The proof is here... MM is broken

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

12-21-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

they probably had a premade going, for which we over-penalize new accounts.

Gandalf 007

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
This makes everything ok

Tiny4Ever

Adjudicator

12-21-2009

if matchmaking is broken, why does it put me in games when i hit play game?

GrimGriz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-22-2009

Quote:

This is the closest I've seen to an admission that the system punishes people for inviting their friends to try the game and queuing up with them. Now if only Riot would stop doing it.

christensenwas

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimGriz View Post
This is the closest I've seen to an admission that the system punishes people for inviting their friends to try the game and queuing up with them. Now if only Riot would stop doing it.

matchmaking can never be 100%. Im sure 5 pros could all make new accounts and que up togeahter and squish whoever they're up against. Just because that can happen doesnt mean MM is broken.

its hard for riot to judge the skill level of a player based on a limited number of games, especially if you solo que. So much of your ability is masked by your 4 other teammates, either brining you up or down.

The only way to "fix MM" is to make 4 friends around your skill level, and que with them often.

Gandalf 007

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensenwas View Post
matchmaking can never be 100%. Im sure 5 pros could all make new accounts and que up togeahter and squish whoever they're up against.
Why the hell would anyone want to do this? I see just as much complaining about no-challenge steamroll wins (especially from good players) as I do losses.

Sometimes I will AFK for minutes at a time during games where I've gone on 10-0 runs. It is mind-numbingly boring playing a game with no competition.

I really don't see smurfing in LOL to be as big of a problem as, say, some RTS like WC3. LOL just isn't as serious of a game to entice as much of this practice....

GrimGriz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensenwas View Post
matchmaking can never be 100%. Im sure 5 pros could all make new accounts and que up togeahter and squish whoever they're up against. Just because that can happen doesnt mean MM is broken.
The problem is at least 2-fold. The first portion being that it's a horrendous pain in the fatty-part-at-the-top-of-the-legs to get a practice game going. How much of that one can attribute to the lack of a working list filter and other issues is hard to say. At any rate, if you try to play a practice game with your low-level/noob friends, you're likely to wait 10-20 minutes for a game if you get people to join yours at all.

So, you queue up with your friend as an arranged team instead. Then, the MM either gives you WAY too much credit for being an arranged team, or it assumes the low-level guy you're with is a pro with a new account and bumps the ELO for the team based on that.

The result is you face opponents FAR above YOUR skill level, which is light-years above your newbie friends level. Which, in turn, means that inviting your friends to the game and playing with them pretty much guarantees they'll have an excremental experience and be unlikely to continue playing. At this point, I'd recommend against inviting your friends to the game until this is fixed, unless they want to spend the time learning how to play well before grouping with you.

Ironically, you can make a new account and play a few decently matched games with them...which is the very action the system is trying to prevent when it makes teaming with them on your normal account unbearable.

immp

12-22-2009

no the proof is HERE

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...=22605&page=85

and

Quote:
or... come back in 2-3 months when we have some massive matchmaking algorithm enhancements in that go beyond any of the other methods currently used on online game. I'm really excited about the skill analysis stuff we are dong. It's only good for 'newish' players, but is hard to game and has a high accuracy. Should create a large improvement overall.

- Zileas
will be interesting to see how this works out *sooner would be better though*