Game Modes Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thezyzyva

11-23-2013

Infiltration: 5v5 on SR where 1 player on each team (the spy) has stealth abilities that enable them to only be seen by enemy champions and only while moving (think Eve plus Teemo). This statue stealth would only be detectable by a combination of stealth revealing mechanics and a nearby champ. Points would only be scored if the spy made it past the inhibitors (making nexus turrets meaningless and ideally reducing turtleling). Spies would get reduced defenses so that fast champs could not just race past defenders but also greatly reduced spawn timers so they are always a threat. The 4 other champs on each team would play as normal.

Personally I think that something like this has a lot of potential strategies, things like distractions vs defenders, speed vs safety, assault vs defense, ect. There might be a few champs that might need to be disabled as spies due to huge range ults, but otherwise I think discovering the best could be a ton of fun.

Thezyzyva

11-23-2013

Ultimate ARAM: Ive seen this mentioned before but Ill add my ideation of it. A 5v5 on HA where every skill is randomly assigned. Champs would be based on the passive, and every other skill would be randomly given based on the default key used for it. IE your q skill could be any champs q but not any w or e, and same for the other keys. Obviously some ults would have to be disabled, but transformed skills would be enabled (cougar nid, hammer jayce, ect). Since Riot tries to make similar abilities placed on the same keys, this doesnt seem like a huge deal.

Personally I think this could be a crazy ass ton of fun. Heck, even on TT this could be fun. SR maybe less so if only cause one teams marksmen could land AD scaling abilities while the others doesnt. But all in all, crazy tends to be a lot of fun.

Hylebosaiden

11-24-2013

On the eve of the Preseason Patch I celebrated the end of Unlimited Wards in Co-Op vs AI by running around Summoner's Rift with Mobillity Boots and 25 wards trying to light up as much of the minimap as possible. It was pretty amusing, what if that was a gametype that we called...

Vision Wars
The most basic of premises:
1) There's no limits on ward placement.
2) Wards are cheaper than they normally are in SR.
3) New Wards are added to the store which puts a crazy spin on gameplay.

In a perfect world I'd love for this to be a crazy alternate-win game mode where the team that has the best vision control of the map (in percentage map area) by the end of a time limit wins the game. To that regard, wards would not expire, creating a gametype where teams have many skirmishes as they try to clear out enemy wards and place their own wards as the fight for control of the map.

Unfortunately approaching that mode from a game design standpoint there are numerous problems that are introduced. To name a few:
1) How do you prevent the game from being flat? Normal League of Legends has phases and escalating Conflict, in a gametype based around dropping as many wards as possible, how do you create a sense of progression?
2) How do standard elements of League like laning, minions, and turrets fit into this game? If you were to just play this on Summoner's Rift, it seems like those elements would conflict with the general idea of warding the hell out of everything.
3) How do you prevent snowballing and keep the game exciting till the final second? It especially seems like the game would just come down to massive team fights that end with one team surviving and clearing out the other team's wards, then the losing team is at a huge disadvantage because the enemy team has more vision and is also more wealthy as a result of the latest exchange.

It would be super fun to prototype a gametype like this and other such gametypes as an Intern at Riot, but as the solutions to these problems likely require a special map with special vision related objectives to control (A tower that can be captured to reveal all wards within a radius, monsters in a jungle that can be killed to replenish your wards), perhaps it's best to start out theming this mode as a standard 5v5 Summoner's Rift map but with some unusual oddball wards being readily availible to players.

Honestly I love the idea of a ward that has abillities that kick in whenever a player walks within its radius of vision. I'm sorta surprised that the design team hasn't played around with this sort of idea more, it could add a lot of interesting effects to League. A few ideas for those kinds of wards in an unsorted list:

1) Speed Ward - Acts like Jayce's Acceleration Gate, granting a temporary movement speed buff for all allies that run within its radius.
2) Aegis Ward - Acts like a mini Aegis of the Legion, buffing the defenses of allies that fight within it.
3) Slow Ward - Slows all enemy (or perhaps allies too) skill shots and ranged attacks that pass through the radius of the ward.
4) Symmetric Ward - Really cheap, but also gives vision to both teams.
5) Cleric Ward - Generates stacks over time, it can consume those stacks to gradually restore health and mana to allies that stand near it.
6) Spy Ward - Gains a stack every time it spots an enemy champion, those stacks are converted to player gold when the ward dies or expires.
7) Portal Ward - Allows a champion to teleport to any other ward within a certain radius, long global cool down shared between all Portals.
8) Baker Ward - Allied Players that visit this wards can stock themselves with baked goods which can be eaten to replenish Health and Mana.
9) Bush Ward - Grows a small temporary bush (about the size of the dot bush in the river) around the ward when placed.
10) Taunting Ward - Enemies that walk within the ward's radius are automatically taunted by the ward until the ward is destroyed.

