1 Challenger + 5 Golds + 3 Platinums + 1 Silver

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KiteAzure

11-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
If we were to fix it, we'd probably just put a tier restriction on extreme edge cases (e.g. if someone is more than 2 tiers from you, you can't match with them as a duo)

- Zileas
please no, not the last part in at least normals.

I come from silver/bronze friends, I would cry if I could not play with them in silly normal games.

zileas pls I will main volibear if you do this

taotico

11-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteAzure View Post

I come from silver/bronze friends, I would cry if I could not play with them in silly normal games.

Calm the **** down and learn to read. He's talking about DUO QUEUE in RANKED. NOT normals.

KiteAzure

11-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by taotico View Post
Calm the **** down and learn to read. He's talking about DUO QUEUE in RANKED. NOT normals.
ok, im still against it then.

Dyto

11-24-2013

Quote:
Actually, about a year ago there was a bunch of forum talk about this concept, so we went in and looked at how people play -- and premades are actually incredibly popular and have majority participation (e.g. most people do them at least sometimes)... and don't seem to have specific other negative outcomes in terms of behavior, etc. We like that they help play with your friends, and appear to not have negative side effects in aggregate. Clearly, when you lose, you are going to blame something for the loss, and premades are as convenient an excuse as any. But... they do seem to be a good thing for the mode overall as far as I can tell, and I did look pretty closely with the social systems guys.

I am far more open to a debate about if diamond players should premake at all with silvers.
Remove duo queue from solo ranked...

Bam boosting ends immediately.

WatDaWat

11-24-2013

Quote:
The debate has to be around if diamond players should be able to pre-make at all with their silver friends. Because, if they do, this will have to happen.
I'm leveling an alternate acount to play with my friends because

A) I get flamed about my rank CONSTANTLY dueod to lolnexus

B) I currently cant play without screwing them over by putting them against people they cant handle.

It's a no win situation really. Queue with them and stomp their opponents, or get them someone they cant handle.

Maybe have duo queue MMR rating?

WatDaWat

11-24-2013

Quote:
Actually, about a year ago there was a bunch of forum talk about this concept, so we went in and looked at how people play -- and premades are actually incredibly popular and have majority participation (e.g. most people do them at least sometimes)... and don't seem to have specific other negative outcomes in terms of behavior, etc. We like that they help play with your friends, and appear to not have negative side effects in aggregate. Clearly, when you lose, you are going to blame something for the loss, and premades are as convenient an excuse as any. But... they do seem to be a good thing for the mode overall as far as I can tell, and I did look pretty closely with the social systems guys.

I am far more open to a debate about if diamond players should premake at all with silvers.
I'm curious, do you have the winrates for team with and without 2-man premades in ranked?
I very rarely see the team with a premade come out on top.

(I used to duo with a shaco jungler and wed win a ton, but only because we had a very specific strategy)

Dyto

11-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDaWat View Post
I'm curious, do you have the winrates for team with and without 2-man premades in ranked?

(I used to duo with a shaco jungler and wed win a ton, but only because we had a very specific strategy)
This...

Basically if your team has a duo and the enemy doesnt you're basically waiting for the FF vote -.-

r0achthelooter

11-24-2013

The Riot responses to this thread are so mind boggling it makes me wonder if they actually play their own game. I was gold in season 3, and If I play this game on a weekend, I can play 10 games in a row and every single game will get stuck with a duo on my team. At least 1/2 of those duos will be something like a plat and bronze, plat and silver, or gold 1 whose bronze 1 friend thinks that having a lopsided duo will actually help him win his series. The lopsided duos are the norm, at least on the weekend.

The 3 suckers who get stuck with these lopsided duos get no positive benefit, only negative. They are effectively being griefed by Riot. All it gives you is a highly inflexible team where whoever plays ADC is going to be stuck with a bronze support and get raped in lane, or worse and what usually happens, the bronze actually calls a position like mid or top and goes against a plat and either feeds or lets his lane roam and kill your entire team constantly.

Riot keeps acting like the happiness of the duo is the most important thing and they should be able to play how they want, whenever they want, but what about the 3 other people? Aren't the needs of the 3 people being griefed by your system higher than that of just 2 people?

The following picture is an example of the majority of my weekend games. I'm in gold and have a duo on my team. One of the duo, Teemo, has ZERO ranked games played, ZERO. Her skill level was so bad, that the 3 people on my team who weren't in the duo thought she was intentionally feeding on purpose, even though she wasn't. We had no idea she had 0 ranked games played.

The matchmaking system isn't capable of matching people with that big of a gap. I played against a silver 2 Ryze in top lane and I go 5/0 in lane, taking both towers. Bot lane got blown out so hard, it was still an automatic loss though. The point is, these matches are nothing but luck who wins. Luck based on who the match making system screws over more. Trying to claim elo is a valid measure of skill when you force people to play 10 games in a row with duos like this any weekend is ridiculous.

The matchmaking system should either only allow duos in the same division, or 1 division apart.

Name:  weekend.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  146.0 KB

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-24-2013
6 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteAzure View Post

IF we did that, we'd only do it to ranked solo/duo. That's it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-24-2013
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDaWat View Post

Yes, we do some matchmaking adjustments to move this very close to 50%. It gyrates a little bit patch to patch, but it averages out very, very close to 50% because we make adjustments when people duo.