Self-Educate for Game Industry?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spaminal

12-04-2013

I'm relentlessly passionate/ambitious about telling stories and creating experiences through all range of media, and I have a huge admiration for those that have learned to do so through gaming experiences or gaming communities. I am the farthest thing from being against University education. However, on an individual basis let's say I've had important personal reasons for postponing my pursuit of the slip of paper that says I've completed a cookie cutter course of software and multimedia skills that the Game Industry values. If I can't go back to college during this time of my life, but I'm fired up as ever to learn the theory and tools that I need to hold my own in this Industry with its tough hiring standards, would it still be near impossible to find a place for myself at Riot or a comparable company that fills a lot of its entry level team positions through its best interns? Obviously I'm not intern material being unenrolled, but I'd like to hold my own alongside those that are and eventually those beyond their internships.

Cuz1972

12-04-2013

The Unreal Editor is free and has a plethora of documentation. I highly recommend starting with that. Especially if level design / scripted gameplay is what interests you.

Riot Nightblue

Environment Artist

12-04-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I got into the industry through school, but know and know of people who did not. For artists it's pretty straight-forward: make cool stuff, get exposure, and acquire a certain degree of knowledge about the industry so you sound ok in an interview. Many game designers I know began from entry level jobs like QA - the more technical ones seem to rise up faster in general. Another way in is making mods and independent gaming projects. Many people say they want to make games but showing initiative and ability to actually do so will make you stand out.

The somewhat recent trend is gaming jams. Just saw this article the other day and hope it's helpful to you:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Anche...e_industry.php

Hope this helps GL HF!

Spaminal

12-04-2013

Will read! Thanks for taking the time to help. Every bit of advice and feedback I get while I work on personal projects or ask questions makes me feel a little bit more like I'm going to make this happen.

Piamette

12-04-2013

Inb4 some guy asks an environmental artist questions about competition policy.

Rizaac

12-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nightblue View Post
I got into the industry through school, but know and know of people who did not. For artists it's pretty straight-forward: make cool stuff, get exposure, and acquire a certain degree of knowledge about the industry so you sound ok in an interview. Many game designers I know began from entry level jobs like QA - the more technical ones seem to rise up faster in general. Another way in is making mods and independent gaming projects. Many people say they want to make games but showing initiative and ability to actually do so will make you stand out.

The somewhat recent trend is gaming jams. Just saw this article the other day and hope it's helpful to you:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Anche...e_industry.php

Hope this helps GL HF!
I'm sorry but,
Your post and the link I followed were the best things that happened yo me today. Thank you so much for posting that link.

Spaminal

12-04-2013

Come on, Rizaac. Come on and slam. Welcome to the jam.