Really there's a ton that you can do that can mimic various items, game mechanics, or champion abillities and giving players access to a large variety of different wards would make for a very fun mode where you try out different wards that really screw with the way the game is played. Suddenly, new jungle routes are availible because a friendly Baker Ward near my Golems can keep me sustaining in the Jungle for longer. Your team runs to face check baron and they see about five bushes that they don't remember normally existing on the map. Someone managed to put a spy ward next to each entrance to the enemy base and is making serious bank. Some jerk keeps dropping Taunting Wards in unexpected places.

As long as the effects are appropriately priced and the effects themselves aren't too anti-fun (an arming delay before the wards becomes active might be prudent on things like the Taunting Ward), I think it could make for a really fun one to two week gametype. There are a few issues to consider though, for one, conveyance, especially for players who've never played the mode before, is a big one. Each special ward seems like it would need a unique model and perhaps a disable-able mouse-over pop-up that gives a quick blurb about what it does.

What do you guys think? What sort of wards would you create for this mode?

Painezor

11-24-2013

Reverse CTF
Objective Get Neutral Buff Monster into the enemy's Fountain.
Map Any
Champions Anyone with displacement CC (Syndra, Alistar, Thresh, Blitcrank, Poppy, Vayne, Singed)
Game play Using your champion's displacement tools, attempt to get the neutral buff monster into the opponents fountain. Towers, creep waves, damage to enemy champions all optional. Do you use your crowd control to disable the enemy champions, or make a push with the neutral monster? Required modifications: Neutral monster to be immune to all damage.
Optional Variations: Lowered Cooldown on extra champions spells: Lee Sin Ults, Darius Pulls, Diana Pulls, Nautilus Pulls, Urgot Ults

Turret Wars
This one would require a LOT of coding and might theoretically break everything.
Objective Destroy opposing nexus
Champions Any with projectiles.
Gameplay One player controls a champion's movement, other players (1-4) can fire the champin's skill shots from the champion's location.
Optional Variants: Inceased base move speed, allow for tanky character to be chosen by mover and squishies to be chosen for skillshots.

Zombies
Objective Survive.
Map Crystal Scar
Champions Any
Gameplay Zombie team starts with 1 player, the other team has 9. Team with 9 players cannot heal. Once a player from the team with 9 is killed, they join the zombies.
Required Modifications: Team switching mechanic, disabling of towers (and laser).

Bounty Rabbit
Objective Kill the "rabbit".
Map Crystal Scar
Champions Any
Gameplay All players on separate teams. Player who deals first blood becomes the bounty rabbit. Played to a time limit (20 minutes?). Killing an enemy grants 50g, killing an enemy while you are the bounty rabbit grants bonus gold (+200?), killing the bounty rabbit grants even more gold (+500?), bounty rabbit takes and deals increased damage (+50%?).

Nexus Wars
Objective Destroy Enemy Nexus
Map Any
Champions Any
Gameplay Gold may, in addition to expenditure on items for the player's champion, be spent on spawning a unit in each of the team's lanes. These units will cost varying amounts depending on their strength. Spawning a unit will in addition grant the player an amount of gold per 10.
This will accelerate gameplay, as players will quickly earn more and more gold per wave they spawn, and equally players will recieve the bonus gold from killing units spawned by the enemy team.
It also leads to gameplay decisions such as "do I spend all my gold on cheap units to increase my gp10, or do I buy some expensive ones and hope to cause pressure on the map, or should I get some items for my champions? Actually, no, I'm going to save up some gold and then push for the win!"

Xeiom

11-26-2013

5v5 Onslaught-esque.
2 Rounds, about 25 waves. you take it in turns defending and attacking.
Howling Abbys so no healing at platform.

Both teams vote for the defending champion and the attacking champion. (both teams can see the votes for both)
Then you play 5v5 all same champions, attackers are the voted attacking champion and defenders the voting defender champion. (switch next round) (You could just do this as normal draft if you wanted)

No one gains gold over time.
Only attackers spawn low damage minions and attackers have unlimited respawns but start level 1 with only say 800 gold.
Defenders have no minions, start level 18 and have 30K gold(full build) but they have only one life.

When an attacker dies he must wait till the next wave to spawn. When he respawns he gains a level and 1K gold. He also starts with homeguards active so he can get into the action really quick.

