Pelunar

12-09-2013

New mode: Focused training

The first basic ability a player levels up replaces the other 2

This would leave champions with a passive, 3 instances of the same basic ability (that level independently) and an ult. There would definitely have op champs, but it could be really fun. Due to scaling being thrown out of wack you could see some weird builds, like ap mundo or tank annie.

Mandaari

12-09-2013

How about a game mode where there are no summoner spells? Specifically flash.

Neamean

12-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelunar View Post
New mode: Focused training

The first basic ability a player levels up replaces the other 2

This would leave champions with a passive, 3 instances of the same basic ability (that level independently) and an ult. There would definitely have op champs, but it could be really fun. Due to scaling being thrown out of wack you could see some weird builds, like ap mundo or tank annie.
Imagine leblanc in this game mode

Venheart

12-09-2013

how about a match that's 5 teams of 2? 5 bases in a star formation with blue team, purple team, yellow team, red team and white team. You each have a base and shop for healing, but no minions spawn, there are only jungle camps and killing your opposing team. It could either be a time based map where every match is always maybe 20-30 minutes, getting a kill gets your team a point, highest points wins. Or it could be a stock based map, where your base has 10 lives, if you and/or your partner die an accumulated 10 times, you're out.

I saw someone map out a detailed shurima desert map that had 4 teams, and I thought that looked really cool, I would definitely love a shurima map.