@IronStylus: Cait VU thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-07-2013
27 of 28 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linna Excel View Post
My guess at the biggest things on your list:
I'll see if I can break this down:

who needs it the most

This is slightly arbitrary. "Most" can constitue a wide range of things. Current visual fidelity of the champ, gameplay balance, thematic strength, etc. So, in an ideal world, if everything were equal, we'd go by who needs it "most", but often we're taking a lot more into consideration than you might think.

who's the easiest of those that need it

This sort of fits into the opportunity category. Maybe we have a piece of content, or a lump of content, which will enable the production of a new relaunch. Fun fact, one of the reasons we were able to hop onto the Nasus VU as quick as we did was because of the new rig for his legendary skin. Legendary skins pretty much constitute new champions in terms of production, so we were able to do a lot just from that skin being in the pipeline.

who is the most popular champ

This doesn't really factor into it. Popular or not, we want to give the champions who need it, the love they deserve.

is there a kit rework to time this with

This again falls into opportunity. Going forward we want to try to time VU's and kit reworks more tightly. It makes sense that if one major aspect of a champion is going to get tweaked, the other aspects should be also if they're outdated.

do we need this to make new skins to sell, if so do we have a pressing new skin idea to justify this

Often, as I've said before, the state of certain champions is preventing us from making further skins, or at least skins to the level which we'd like to make them. The scenario of "OMG we need to make this skin, let's prioritize a VU!" however hasn't actually happened.

do we have a particularly good rework idea

Sometimes an artist or a designer or a writer might have an awesome idea. A number of artists at Riot do thier own brand of fan art of thier favorite champions. If it's awesome, and there's momentum, we sometimes can put that champion's VU into production or at least use that concept for a backlogged VU.

when are the right people we need for this going to be available

I'm guessing this means resource allocation. If you want to tie it in with scope, though Relaunch has a dedicated team across all disciplines, we might have to wait or time something differently if say we don't have resources from that particular discipline. Such as, "X VU will take Y amount of VFX resources, which is not feasible since Z is in the pipeline currently."

can this VU nerf Irelia or Soraka in any way? If so it goes first.

Naturally :P

SlVIR

11-07-2013

i don't comprehend parrot language... can anyone translate?

Linna Excel

11-07-2013

Yeah, who needs things the most is arbitrary. But if you think about it, a champ with a dozen small things wrong might need a VU more than a champ who's fine overall but has one or two issues. Do you tackle the one or two big fish or round up all the little fish? I know you guys are trying to emphasize theme more so you could have one champ who's theme is wrong in need of a VU and another who's theme is fine but has technical problems. I could see both sides to the who needs it more in that case.

That Nasus info is interesting. You won't update a champ for an idea, but if you've already gotten work done towards a VU, it's easier to bump up. Seems logical enough. Still, if a VU was happening anyways, if I were at Riot, I'd probably go fishing for some new ideas to go with it and see what turns up. IIRC, Sej got a new skin not too long after her VU.

About a lore themed patch... it would be kind of cool if champs from an area had a similar basic theme or allow you to show different areas of that society. Or it could be used to show cultural influence. I'm trying to think of what would a champ of freljord-ionian history look like and what he would bring from both sides. If you can get a strong cultural identity, that'd open up opportunities to mix and match.

Sanovah

11-07-2013

IronStylus if you're still lurking tonight.

You talked about hoping to do a faction patch or two for 2014 so I was wondering which faction is your favorite/which faction and or story would you like to see expanded?

Personally I'd like to see Piltover expanded upon. It's my favorite city state with all of its tech and champions associated with. To me Piltover also just has the biggest opportunity to tie up some lose ends and open new possibilities. I'm a huge shipper of the Vi x Cait thing as well as Vis mysterious sister and Caits nemesis C. It would also mean Caits biggest chance at a not soonTM update.

Would love to see both of them be released as two champions or even the same person and see those two story lines "tied up". Would also just be excited to see where a reveal like that could lead the Piltover vs Zuan thing if one or both of Vis sister and C came from there since Jayce has some issues with Zuan too.

Overall Piltover would be my first choice between tying up a couple longstanding story lines, opening up another one or two, and getting Cait an update.

hartar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2013

A piltover patch would be awesome.

BuckNasty78

11-08-2013

I think it is exciting that you are considering Cait for a VU. I love what you have done so far with the other VUs (especially Sivir - wow).

I love Cait in a miniskirt. When I first started playing LoL, she jumped out at me because of the combination of that big slow sniper rifle and that tiny skirt. And cupcake traps! What? Cupcake traps!? There is something about wearing a miniskirt and toting a giant rifle that says "I am bad ass."

Looking at Cait's existing skins, she is not wearing a miniskirt in all of them. I really hope you can keep the miniskirt for her main skin (or if not, at least a "classic" purple miniskirt outfit) as well as Officer Caitlyn. I feel Safari Caitlyn and Arctic Warfare Caitlyn make sense without any changes. Resistance Caitlyn could be unchanged or drastically different - no real opinion on that one. As for Sheriff Caitlyn, I never really understood that one, and I find myself almost never using that skin. "Hotpants + giant gun" just doesn't say the same thing as "miniskirt + giant gun". I feel Sheriff Caitlyn is an opportunity to do the new amazing pants design you hinted at.

Sanovah

11-09-2013

Dang its been a whole day since this has been posted it. Bump to keep the discussion alive.

Really would love to see her get a traditional skin if Ironstylus' ideas are used. I am absolutely in love with where he wants to take her, but she is still our fuzzy cuffed sheriff and I'd hate to permanently lose that look regardless of how awesome the new stuff will be.

NewDudeOverThere

11-10-2013

You should give Swain a VU. give him more of the darker themed in general to make him feel that he has a hidden agenda.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-10-2013
28 of 28 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDudeOverThere View Post
You should give Swain a VU. give him more of the darker themed in general to make him feel that he has a hidden agenda.
There's some ideas for Swain floating around, mainly from The Bravo Ray, since I think he's like.. #1 Swain Fan NA.

NA Darklarik

11-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Legit question.. keep miniskirt or change into possibly sexy pants? Maybe some of both..
I personally like miniskirt, cuz yah know, ima guy.

That said, i would like a breath of fresh air to hit Caitlyn, some nice tight sexy pants would do.

Asuming, OF COURSE, that you make a Traditional skin too

>:/ otherwise....