How has the support role changed, exactly?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyonaru

12-06-2013

My computer has been in repair for well over 2 weeks, basically I sent it just after the huge overhaul that came withe the patch.

I've been trying to keep up with the support role lately by watching videos. What I've seen sorta baffles me a little bit, what with these new ap build shenanigans, the large use of annie support, etc. Although the thing that concerns me the most is that I was watching a stream and the person recording wanted to ban taric. So, I just want answers to these questions I have:

a. Apparently supports rarely buy greens at the start of game. Although I probably already know the answer, why is this?
b. Is nami still goood? what changed happened to her with the patch?
c. what's with the annie picks and taric ban?

Kyrie Irving

12-06-2013

rules to preseason support. Play APC. Don't buy wards. Buy gold income item. Build AP items. Profit.

Męw

12-06-2013

You get welfare income.

tehbawss

12-06-2013

Gold income for supports is extremely high currently. Warding was changed to where the ward cap is now 3 per person. Supports got number overhauls, and Taric has grossly high scaling with tanking. He is really strong right now.

Kyonaru

12-06-2013

If that's true, support sure got a whole lot simpler. Although I'm not sure just some cc-ap ratios could tip the balance between support and apc.

Phreak

Shoutcaster

12-06-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyonaru View Post
My computer has been in repair for well over 2 weeks, basically I sent it just after the huge overhaul that came withe the patch.

I've been trying to keep up with the support role lately by watching videos. What I've seen sorta baffles me a little bit, what with these new ap build shenanigans, the large use of annie support, etc. Although the thing that concerns me the most is that I was watching a stream and the person recording wanted to ban taric. So, I just want answers to these questions I have:

a. Apparently supports rarely buy greens at the start of game. Although I probably already know the answer, why is this?
b. Is nami still goood? what changed happened to her with the patch?
c. what's with the annie picks and taric ban?
1. Everyone's starting out with a GP10 item, which costs about 350 gold. This means a player can bring 4 potions, 2 potions / 1 ward, or 2 wards. This tends to be covered by Warding Totems.

2. Nami is still awesome actually. Getting a Deathcap on her feels amazing because you get some crazy high health swings with W.

3. Annie started catching fire really heavily after Worlds. She's definitely a hotly contested support. However, she's the only "new" champion I've really seen added to the support pool. Sona, Nami, etc. all get plenty of play just like before.

3b. Taric is just over-tuned right now. Along with 3.14 we made a bunch of kit changes to have support utility scaling up. Taric's just a bit too good right now and is getting nerfed.

Shoukansha Ichi

12-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak View Post
1. Everyone's starting out with a gp10 item, which costs about 350 gold. This means a player can bring 4 potions, 2 potions / 1 ward, or 2 wards. This tends to be covered by warding totems.

2. Nami is still awesome actually. Getting a deathcap on her feels amazing because you get some crazy high health swings with w.

3. Annie started catching fire really heavily after worlds. She's definitely a hotly contested support. However, she's the only "new" champion i've really seen added to the support pool. Sona, nami, etc. All get plenty of play just like before.

3b. Taric is just over-tuned right now. Along with 3.14 we made a bunch of kit changes to have support utility scaling up. Taric's just a bit too good right now and is getting nerfed.
Name:  Gaston what the heck reading.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  104.9 KB

Ethann

12-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post

3. Annie started catching fire
I see what you did there...

#PunsofDamage

Drixenol

12-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie Irving View Post
rules to preseason support. Play APC. Don't buy wards. Buy gold income item. Build AP items. Profit.
This is so true. Although I'm a nice person I buy wards excessively still. Old habits die hard.

I've had nearly the most gold a few times. And honestly 1.5k from a ruby sightstone won't set you back much with the new increased gold income. Because the map is generally unwarded, the more you ward the better you are off.

Sophitia

12-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
1. Everyone's starting out with a GP10 item, which costs about 350 gold. This means a player can bring 4 potions, 2 potions / 1 ward, or 2 wards. This tends to be covered by Warding Totems.

2. Nami is still awesome actually. Getting a Deathcap on her feels amazing because you get some crazy high health swings with W.

3. Annie started catching fire really heavily after Worlds. She's definitely a hotly contested support. However, she's the only "new" champion I've really seen added to the support pool. Sona, Nami, etc. all get plenty of play just like before.

Just curious, do you have any plans for Soraka and Janna right now? Both seem exceptionally weak right now compared to non-traditional supports. Besides the Mana reduction on Janna's ult, anyway, because I don't see that really changing her state of power much.