@Riot Games About surveys.

First Riot Post
12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HesOnTop

Senior Member

11-26-2013

I like how you all are showing more initiative to improve the game based on feedback. I just recently received two surveys, one for One-for-All mode and the other for the Popstar Ahri skin. My question I'd like to know though is the "Help us improve" button on the client. I regularly do surveys after many patches to give input and see if the game will improve at all but sometimes I feel that these are just there to please the players and aren't actually taken into account.

Are those surveys even looked at or taken into account by Riot? I know a lot of balancing happens on the PBE and I think that's where the only input about balance and design actually happens.

Will this be replaced in favor of the newer survey pop-ups that seem to be sent to a target audience?

and how much value do you view input from the live client versus the PBE client?

Thanks for taking a look at this rito.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davin

Senior User Researcher

11-27-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Yes, the "help us improve" gets looked at Running a survey without caring about the results would be shenanigans, that's not really our jam. The in-client pop-up surveys are much more specific and limited, they won't replace our random sample web surveys or opt-in surveys like the feedback link.

And in terms of live vs. PBE, they're both valuable! We're trying to ramp up how well we can collect feedback from PBE.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Levost

Member

11-27-2013

holy red ninja, batman!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OxBlood69

Senior Member

11-27-2013

Wait, do reds still browse these forums?
I thought we were forgotten here while they were all pampering the 12 year old meme spammers of leddit.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eyrgos

Senior Member

11-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Yes, the "help us improve" gets looked at Running a survey without caring about the results would be shenanigans, that's not really our jam. The in-client pop-up surveys are much more specific and limited, they won't replace our random sample web surveys or opt-in surveys like the feedback link.

And in terms of live vs. PBE, they're both valuable! We're trying to ramp up how well we can collect feedback from PBE.
Can you please increase the frequency of your in-client surveys? And perhaps provide minor IP incentives to completing them. I wanna feel like you guys are being more proactive in receiving & considering these results... and perhaps follow up on certain surveys... like if you were to poll us about things like S4 Support Changes, what's fun/bad about playing as or against so-and-so, how to change Wriggle's... etc.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davin

Senior User Researcher

11-27-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyrgos View Post
Can you please increase the frequency of your in-client surveys? And perhaps provide minor IP incentives to completing them. I wanna feel like you guys are being more proactive in receiving & considering these results... and perhaps follow up on certain surveys... like if you were to poll us about things like S4 Support Changes, what's fun/bad about playing as or against so-and-so, how to change Wriggle's... etc.
There's a whole lot of post-preseason 2014 evaluation going on (and not just via in-client surveys!). When it comes to those in-client surveys, we just keep the sample size around what it needs to be to have a representative view. We don't want it to be spammy or annoying.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ntencti

Member

11-27-2013

Nice job with implementing the survey function for feedback.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keikomatsui

Senior Member

11-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
There's a whole lot of post-preseason 2014 evaluation going on (and not just via in-client surveys!). When it comes to those in-client surveys, we just keep the sample size around what it needs to be to have a representative view. We don't want it to be spammy or annoying.
In all honesty, I wouldn't mind it being spammy and annoying. I would relish the chance to frequently give my input in a way that wasn't as chaotic and typhoonic as the GD.

Have you guys at Riot ever considered a "Player Feedback" system similar to the tribunal? As in, anyone who WANTS to have a voice can go there and take various feedback surveys of varying topics from "What did you think of this years Harrowing" to "Which champion do you think is most frustrating or toxic to lane against". Anything, really. Rioters could put up surveys on ideas they had for champ remakes (i.e. Xerath, Heimer, whatever) and offer things like "Which of these do you find more interesting"

Also, you could make the general data viewable post-survey or at any time. A big part of the community's frustration with some of the changes Riot makes comes from the fact that data is often quoted without us being able to see it. I.e. "The data shows that most players really like this idea"
Oh, does it? How would I know? I think being able to SEE that data would really relax a lot of the community to large changes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cuix

Senior Member

11-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
We don't want it to be spammy or annoying.
If I saw you guys offering me surveys more often, my thoughts wouldn't be "how annoying". My thoughts would be "wow, this is a weirdly community-driven game; cool!", and that still would've been true when I first started this game and didn't check the forums much.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davin

Senior User Researcher

11-27-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keikomatsui View Post
Have you guys at Riot ever considered a "Player Feedback" system similar to the tribunal? As in, anyone who WANTS to have a voice can go there and take various feedback surveys of varying topics from "What did you think of this years Harrowing" to "Which champion do you think is most frustrating or toxic to lane against". Anything, really. Rioters could put up surveys on ideas they had for champ remakes (i.e. Xerath, Heimer, whatever) and offer things like "Which of these do you find more interesting"
We've talked about things like that before. There's a natural tension between doing fully open response stuff like that (which seems like it's more "fair", though it has fairness issues) and getting representative data (which requires random samples and is more "true").

In order to be actually fair and not drive things based on a vocal minority, I personally think random sample is the way to go for representative data (remove more selection bias, more validity concerns, etc.). More open things like the opt-in feedback survey, the forums themselves, what you suggest, etc. are good for deeper qualitative data. Combining those is very important to getting the full picture (for example, there was a long Xerath thread as well as a Xerath survey, Xerath lab studies, etc.)


12