Ransom - "Poor Riven... I see some drama in her future"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Heh. I want to assure you that folks complaining at me on the forums will never be a reason for me not to post. It's very hard to hurt my feelings these days. I get to make champions and life is good, you know?

Generally, I like to keep things light and positive, and prefer to engage in actual discussion. When I read angry walls of text, I shrug and move on, and assume the poster has something going on in their life that I'm not privy to.

My policy is always to respond to topics I find interesting, assuming I have time to do so.
I've never seen you (or your team) actually answer constructive criticism, so yeah, don't ask yourself why you get some angry walls of text. It's become apparent that it's utterly pointless to try and have a discussion with you guys, so I'm not exactly sure why people even want you on the forums.

Best I've seen is ''Ok, we hear you, we'll make this change'' (ex: Udyr, Jayce) and that's an exceedingly rare occurrence. More often than not, the answers we get are ''You'll see, soon...'' (been hearing that one from 3 years btw), ''Oh, I like the speculation. Here, let me throw you some random, cryptic one liner that I will never comment upon and that will never lead to anything because you guys are so hungry for a story any BS will do'' or just plain ''This is our job, we know better than you, stop criticizing. If you don't like it, I'm gonna pout and never come back'' (that's Kitae's usual line of dialogue and tbh good riddance).

So, yeah, I would actually be DELIGHTED to have a real conversation with the lore team, but it'll never happen. If you don't get only compliments, you just ignore it. Yes, we (your critics) can be polite, civil, not angry and have valid points. No, we don't bother doing that anymore (because God knows we tried). Maybe ask yourself why?

Great Owl

11-26-2013

Quote:
Heh. I want to assure you that folks complaining at me on the forums will never be a reason for me not to post. It's very hard to hurt my feelings these days. I get to make champions and life is good, you know?

Generally, I like to keep things light and positive, and prefer to engage in actual discussion. When I read angry walls of text, I shrug and move on, and assume the poster has something going on in their life that I'm not privy to.

My policy is always to respond to topics I find interesting, assuming I have time to do so.
This attitude makes me feel like the lore team doesn't consider constructive criticism from lore fans. If they have a concern, shouldn't you at least attempt to address it? It feels like the lore team is one of the least responsive teams in terms of negative feedback (or any feedback really). The art team responds to concerns and criticism quite often, and Morello and some of the other designers do it as a full time job. The lore department is widely seen as rather weak compared to other departments, why not engage in critical discussion to change that view. Who knows, you may even improve some stuff.

AnAggravatedPimp

11-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Owl View Post
This attitude makes me feel like the lore team doesn't consider constructive criticism from lore fans. If they have a concern, shouldn't you at least attempt to address it? It feels like the lore team is one of the least responsive teams in terms of negative feedback (or any feedback really). The art team responds to concerns and criticism quite often, and Morello and some of the other designers do it as a full time job. The lore department is widely seen as rather weak compared to other departments, why not engage in critical discussion to change that view. Who knows, you may even improve some stuff.
It depends on if the criticism is actually constructive. If someone just says the lore team sucks and the new lore is bad that's not helpful, that's an insult. If someone says that they dislike how Udyr meets with a non blind Lee Sin in his new lore because it breaks Lee's lore, then the team has something to work with and can give feedback on. They did fix that issue btw.

Arcus Diabolus

11-27-2013

Any way you slice it, Yasuo and Riven's relationship will turn out pretty interesting. fingers crossed that Riven stays true to being the lighter side of Noxus and is, in fact, innocent.

(Not like I'll stop playing her if she isn't, tho. Her lore is too good, I love her voice actor and her play-style is very close to that of fighter games, which I play almost religiously.)

Arcus Diabolus

11-27-2013

Quote:
Me too! I love the RivenDidIt.Com meme, but I would say that regardless of whether Riven killed the elder (I don't want to impose on all this fun speculation!), the stage is set for a very interesting relationship between these two characters. They have so much in common, and yet so much divides them. They are literally my favorite pair in all of League right now.

