Who would use a MAC?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ButtKnocker

11-17-2013

Especially for gaming...

Jigglebone

11-17-2013

THIS GUY
*points to self*

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

11-18-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I play LoL mainly on my Mac despite having bootcamp. Are you asking if it's a viable option? I get better LoL performance on my Mac but it doesn't support as many games as my Windows box.

Dessembrae

11-18-2013

Out of curiosity, do you know why Macs seem to load far slower than windows machines? Even using a SSD, it takes about 10 seconds for the loading screen to show me who else is in the game, and even then, the loading time is slower.

At game end time, it usually has a 3-5 second delay before the victory or defeat displays as well.

These are my current specs as well

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 10.51.49 PM.png
Views:	82
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	832969  

zZBlackmatterZz

11-18-2013

I have always played LOL on a MAC, both bootcamp and now in the beta. Works great !

Drenel

11-18-2013

I got a brand new MacBook Pro and it runs LoL Way better than my old Windows machine... it was a few years old but a laptop is a laptop. I don't have a Windows parallel yet because I don't feel a need for one.

I used to be an "Anti-Apple" (if that is what you would like it) kind of person. But since someone recommended I get a Mac for work, broadcasting, I've not really noticed a difference between this and my old laptop. Yes things work differently, things are in different places, and supports vary, and so on, but I've managed to learn those differences and find that I'm enjoying how I use the machine more than what the machine is.

When it comes to games, I feel like it comes down to the tech of the machine and the support given by the game provider. So far League has never crashed on me in over 3 months, when it would crash every once and a while on my Windows. I don't see why I wouldn't play this game just because I'm on a mac.

bagmangood

11-18-2013

I run mac because I'm a software developer and I don't have to worry about if "this is going to work" in the same I would in general.
As a software developer I do have enough disposable income to own a desktop as well, but if I didn't, I would probably just run the mac.

In response the above guy on why its slower - could just have to do with how adobe air/the game client needs to be implemented.

bagmangood

11-18-2013

I should add that the important bit is the ability to own multiple computers, and the importance of you know, work in the decision for the primary :P

Mike4Real

11-18-2013

First of all the brand is Macintosh. It is not an acronym. Its Mac, not MAC.

Also there are several reasons people might use them over a Windows PC. When I bought mine, I didn't buy it to play this game, nor did I know this game existed. Now that I can play it though why shouldn't I? Granted if money wasn't an issue and I was in the market for a new computer specifically for gaming, I might not by a Mac. However, many of us are not in that situation.

matrinox

11-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtKnocker View Post
Especially for gaming...
Some people don't use it primarily for gaming. The music, movie, and art industry mostly only use Macs and specifically OS X, even when the same software is also on Windows.