Is there any point in playing Diana anymore?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PHDancake

12-06-2013

Gunna throw out my two cents on Diana:

Full Disclosure: I am not a huge fan of her kit, and let me explain why:

The duality of her burst versus her sustained damage is fairly obnoxious. Despite her passive, in a teamfight she has to play to her QWR Burst being her primary form of damage, with Zhonyas being weaved in-between because her tankiness is also so bursty. This also largely makes her role as an assassin terribly binary: Either your QWRR burst can kill the carry or mage you're trying to assassinate or it doesn't, and when it doesn't you're in the middle of the enemy team with only a one-time shield to protect you.

If you're looking to change Diana to be more balanceable, I would HIGHLY recommend making her more sustained oriented, especially her defenses. If you're looking for ideas, imagine this: Your passive reduces the cooldown of your W by 2-3 seconds every third hit on top of what it currently is. Reduce her initial burst and make her more able to stay in a fight, like a less ignite-vulnerable Akali who is reliant on skillshots and auto-attacks.

TL;DR Diana's current playstyle is too burst oriented, make her survive better when she's staying in the fray.

DemonicAuror

12-06-2013

Phreak, i keep hearing you saying how amazing diana's initiation is in teamfights. Thing is though, in order to survive that initiation without basically dying in 1 second right off the bat when you jump in is to build zhonya's so your team has a chance to follow up. This is even more important in solo queue where things arn't as coordinated and generally just a little bit slower. Isn't it a problem that in order to fulfill a role that you think shes so good at she basically is required to build 1 certain item before teamfighting starts? And please don't comment try to say she can just build other tanky items to survive, because doing so, even first building a rylai's, will put her far behind in the early game.

KamilleOxO

12-06-2013

Still has a higher winrate than Zed
your argument is invalid

Spectre Gadget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2013

I like to play diana top as a tanky ap mage thingy. (abysal, liandry's, sorc boots, zhonyas, rylais, deathcap). I think it works pretty well.

Josephine

12-06-2013

As a Diana player, this thread hurts my heart.

Maximum TaIon

12-06-2013

Yes. The point is that she's fun as hell, super aggro in lane, and if played well throughout game can gib 2 carries before she dies a badass martyr after popping ZH.

Maximum TaIon

12-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicAuror View Post
Phreak, i keep hearing you saying how amazing diana's initiation is in teamfights. Thing is though, in order to survive that initiation without basically dying in 1 second right off the bat when you jump in is to build zhonya's so your team has a chance to follow up. This is even more important in solo queue where things arn't as coordinated and generally just a little bit slower. Isn't it a problem that in order to fulfill a role that you think shes so good at she basically is required to build 1 certain item before teamfighting starts? And please don't comment try to say she can just build other tanky items to survive, because doing so, even first building a rylai's, will put her far behind in the early game.
Items champions absolutely need before teamfights:
Fiddle, Diana: ZH
2/5 of ADCs: BT
2/5 of ADCs: IE
1/5 of ADCs: BotRK
Kassadin, Annie: RoA
Mundo: SV
Zac: Sunfire Cape
Vladimir: Revolver
Rammus: Boots of Mob
Nasus: Boots of Faster
etc.
Pretty much every champion has an item they are going to need in order to not suck.

Gentleman Thief

12-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Invite sent.

Edit: No response. Next time!
Wait, I actually got a response? Dammit, I can't believe I missed this opportunity!

DemonicAuror

12-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum TaIon View Post
Items champions absolutely need before teamfights:
Fiddle, Diana: ZH
2/5 of ADCs: BT
2/5 of ADCs: IE
1/5 of ADCs: BotRK
Kassadin, Annie: RoA
Mundo: SV
Zac: Sunfire Cape
Vladimir: Revolver
Rammus: Boots of Mob
Nasus: Boots of Faster
etc.
Pretty much every champion has an item they are going to need in order to not suck.
Ummm no, you just listed random cases with champs building x items. None of those champs need those items in order to be significant and live longer then 1 second. An adc doesnt need ie/bt, they can deal decent damage and survive with an unfinished bt or ie. Kass and annie need roa to do what they are supposed to do? You serious? Annie can just as well rush rabadons or another ap item and get her full round of burst off, which is her job. Rammus needs mob?? Rammus can gank just fine without boots, he doesn't need mobs, they just making his ganking godlike, also rammus can still perform his role as tank (or during laning phase) ganker without them. And did you really finish off by saying nasus needs BOOTS OF SPEED in order to teamfight? Where are you getting this information from? Oh and forgot to mention fiddle who you stated as needing zhonyas. No. Is it an amazing item on him that synergizes very well with his ult? Yes by all means it is. Does he have the ability to still jump in without it silence the whole team and lockdown fear one of them for 2.25 seconds which allows him to live for a few seconds? Yup.

Diana doesn't have that. In order to fulfill what phreak is saying is her role as initiator she needs zhonyas. Building the first part of zhnoyas isn't going to help her all that much when she jumps in, shes still going to die. Her cc is a aoe pull/slow. Theyre going to just turn and light you up without zhonyas since her cc isn't exactly a hard cc and doesnt lockdown anyone long enough in most cases for your team in solo queue to react before their team turns on you. Her only saving grace allowing her to live slightly longer without zhonya is her W shield, which from the nerfs is weak.

Super Explosion

12-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicAuror View Post
None of those champs need those items in order to be significant
Currently item builds are a little restricted. In theory, you should be able to build something like Zephyr on a marksman and not be a burden to your team. But at the moment it doesn't really work that way.

I'd like Riot to attempt to free up some strategic space so champions could build for more than one role. Like a marksman being able to go Hurricane/Zephyr rapidfire AoE, rather than single target crit.

Then let someone else, like Diana, handle the single target tons of DPS.

Not everyone needs to be able to do that, but probably more than can currently. Diana for carry.