@Riot, Please respond!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sjafi

08-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmeister View Post
1. Death lag (Screen freezes and FPS drops to 0 for a few seconds the moment you die)
This happens to me only on my first death. I figured it's just another instance of #4. Does it happen everytime for you?
Yes it's just the first death, but as I said in the post above to add, it also happens when my mac sees certain skills on certain champions for the first time.

Mike4Real

08-28-2013

Quote:

3. INCREDIBLY bad FPS for the first few minutes, making any early game invades/ganks literally impossible to play a part in
The first few minutes? I get bad FPS for the first 5 seconds but it goes away.

Thanks for the awesome reply Brentmeister. Its great when you guys respond specifically to certain issues. If you dont mind, can I ask for some more specifics about number 3? When I get into a game, it seems that I join the game slightly after my teammates. This time is usually something like 5-7 seconds on the game clock, and I get very low FPS for about the first 15 seconds of the game, while I'm trying to buy my first items.

It is reassuring to hear that you seem to have this problem too, so I guess its "normal" for the moment. However, can you give any insight about what might be causing this, and why sometimes the FPS drop seems to last for a bit more than 5 to 15 seconds? I'd assume its just start up lag or something? Still, I would like to get into the game and have the same functionality that my teammates do at 00:00 on the game clock.

Vlad Alexa

08-28-2013

I played lol sine it came to the mac quite intensely on a 2007 iMac, here are my 2 cents (game resolution is max, most settings medium, fps around 25)

NOTE:
I also play on a 2011 Macbook Air with a SSD, there is no lag whatever of any kind there so i assume most of it is I/O delay ... damn spinning drives.

1. Death lag

happened a bit most likely from ultimates until the Freljord patch or so, haven't seen it recently

2. End Screen Victory/Defeat lag(as soon as you hit "CONTINUE", it is an incredibly slow load to get back to your desktop and the post game lobby)

it crashes and starts the bug sending/tracing app almost 10% of games

3. INCREDIBLY bad FPS for the first few minutes, making any early game invades/ganks literally impossible to play a part in

have fps lag the first 5 seconds or so when the spawn circle animates too

4. Lag in game at seemingly random times, causing FPS to drop to ~04-15

mostly gone, had some before the Freljord patch

5. Extensive lag when running LoL and any browser, regardless of whether or not the page is updating/being changed

don't have flash, browser has no effect on game especially on the latest operating system beta that compresses memory

6. Occasionally will just force quit or freeze completely

only had this 4-5 times in 1000 games or so

7. f you force quit it because it froze, often will not load properly again (until restart, or not even then) - in a previous patch it suddenly force quit and gave my friend,(FlamingoTango) a "You are in game" error when they weren't in game (Their specs being 10.6.82.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3)

i recall a edge case when i could not reconnect to a game after a crash, either the game said there is no game in progress or something else i can't recall exactly

Mike4Real

09-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4Real View Post
Thanks for the awesome reply Brentmeister. Its great when you guys respond specifically to certain issues. If you dont mind, can I ask for some more specifics about number 3? When I get into a game, it seems that I join the game slightly after my teammates. This time is usually something like 5-7 seconds on the game clock, and I get very low FPS for about the first 15 seconds of the game, while I'm trying to buy my first items.

It is reassuring to hear that you seem to have this problem too, so I guess its "normal" for the moment. However, can you give any insight about what might be causing this, and why sometimes the FPS drop seems to last for a bit more than 5 to 15 seconds? I'd assume its just start up lag or something? Still, I would like to get into the game and have the same functionality that my teammates do at 00:00 on the game clock.
Bump. I'd still like to have some more information about this. It's actually hurting my ranked 5s performance, I simply cannot make it out of the base as fast as my teammates who are able to play at 00:00 on the game clock.

Mike4Real

11-18-2013

Now that World's are over and we're gonna be going into Season 4 soon I'm gonna bump this again. I would really like to know what causes us to get into the game later than our teammates. I want to be able to move on the fountain at 00:00 on the game clock, not at 00:11 with 1 FPS.

Mike4Real

11-25-2013

Bump

Noschke

11-26-2013

Just got a Mac recently and I've been experiencing the first two a lot. None of the others, though. I never get random lag spikes / frame rate drops mid/late game but the frame drop with the deaths happens every single death.

