Sexist/Sexual Harassment Reporting Option

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reubatron

12-07-2013

The sexism and hostility toward female gamers on league is definitely out of hand. I don't see a lot of racism or offensive language on LOL compared to other games because Riot does a good job of keeping it down, but I think they need to do more for the sexism and discrimination of female players.

And female gamers should not have to worry about being harassed because they are female. I just played an ARAM round where a player was harassed and verbally abused just because they had "girl" in their gamer name. That is pathetic guys.

davin

Senior User Researcher

12-07-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigersAreYellow View Post
While that is very true, not everyone can be polite and nice to others as the world would like them to be.
That's why my friend, who had her real name as her summoner name and was often hit on, changed her name to something more discreet. She realized that it was HER fault for letting people know her gender. In a perfect world, yes, there should be NO discrimination. But if you're going to make your gender obvious to everyone, and you're a girl, you kind of have to expect that people are going to call you out on it.
Victim blaming isn't the way to work. Having a name that suggests you're female doesn't excuse the harassing. The good news is, Tribunal voters tend to overwhelmingly punish things like sexism, homophobia, racism. And Tribunal voters are representative of the overall community in terms of demographics. Which means overall the community isn't down with this, and that's awesome.

My personal belief is we should never, ever rationalize away why someone is getting harassed. Even if there's a "reason", harassment isn't cool. Period.

Agaranlol

12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Victim blaming isn't the way to work. Having a name that suggests you're female doesn't excuse the harassing. The good news is, Tribunal voters tend to overwhelmingly punish things like sexism, homophobia, racism. And Tribunal voters are representative of the overall community in terms of demographics. Which means overall the community isn't down with this, and that's awesome.

My personal belief is we should never, ever rationalize away why someone is getting harassed. Even if there's a "reason", harassment isn't cool. Period.
LOL another generic riot showing how great their morals are, and how quickly they get people banned. funny because i've been reported at least 150 times in the past month and I still haven't gotten banned once. disgusting how the sheep upvote your post.

you can't do anything to me Riot employee, I already quit your game. and if you forum ban this account i'll just level another one to level 5.

Vovix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Racism implies oppression.
Discrimination does not.

Idk why white people always get mad about racism not applying to them. There's still a word for it. And that is "discrimination"
It's actually the opposite.
Racism is when you hate people of a certain race.
Discrimination is when people of a certain race are denied equal opportunities or rights.

Shiny Fever

12-07-2013

Oooh now they want their own report section, seems like verbal abuse is not good enough for them.

Redeemed In Fire

12-07-2013

I don't think that was the idea TigersAreYellow had. Absolutely, victim blaming is a stupid idea, however, there are things that can be done to reduce the frequency and strength of harassment. I.E. the difference between "if you're moving, it's a good idea to find a low crime area" and "it's your fault for moving into a high crime area". The first is sensible, the second is not.

Rachel

12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post

Hendstron

12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaranlol View Post
LOL another generic riot showing how great their morals are, and how quickly they get people banned. funny because i've been reported at least 150 times in the past month and I still haven't gotten banned once. disgusting how the sheep upvote your post.

you can't do anything to me Riot employee, I already quit your game. and if you forum ban this account i'll just level another one to level 5. you can't do anything to me.
yes, attack the person, not the argument

PopsickIe

12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaranlol View Post

you can't do anything to me Riot employee, I already quit your game. and if you forum ban this account i'll just level another one to level 5. you can't do anything to me.
Or you could just stop being a d-bag lol.

Agaranlol

12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendstron View Post
yes, attack the person, not the argument
who made the argument? dumbass. you're one of the people that upvoted his post LOL