Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

exec3

11-08-2013

I don't feel strongly one way or the other over the visuals of the nexus. While I like the idea brought forward of having 5 summoners and having the summoners do different things based on your champions condition (you could customize this based on the map like a 3 summoner nexus on TT) I question how many people will actually notice this. Tbh currently the nexus (and inhibitors) are just blue things I kill to win the game. There's nothing special or identifying about them unlike other games (Dota's nexus explodes in spectacular fashion when killed, Dawngate's is a monster that defends itself, Smite's is a giant Minotaur that attacks you but League's is just a messy blue building thing).

I really wouldn't mind if you radically redesigned what the nexus looked like or even what it does because right now it has no identity or meaning to me. Though I have to wonder if you remove the meta angle of the summoners from it what are your plans for the League itself? The Maokai lore change just makes me wonder if you guys are preparing to delete the League and the concept of summoners from the lore completely as with every lore update they become more and more meaningless.

Also I look forward to updates to the nexus and inhibitors because they're an absolute eyesore on the more visually updated TT and ARAM maps.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

11-11-2013
31 of 92 Riot Posts

I agree about the old nexus/inhibs they have been on our radar for a while now. They are something we intend to resolve when we get a break from more immediately pressing concerns.

LaxIsBack

11-11-2013

@RiotForScience
what you think about baron and dragon, will get get something to match this new artistical style that is planned for summoners rift in the future?

DeafCatMoan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I agree about the old nexus/inhibs they have been on our radar for a while now. They are something we intend to resolve when we get a break from more immediately pressing concerns.
Pressing concerns.....Is that code for Winter Rift?

exec3

11-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxIsBack View Post
@RiotForScience
what you think about baron and dragon, will get get something to match this new artistical style that is planned for summoners rift in the future?
My guess is yes along with all the other jungle camps (it's already been said elsewhere that the new camp has only temporary art and will be changed later when resources are available, which may or may not mean the SR update), hopefully this also includes minions, they're also an eyesore on all the newer maps as well. :S

I hope that SR's update means we can get the winter and harrowing map skins back eventually!

SonicTheHedgedawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2013

The thing that I want the most is for the river to feel like an actual river instead of long puddles.

Mid Lane should be some sort of bridge to allow the water to run under it, for example, and it should either flow through top/bottom lane or drain under them.. Or some of both, for example, top lane could have water, and both lane could have the water drain before it reaches it, that could allow the water to actually have a flow and feel like a real river

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

11-11-2013
32 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCatMoan View Post
Pressing concerns.....Is that code for Winter Rift?
nope

Concerning Baron, it has already been confirmed that the version of the Baron that is in the Twist-of-Fate trailer is based on an updated version of Baron that we are currently testing. Things in this state are quite sensitive. I would love to show him off to you right now, but the timing is not quite right.

exec3

11-11-2013

Quote:
nope

Concerning Baron, it has already been confirmed that the version of the Baron that is in the Twist-of-Fate trailer is based on an updated version of Baron that we are currently testing. Things in this state are quite sensitive. I would love to show him off to you right now, but the timing is not quite right.
Is this purely a visual change or does it have gameplay changes (as in fighting against) as well? I ask because I can't imagine the cinematic Baron with the same attack patterns as current Baron (so much more potential with the extra tentacles and it'd look off with such a huge creature being slapped in the middle of an empty area).

Hopefully dragon is also getting similar love, if anything he needs the love more than Baron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicTheHedgedawg View Post
The thing that I want the most is for the river to feel like an actual river instead of long puddles.

Mid Lane should be some sort of bridge to allow the water to run under it, for example, and it should either flow through top/bottom lane or drain under them.. Or some of both, for example, top lane could have water, and both lane could have the water drain before it reaches it, that could allow the water to actually have a flow and feel like a real river
The problem with a bridge is that it implies you can't walk into lane from the sides. It's a cool idea but problematic. It'd certainly be cool if Riot can figure out a way to have the river flowing across the map from top to bottom or something (imagine if they went the next step and actually somehow have the water flow reacting to champions that walk through it! :O ).

brunoais

11-12-2013

Quote:
We added a lot of destructable elements into HA. I expect that to be a continuing trend, that being said they are also really expensive from a performance standpoint. We are very careful about how additions like that will impact our min spec players.
For now I'd make the lowest option to disable everything related to motion and actions that is just meant to make the place look better or more majestic.
It think most agree that that's preferable to being unplayable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Another thing I noticed, when The Howling Abyss was released, the one thing that caught my eye specifically before anything else, was that the turrets crumble and fall apart, depending on how much damage they have taken degrading over time.

Now when the nexus actually is being destroyed, nothing is happening but a life bar going down. The explosion and "Ramp up" sound of it blowing up, would be way cool to slowly hear the music, or sound effects changing ramping up to the immediate destruction of the Nexus.

Not necessary, but would be hella flashy, and hopefully more dramatic.
The nexus also heals slowly like the nexus' turrets. I think some nice healing particles and parts moving back to place like someone had pressed the slow motion reverse button would also look awsome!

Cryypter

11-12-2013

I'm not sure if this would be better as a new map or not, but what if you did an underwater version of SR? Coral and seaweed forests, kelp brush, aquatic themed minions and monsters, etc. Everything would have a bluish tinge to it, and there would be a slight wavy effect on the ground from the lighting. Towers and structures would have barnacles climbing up them instead of vines. Maybe have the walls on either side of the midlane brush be shipwrecks.