Reintegrative shaming over Disintegrative shaming

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

juggernaut1821

11-07-2013

In order to make the tribunal more effective i think we need to involve Reintegrative shaming into part of the punishment process. let's take people who get consistently honored and rewarded for such and put them in game with a toxic. A higher ratio of honored than toxics of course. So lets say you get your first warning, you're also penalized for a slighly longer queue time. The penalty is so the system can pair you with a certain amount of honored players. The people who were warned, will see how effective positive communication is when they're paired with lets say two honors. For the muted, they're paired with three honors so they can see even more positive communication and have no choice but to stay quiet and learn because he's muted. And once a person is coming back from a ban, they should be paired with 4 honored people. And riot can continue to pair them with these people for a certain amount of games that they find necessary. I can't promise this will work, but studies show that Reintegrative shaming is extremely more effective than Disintegrative shaming, and i think the league of Legends community can extremely benefit from this. And i know the tribunal is slow, but if riot made it so after a certain amount of reports a person was automatically. The flaw i see in this though is honestly, the ineffective honor system. After a certain level, people just stop honoring. So we also need to improve the honor system, and perhaps even it's rewards to increase honoring rates. Tell me what you think guys

juggernaut1821

11-07-2013

***And i know the tribunal is slow, but if riot made it so after a certain amount of reports a person was automatically warned instead of going through tribunal

Vaurnbarn

Platform Engineer

11-07-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

That's pretty interesting. I can see why it might be effective. I think it might get a bit of backlash from the good team players who are put into those matches?

Labcown

11-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaurnbarn View Post
That's pretty interesting. I can see why it might be effective. I think it might get a bit of backlash from the good team players who are put into those matches?
This is the first thing that came to my mind. Isn't it more of a punishment for the players who get honored then to be stuck with toxic players?

Fabtech

11-07-2013

idk bout this 1

Risotadazo

11-07-2013

This seems like it creates some perverse incentives. If you're neutral you have less incentive to go positive; you'd be increasing your own chances of getting toxic players. Even worse, you can go toxic to get positive players on your team.

P2Mc28

11-07-2013

Interesting idea, but I can't help but think to myself of how effective, and rather permanent sounding, "disintegrative" shaming sounds. Doesn't seem like there would be anything left to reform!

LxLegend

11-07-2013

No bad idea.

You are forgetting that disruptive players aren't just toxic because of what they type in chat.

They are also disruptive because of what they do in game.

Locking in top lane champ after someone else has already called it and are higher in pick order.

Last picking a no escape adc as support and not running armor runes in lane.

Purposefully leaving the game.

Feeding kills to the other team.

Spamming pings.

Matching up players who do those kind of things with players who actually display the best behavior the community could ask for would be creating a system that purposefully trolls your best behaved players.

Amuq the Native

11-08-2013

Yeah. If I work my ass off to be positive, I expect to be rewarded with a similarly positive environment, not be punished by being paired with MORE toxic players than before, kthx.

You could try this experiment, but somehow make this an OPT-IN for players with enough honor. Don't drop this on unsuspecting folks who really, really don't need that.

The point is, Riot is hell-bent on reforming and reintegrating toxic players, which is all fine and dandy, but honestly, the huge majority of players just do not want them in our games, period. It's not about shaming or anything, it's about playing in a friendly environment.
If toxic players have to be reformed, then the burden is on themselves and on Riot. Not on other players, who are suffering enough from toxicity as is.

Mazinger

11-08-2013

Yeah I wouldn't call this "punishment" to the already well honored players but to me it may be more of an unwanted "responsibility". Like "Heeeeyyy dude, you've been regarded so well by other players that you get to "babysit" a formidably "toxic" player!" That would make me want to not play well or as well "teamwork-wise".