There are still some little goodies on the way, so stay tuned...
I'm holding you to this, you know.

Also, is a audio update for Riven at all plausible? Hearing Riven's point of view on different champs like Yasuo, Singed, Darius, Varus, Swain and others would be great! We love champ interactions with each other.

AnAggravatedPimp

11-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shinobi 93 View Post

Also, is a audio update for Riven at all plausible? Hearing Riven's point of view on different champs like Yasuo, Singed, Darius, Varus, Swain and others would be great! We love champ interactions with each other.
This please. I really want a Riven Ultimate though, with her skills looking more wind based than energy based

Levost

11-27-2013

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7599936/1/Guiding_Light
I'll just leave this here.

Ransom

Creative Designer

11-27-2013
5 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAggravatedPimp View Post
It depends on if the criticism is actually constructive. If someone just says the lore team sucks and the new lore is bad that's not helpful, that's an insult. If someone says that they dislike how Udyr meets with a non blind Lee Sin in his new lore because it breaks Lee's lore, then the team has something to work with and can give feedback on. They did fix that issue btw.

For someone who is named AnAggravatedPimp, this dude sounds pretty reasonable.

Quote:
Any way you slice it, Yasuo and Riven's relationship will turn out pretty interesting. fingers crossed that Riven stays true to being the lighter side of Noxus and is, in fact, innocent.

(Not like I'll stop playing her if she isn't, tho. Her lore is too good, I love her voice actor and her play-style is very close to that of fighter games, which I play almost religiously.)
Riven caught my interest from the day I first spotted her splash in the game. Her play style isn't something that resonates with me, but I immediately thought she was an intriguing character. The massive broken sword paired with a young woman suggests a big story, although I was a bit disappointed she didn't have more lore. (I also think she comes off as a bit emo in her VO script.) Regardless of what happens in this conflict with Yasuo, I think she gains a bit more dimension when we reveal a bit more of her past and provide her with a foil. As a team we don't have the biggest tools to tell stories with these characters, but we do what we can.

Quote:

As one of the co-writers on Yasuo, let's just say I have very good visibility into all things Yasuo-related. I wouldn't say it unless I was certain.

Also, audio updates and new champ interactions for older champs is something that is on my personal wishlist as well. Often these things happen when a champ gets a rework - Ashe, for instance, has new interactions with Sejauni and Lissandra. So yeah, it's totally plausible. It's just a matter of when, and the answer to that is mostly "when a good opportunity presents itself."

AnAggravatedPimp

11-27-2013

Quote:

Riven caught my interest from the day I first spotted her splash in the game. Her play style isn't something that resonates with me, but I immediately thought she was an intriguing character. The massive broken sword paired with a young woman suggests a big story, although I was a bit disappointed she didn't have more lore. (I also think she comes off as a bit emo in her VO script.) Regardless of what happens in this conflict with Yasuo, I think she gains a bit more dimension when we reveal a bit more of her past and provide her with a foil. As a team we don't have the biggest tools to tell stories with these characters, but we do what we can.

As one of the co-writers on Yasuo, let's just say I have very good visibility into all things Yasuo related. I wouldn't say it unless I was certain.

Also, audio updates and new champ interactions for older champs is something that is on my personal wishlist as well. Often these things happen when a champ gets a rework - Ashe, for instance, has new interactions with Sejauni and Lissandra. So yeah, it's totally plausible. It's just a matter of when, and the answer to that is mostly "when a good opportunity presents itself."
The name is more ironic than factual.

But on topic, WOOOOOOO MORE RIVEN LORE INCOMING !!!!!!

Maximum Riven

11-27-2013

Quote:

As one of the co-writers on Yasuo, let's just say I have very good visibility into all things Yasuo-related. I wouldn't say it unless I was certain.

I just hope Riot remembers that they need to hire the same VA.

Riven losing her current voice would be tragic.