Can't use the 4 key for items!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ponway

Recruiter

11-22-2013

Is anyone else annoyed about this?
For me 4 was the easiest key to reach with my middle finger and I always used it for my quickest reaction active item.
Swapping around items in their slots is useful and having 4 locked out is pretty annoying.
Certainly has already confused me once in a team fight.

Siyanor

11-22-2013

4 ISN'T locked out. 4 is the new default for trinkets. You can change these in your settings...

Rayven

UX Designer

11-22-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Apologies that the default bind is disruptive for you, however the power is within your control You can rebind the hotkey using the options menu [ESC].

Out of curiosity, what key will you set it to? Same question for everyone else: What's your custom trinket bind, why, and what hotkeys do you have other active items set to?

Kirazy

11-22-2013

I desire to know why the trinket is not 7 by default.

Seems most logical and least disruptive.

Belonging

11-22-2013

7 makes the most sense to me, considering how items have been 1-6 for the longest time, and now a new slot gets added in and forces them apart i have to move every active to 1-3 just so i dont mash the trinket hotkey while trying to chug a potion or something

Decoylegends

11-22-2013

I agree that trinket on 4 feels disruptive. I always had a potion or ward on 4 as it was one of my most easily accessed keys.

davin

Senior User Researcher

11-22-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirazy View Post
I desire to know why the trinket is not 7 by default.

Seems most logical and least disruptive.
Because it is super super difficult for people to use in the normal QWER and QWE hand placement. You have to move your whole hand, instead of just a finger. We considered a lot of different keys (~, 1, T, 7, 4, etc.), but in studies with players we found the tradeoffs of accessibility and disruption were best with 4. We wanted it to work internationally, to not disrupt learned early game potion patterns, to be easy to use in combat, etc.

But, of course, a strong default still won't work for everyone... so it's rebindable!

AvenMohandar

11-22-2013

As Kirazy said 7 would have been the best default key for trinkets as people normally will use them out of combat when they are at little risk. Normally I use my actives in the first open bars by the importance of the item i.e. BORK as #1 hydra as #2 banner of command as #3 and so on. However the #4 slot does seem easier to access and may use that as my active slot now.

DeafCatMoan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2013

T is for Trinket.
Why is this so difficult?
7 is half way across the effing keyboard!

davin

Senior User Researcher

11-22-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCatMoan View Post
T is for Trinket.
Why is this so difficult?
7 is half way across the effing keyboard!
All the accidentally activated ults made us unhappy with that one. Folks also tend to think of Trinkets as items and items as going on number keys. We definitely thought about T