[Idea #1] Gain Champion Borders v2 (+PREVIEW)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taiyo4D

11-24-2013

Quote:
My 4 concepts already got more than 200,000 views in EUW-Forum!
And 4,158 UpVotes on reddit and +556 EUW-Forum-UpVotes.
Within 6 Days! wow thank you all!
Hi everyone!

Preview: Click HERE to see preview v2.4 [Image]

New:
  • New champion-score
  • New champion-borders
  • New sort by most played champions
  • New summoner icons to achieve long term
  • New competition for individual champions
Summary:
  • More motivation to progress (achieve borders)
  • Less frustration in normal-games
  • Higher risk & higher reward for ranked
  • Play ranked to win - Instead of misusing them as normal-games (see below)
  • Prevents people from trolling ranked (see below)
The new concept:
I want to have a glorious collection of champions - like a strong own army of heroes and the proof that I am able to control these champions.
In my opinion the old champion >list< is grey, sad and confused - nothing personal.
You often do not know what champion you want to play?
Is it hard to find champions in the list you are looking for?

I developed a concept solving these problems (and more):
Each champion will receive an own border based on his score.
You will get score for each match:
  • Game-Mode: Win | Lose
  • Bot/Custom: +0 | +0
  • Normal-Game: +5 | +1
  • Ranked-Game: +11 | -5
Hint: If a champ needs a minimum score of 10 in order to play ranked - the quality and experience of ranked games will improve. (optional part)
Borders & upgrades need following score:
  • 30 Score = Bronze
  • 75 Score = Silver
  • 225 Score = Gold
  • 375 Score = Platinum
  • 600 Score = Diamond
The goal is to give players more motivation to play new champions and to improve old champions as well. To play a champ the first time is fun. To master a champion is something completely different - but it is just as exciting.
I suggest the following rewards (but Riot maybe dont want additional avarage +10 IP/game):
  • Any new border rewards you with 350 IP (NOT RP).
  • Border-upgrades reward you with 250 IP.
Additionally there will be summoner icons as rewards:
  • Icon 1 = 10 Borders
  • Icon 2 = 25 Borders
  • Icon 3 = 50 Borders
  • Icon 4 = 90 Borders
  • Icon 5 = 250 Borders
If you want to gain as many borders as possible you automatically will get to really know more and more champions of the League of Legends.
Possibly you ignored many champions without knowing whether they may become your favorite champion one day.
I myself often avoided champions and refused to play them until ARAM forced me to do so and then I realized how much I enjoyed playing them.
Also mastering a champion will be a greater experience. You will be proud having mastered about 3 champions. This will be obvious by your diamond or even challenger champion border.

Without my concept you may think a lost game is wasted time. You still have improved your skill - but there is no feedback for that.
With my concept you will get score and the summoner icons. Not only in ranked games and even if you lose you get at least +1 in a normal game.
Losing will be less frustating, because you are progressing. This will be more inspiring, motivating and much more fun.
The champion borders would only be visable to the player himself.
The amount of borders(+upgrades) will be visible to anyone!

I additionally suggest a challenger border for the Top 100 player with the highes score of a champion.
The first attainment of a challenger border may be rewarded with a skin for this champion (except legendary, ultimate, limited and rare skins) or some RP if you already earned all available skins. (But again: I think Riot don't want to give free Skin/RP)
There will be a ranking of the players who have the highscore on a champion. This creates an additional competition.

I created different themes!
Thin borders (v2.4) 3,000
Fragment 3,000 - Fragment 8,000
Icon 3,000 - Icon 8,000
Fat 3,000 - Fat 8,000 <- First version of this concept
Slim 3,000 - Slim 8,000 - Slim colored 3,000 - Slim (v3) 3,000 - Slim (v4) 3,000
Numbers 3,000
Blanc
Original

Which theme is your favorite? Tell me in the comments!

I also programmed a Tool to create realistic test-cases: www.lol.softwar3.com
The Program simulates how many borders an avarage player with X-amount of games would have.
It is even possible to change the score needed for every border!
Thx @Miikku who helped my with this!

Thanks to Juli94 especially and all others who helped me to develope and improve this concept.

My other ideas (EUW-Forum, NA will follow):
[Idea] New Champion-Selection v2.1 (with PREVIEW) (updated)
[Idea] Skin-Collection (with PREVIEW)
[Idea] New Mastery Pages v2.1 (with PREVIEW) (updated)
[Idea] Gain Borders for your Champions (with PREVIEW) <- old v1.0 of this thread

@Riot: (Thank you for LoL)
I would like to know if this concept fits into LoL. Or wether it's possible to improve it further to have a chance of implimentation one day.
I know you work hard (specifically server-stability these days) and you have a pipline for new content/improvements.
Last weeks many ingame interfaces were updated and the air-client too.
To impliment a new feature takes a bunch of work, it goes through different phases and even more I cannot imagine right now.
But I want to help to improve League of Legends. I really want that! I would like to learn how to program with flash to help you improving the air-client, If you allow.
I would like to know how to become a profesional interface-designer who could work with you some day. It would be great to get some advice.
Working on interfaces makes me really happy, even for extremely long periods of time.

What kind of additional skill do I need to be able to work with you guys?

Do you like the concept?
Tell me your opinion and what you think about this idea!

NlDALEE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2013

Idk about this in ranked.

I don't really enjoy people playing new champions in my elo as they don't do well with them.

Still a pretty good idea though, +1.

A 7 Year Old

11-24-2013

+1

Taiyo4D

11-24-2013

hi :) thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NlDALEE View Post
I don't really enjoy people playing new champions in my elo as they don't do well with them.
Thats why I suggested this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiyo4D View Post
Hint: If a champ needs a minimum score of 10 in order to play ranked - the quality and experience of ranked games will improve. (optional part)

NlDALEE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiyo4D View Post
hi thx!

Thats why I suggested this one:
The score needs to be higher, honestly.

If the score was a minimum of 50, I'd be much more comfy with it.

DarkflameShyvana

11-24-2013

I will always upvote this.

Taiyo4D

11-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NlDALEE View Post
The score needs to be higher, honestly.
If the score was a minimum of 50, I'd be much more comfy with it.
That's something we could consider.
I personally like that, it might also avoid people from smurfing or elo-boosting that much!
+ I think it will dramatically increase ranked experience.

Taiyo4D

11-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkflameShyvana View Post
I will always upvote this.
ty

Taiyo4D

02-24-2014

This is #1 on reddit ATM: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/

Pikmints

02-24-2014

One of my only problems with this is the "minimum score of 10" possibly getting in the way of trading champs. I perfectly understand that the point of this would be to prevent 1st time champs being played in ranked, but I see no way that they could require a minimum score and also leaving champ trading untouched. This could also lead to people being forced into roles they don't have a variety of champs in/ much experience with being even further clamped by the restriction. First time I played Cho on Summoner's Rift was in a ranked game and I won, but only because a duo took my only other preferred roles in bot lane.

Perhaps we could even make it to be somewhat game mode exclusive like the medals on the summoner profile. As we all know, playing Karthus in ARAM is a lot different to playing Karthus in Summoner's Rift, so playing 20 games of Karthus in ARAM just means you know how to play in ARAM style matches while not necessarily being aware of how you should play him in the rift. There are also some champs that excel in Dominion more than others, same goes for Twisted Treeline. Having each mode have its own system separate from one another could help keep things more organized while also giving people incentive to not only play champs they wouldn't normally play, but also in game types they wouldn't normally play in the first place.