It's not too big a deal generally but if you're playing Kog / Zyra you pretty much are not able to use the passive.

iLiger

11-26-2013

Quote:
Thanks for the clear and concise feedback. I'll do my best to address your points. Please excuse my brevity as I wanted to get through them all. If you need any clarification on a point just let me know.

1. Death lag (Screen freezes and FPS drops to 0 for a few seconds the moment you die)
This happens to me only on my first death. I figured it's just another instance of #4. Does it happen everytime for you?

2. End Screen Victory/Defeat lag(as soon as you hit "CONTINUE", it is an incredibly slow load to get back to your desktop and the post game lobby)
The game takes a long time to shutdown on Windows too. It's something we're looking at but there isn't a quick fix.

The first few minutes? I get bad FPS for the first 5 seconds but it goes away.

4. Lag in game at seemingly random times, causing FPS to drop to ~04-15
We've noticed that the hitching lengths are slightly longer on Mac. We've already fixed specific instances of hitching that we've found. If you can list any specific cases we can file bugs for them. We're also working on a solution to get rid of hitching forever on both Windows and Mac.

5. Extensive lag when running LoL and any browser, regardless of whether or not the page is updating/being changed
Another user posted about this earlier. It seems to have to do with Flash lagging Mac bad. If you have a flash player open your Mac will just be slower. We can't really fix this from our end.

6. Occasionally will just force quit or freeze completely
This isn't necessarily unique to Mac. We get crashes/freezes on Windows as well. Obviously we try to fix them as we detect them. The key to fixing any of these issues is having a reliable way to make them happen. Once we have a reliable way to make a crash happen we can fix it. If you are getting Bugsplats filling out information(map, mode, spectating?) about what you were doing at the time of the crash is extremely helpful! Note: Fixes in 3.11 should fix about 90% of mac crashes.

7. f you force quit it because it froze, often will not load properly again (until restart, or not even then) - in a previous patch it suddenly force quit and gave my friend,(FlamingoTango) a "You are in game" error when they weren't in game (Their specs being 10.6.82.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3)
I am a little unclear on this point. So his game froze. He Force Quit the app. Then it told him he was in game but he wasn't? If he force quit he should still be attached to the game afterwards(it's still going on in the server).
The lag occurs for every death for me, not just the first.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

11-26-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4Real View Post
Now that World's are over and we're gonna be going into Season 4 soon I'm gonna bump this again. I would really like to know what causes us to get into the game later than our teammates. I want to be able to move on the fountain at 00:00 on the game clock, not at 00:11 with 1 FPS.
Thanks for understanding that things can get pretty hectic.
Can you post your machine specs and r3d logs here? Maybe we can find a machine in-house that matches your specs closely.

Mike4Real

11-27-2013

Quote:
Thanks for understanding that things can get pretty hectic.
Can you post your machine specs and r3d logs here? Maybe we can find a machine in-house that matches your specs closely.
Thank you for the response. And I certainly can post that information:

I am running a Mid 2010 White Unibody Macbook with 10.6.8. I have 4GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM, with an NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics card. My processor is a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Here's a log for a custom game I played. It took me about 2 minutes 30 seconds to summon (which is normal on my computer). I actually got into the game at about 00:04. Which is a lot sooner than when I am usually playing with my 5 friends. I had poor FPS until about 00:12, then my FPS gradually ramped up.

On maybe a more important note this you may add this log to your collection of those experiencing freezing upon death. I let Soraka Bot kill me, and as soon as my HP was quite low, I was able to take no action for about 3 seconds. Then it unfroze. This bug seems to be more prominent right now, as I am currently unable to time my barrier correctly. I was then messing around with my graphics settings later in this game before exiting it.

I originally rose this concern again after I read in your post on the first page that you yourself have a minor issue relating to this. In the first few seconds of the game, you said that you have bad FPS. I would just like to know, what is the cause of this start up lag? Is the same thing that causes the poor FPS at the start of the game also the same thing that causes the game to come up a few seconds delayed? Is it my processor, my hard drive? Is this normal for the Mac client?

Attached Files
File Type: txt 2013-11-27T05-25-16_r3dlog.txt (43.7 KB, 14 views)