Thresh can use Relic Shield!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ProletariatFlame

12-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Functionally Thresh is more of a melee champion. The key thing for me is that on his cast frame, he does damage, while a melee champion launches a missile on their cast frame. However, for balance reasons, the design team decided to make him ranged, because of the range of his basic attacks. So I think it's more correct to say he's melee, with a long reach, and a flag set on his character for balance reasons that says he's ranged.

To be clear, for game balance issues, he seems to be melee.
For those confused: Design wise and style wise he was treated as a melee champion by the team. However, because it was decided to put range on his basic attack the game flags him as ranged for all interactions with the game. =)

Correct me if I am wrong here if you see this.

As this board says... Shen'd... by a red none the less.

Shoukansha Ichi

12-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProletariatFlame View Post
For those confused: Design wise and style wise he was treated as a melee champion by the team. However, because it was decided to put range on his basic attack the game flags him as ranged for all interactions with the game. =)

Correct me if I am wrong here if you see this.

As this board says... Shen'd... by a red none the less.
no, they had him as 475 range but treated him as melee. They then changed it to a ranged classification so as to make him weaker. Meddler made a post on it.

Farranor

12-02-2013

Quote:
Functionally Thresh is more of a melee champion. The key thing for me is that on his cast frame, he does damage, while a melee champion launches a missile on their cast frame. However, for balance reasons, the design team decided to make him ranged, because of the range of his basic attacks. So I think it's more correct to say he's melee, with a long reach, and a flag set on his character for balance reasons that says he's ranged.

To be clear, for game balance issues, he seems to be melee.
Uh...

Quote:
for balance reasons that says he's ranged.
Quote:
for game balance issues, he seems to be melee.
The only part about him that's melee is the animation, as his weapon is still connected to his hand. In those terms, Link's Hookshot is a melee weapon.

Xanthalis

12-02-2013

Also, and mostly because it was lucky that the selling cost of Hydra is just about enough to buy Runaan's, I tried it, and he does proc it, but that's obvious by this point. Just wanted to say tested and verified.

Quote:
The only part about him that's melee is the animation, as his weapon is still connected to his hand. In those terms, Link's Hookshot is a melee weapon.
So would a whip, and I think everyone knows a whip is useless in melee. Just cause his weapon doesn't leave his hand doesn't mean he's melee.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

12-02-2013
3 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farranor View Post
Uh...

oh yeah, that's totally a typo. thanks.

ProletariatFlame

12-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze Yasuo View Post
no, they had him as 475 range but treated him as melee. They then changed it to a ranged classification so as to make him weaker. Meddler made a post on it.
Was unaware, I took a long break from this while getting my MBA, thank you for the history lesson =)

OneDragonArmy

12-02-2013

Quote:

To be clear, for game balance issues, he seems to be RANGED (edit: fixed typo, thanks guys).
One more typo Grif, sorry.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

12-02-2013
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDragonArmy View Post
One more typo Grif, sorry.
OMG lol I'm so bad at typing. Sorry everyone!

Waschbar

12-02-2013

Can you make it so that supports can use this or anyone with a "support" tag.

Ranged Woes for Every champ not Taric/Blitz/Thresh/Alistar

LxLegend

12-02-2013

Something makes me think that Thresh with Ravenous Hydra + Frozen Mallet + Blood Thrister X 2 made him too hot and tempting to be played in bot lane support instead of top lane bruiser.