Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I play Khazix

09-08-2013

New Baron/Dragon visuals pls.
God they need it.

Squidd

09-11-2013

@RiotForScience

Another small idea! I was thinking, since there are six garden gnome summoners around the nexus, you could possibly change that into a small feature that interacts with the players on the team. What I have in mind is that instead of 6, there would be 5, representing the 5 players on each team. Each summoner will have a small glow-effect that shines when the player is alive and is dimmed out when that player dies. Basically, having statues represent players and having some interactive element that connects players to the map a little more.

Also, a different animation for a surrender would be nice. Along with fitting music. I feel like a surrender should be a little more depressing music-wise.

RemusNeo

09-28-2013

So, any news when will a graphic update come for Summoner's Rift?

jsgnextortex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusNeo View Post
So, any news when will a graphic update come for Summoner's Rift?
Dont expect it anytime soon...

RemusNeo

10-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgnextortex View Post
Dont expect it anytime soon...
Why not? They did the last one 1-2 years before and it was a great change, but now they have a lot better tech, look at Howling Abyss or Twisted Treeline and all then new champions and VU, they can make it 10 times better now!

10iggy

10-12-2013

bump

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

11-07-2013
30 of 92 Riot Posts

Hi guys, sorry for the extended absence I am glad to be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
@RiotForScience

Another small idea! I was thinking, since there are six garden gnome summoners around the nexus, you could possibly change that into a small feature that interacts with the players on the team. What I have in mind is that instead of 6, there would be 5, representing the 5 players on each team. Each summoner will have a small glow-effect that shines when the player is alive and is dimmed out when that player dies. Basically, having statues represent players and having some interactive element that connects players to the map a little more.

Also, a different animation for a surrender would be nice. Along with fitting music. I feel like a surrender should be a little more depressing music-wise.

I agree with this idea 5 summoner statues around the nexus is a much stronger motif than 6. I think that the concept of referencing summoner's at all is a bit of an oddly meta concept... most of our "summoners" do not have long beards and pointy hats. I would rather spend that space contributing to a more concrete narrative. What do you think. Would you miss the nexus summoners if they were missing?

StanielK

11-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I agree with this idea 5 summoner statues around the nexus is a much stronger motif than 6. I think that the concept of referencing summoner's at all is a bit of an oddly meta concept... most of our "summoners" do not have long beards and pointy hats. I would rather spend that space contributing to a more concrete narrative. What do you think. Would you miss the nexus summoners if they were missing?
I wouldn't miss them. It's something I've noticed too, they look very generic and outdated. Dunno what to replace them with necessarily, but I agree that they could be much better and that in the current form they don't do much.

Aveolus

11-07-2013

i wonder how much work it would be to have each summoner/old gray guy turned into each champion.
like lets say theres riven, darius, miss fortune, lulu, and syndra on a team.
they each get a statue, or something.
haha, what do i know though.

Gnaraya

11-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post

They needn't be the actual summoners, only representations of their presence on the fields. I for one think this is a smart idea and kind of reminds me of that S2 Cinematic they made. I'd love it.

Though I do agree on your point of using the space for a better narrative, I also think the Nexus has entrenched itself far too greatly and is currently a significant part of League's identity. At least to me.

Not to sound rude, demanding or naive of how the process works or anything, but go go go environment artists! The preseason is the perfect time to flex your creative muscles! Getting something done this preseason'll help the big balance changes freshen up the whole game for the veterans! I've been playing League since closed beta and I'm now at Platinum 1 on the Garena servers and getting there sure meant having to memorize every nook and cranny of the map! It's aged extremely gracefully over the years but compared to all the mesmerizing work that Riot's art team churns out, I'd hate for the Rift to get left behind. Cheers to you guys out there from the Philippines! League's a big hit here and I'm sure it only goes up from here with an art team as skilled as you guys!