How does Magic pen work?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Biggg O

12-07-2013

Items like Haunting Guise and Sorcerer shoes, how do they work mathematically damage wise. Also what about void staff? I can't seem to find a thread about this if anyone can help thanks.

Scooter Sparkle

12-07-2013

Sorcerer shoes negates 15 of their MR, Haunting Guise negates the same amount.

Void Staff negates 40% of their total magic resist.

If you bought a Void Staff for a champion with 300 MR, alone, (without mpen masteries/runes), he will have about 180 MR against your magic spells.

If you buy it against an enemy team that has around 80 MR per champion, you're only getting a small amount of MR shred compared to running flat mpen, like guise or sorc shoes.

Tesla23

12-07-2013

they work like this:

tank spends +10k on tanky stats.

squishy gets a single 3k item.

Tank now has no stats

Pentakill Prince

12-07-2013

Higher base damage --> More effectiveness from pene.

So if you're an AP Bruiser or someone with high base damage, a haunting guise rush can be very powerful and efficient. Stats are cheap.

Pene decreases the effectiveness of resistances enemies have. So higher base damage + 10% damage increase can really help even if the enemy isn't stacking resistances.

Void Staff is good against moderate to high resistance-stacking enemies. I recommend VS against people with over 80 magic resistance. 40% MR reduction = -16 MR for someone with 80+ MR, which is better than haunting guise or sorc boots.

coolmob

12-07-2013

Void staff makes you do 40% more damage

Peillach

12-07-2013

First remove any MR debuffs (Dread, Starcall)
Then remove %Pen
Then remove Flat Pen

Pentakill Prince

12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmob View Post
That would be the case against someone who has around 300 magic resist.. It doesn't increase damage done that dramatically unless someone stacks resistances - and it only increases damage dealt specifically to them.

SlitherySnakeSex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2013

Magic Pen works like this:

It calculates their % Magic Resistance then negates however much your % pen amount is. 30% Magic Resistance going against someone with 20% Magic Pen= 10% Magic Resistance(I don't know the full math for what that would make their Flat MR.)

Then it calculates their Flat Magic Resist, so if they have 20 MR and you have 30 MP then you're basically dealing true damage to them.

But from my understanding AR/MR can never reach a full 100% resistance just simply because of some sort of math that I cannot fully understand.

but this is as simple as an explanation can get.

SOMEONE THAT HAS MATHED ONCE TELL ME SOMETHING RIGHT D:

TurdlyPoop

12-07-2013

Magic Pen? Easy. It's invisible ink you can only see with a blacklight.

Hur hurr badumpchaaa~

But really, thanks for the replies guys. I also kind of don't really get magic pen. :P

NotBuzzJack

12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmob View Post
Only if you're bad at math. 100 magic resist is a 50% damage reduction, and Void Staff reduces that to 65 magic resist, which is a 40% damage reduction. So no, you are not doing 40% more damage.