Attackers win by either killing all the defenders or destroying the nexus. Every kill a defender gets gives the defenders team +1 point. Each minute the defenders survive gives +1 point. Attackers being executed counts as a point. Each Tower killed gives the attackers another 1K gold each.

You win the game by being the defending team with the most points.

Early the attackers will be weak, die and come back quickly. Later they'll eventually be equal in power so it's about how long your team can hold out. Both teams have to suffer through the same champions so it's just about how well you can adapt to the situation.

Plenty of requirement for tweaking, but could be really fun.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

11-26-2013
7 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeiom View Post
5v5 Onslaught-esque.
2 Rounds, about 25 waves. you take it in turns defending and attacking.
Howling Abbys so no healing at platform.

Both teams vote for the defending champion and the attacking champion. (both teams can see the votes for both)
Then you play 5v5 all same champions, attackers are the voted attacking champion and defenders the voting defender champion. (switch next round) (You could just do this as normal draft if you wanted)

No one gains gold over time.
Only attackers spawn low damage minions and attackers have unlimited respawns but start level 1 with only say 800 gold.
Defenders have no minions, start level 18 and have 30K gold(full build) but they have only one life.

When an attacker dies he must wait till the next wave to spawn. When he respawns he gains a level and 1K gold. He also starts with homeguards active so he can get into the action really quick.

Attackers win by either killing all the defenders or destroying the nexus. Every kill a defender gets gives the defenders team +1 point. Each minute the defenders survive gives +1 point. Attackers being executed counts as a point. Each Tower killed gives the attackers another 1K gold each.

You win the game by being the defending team with the most points.

Early the attackers will be weak, die and come back quickly. Later they'll eventually be equal in power so it's about how long your team can hold out. Both teams have to suffer through the same champions so it's just about how well you can adapt to the situation.

Plenty of requirement for tweaking, but could be really fun.
I am seeing a lot of asymmetrical game concepts popping up here. I really like the idea. Would you have this built on SR, It seems like you would want some alterations to the base map to make this successful.

Stez007

11-26-2013

Here's an idea I came up with a long time ago.

A 5v5 map whose objectives are to capture and hold points in order to drain health from the enemy's Nexus. Each team would contest the five available points, with only the team that holds a majority of points dealing damage-over-time to the opposing Nexus. Kills would drain points, too, but at a slower rate and tapering off toward the later stages of the fight.

I call it, "League of Legends: Dominion" and think it'd be a really strong mode with a lot of strategic depth if Riot supports it.

Oh, wait, that won't happen because you're too busy supporting these uncompetitive "for fun" modes. It's a disgrace that Riot supports these little bull**** ideas more than the competitive game mode you designed and left for dead. This entire concept is an insult to the Dominion community and you should feel ashamed of yourselves.

arkhammer

11-27-2013

"Draft" mode ARAM.

* You roll the enemy champion instead of your own champion.
* No bans, since selection is all random.
* you roll the enemy champion across from you (e.g., Summoner 3 rerolls for opposing Summoner 3, etc.).

MightyMeowse

11-27-2013

Ryze of the Zombies: (takes place on Summoners Rift, only Ryzes side spawns minions and everyone but Zombies and Ryze have only their immediate vision)one player starts as Zombie Ryze, he is immune to damage but loses 1% of his hp every 10 seconds. Ryze can not gain HP back in anyway except for by killing an opposing champion(BRAINS!), for which he gains 20% hp. Upon killing an enemy champion the champion instantly rises as a risen zombie on Zombie Ryzes team, risen Zombies can not gain movement past normal movement speed. Zombies can be killed but instantly revive at base. Risen Zombies can not gain gold but keep all items they had before they died. Champions can not Back nor do they have access to flash, teleport, or ghost.

Win by either outlasting Zombie Ryze or converting everyone to zombies.

Xeiom

11-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I am seeing a lot of asymmetrical game concepts popping up here. I really like the idea. Would you have this built on SR, It seems like you would want some alterations to the base map to make this successful.
I think this mode could work on both SR or HA but SR would probably be the better. There would be distinct differences in the flow of the game as 3 lanes of minions would mean at some point defenders would have to split up giving the attackers opportunity to catch one out. Single lane would really be a straight up death match of sorts, which has it's own merits (faster game time for one)

I like the idea of SR because you could potentially alter the jungle, there are no need for jungle minions so it could be more maze-like allowing the attackers to set up ganks.

I know there will probably be a few things to change that we can't tell until it actually got some play time. I expect that without some form of healing globes that defending players would feel forced to take high regen stats so maybe the jungle could have some regen globes that the attackers can contest so there isn't a need to go spirit visage and chalice of harmony every game as defender.