@IronStylus: Cait VU thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dreamcleaver

11-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
She's not slated anytime soon, but my personal wishlist goes something as follows:

- Jayce-ify her just a bit, so that she feels somewhere in line between Vi and Jayce himself. Example, higher fashion. Cait is classy, I think she can fill the high-fashion niche a little better.

- Make her look the part of "Sherlock" to Vi's "Watson". I'd like her to feel juxtaposed, not just accidentally different. Meaning that Caitlyn should be put together, snazzy, fashionable, precise, while Vi is obviously punky and more eclectic.

- Not necesarilly tone down the hat, but give it some flair or maybe a bit of function. Piltover high-fashion rather than Willy Wonka.

Again, personally, this is just me, but I'd like to see a bit of this injected into her:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lady+mechanika&safe=off&espv=210&es_sm=93 &source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9HN4UoXDLIWtigLT-oH4CQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=1069

So yeah. Again, not any time soon, and just personal feels, but I think she could use some tightening. Plus.. her walk cycle is a bit goofy and she has noodle arms :P
To me it feels that Cait's original design concept was exactly what you described here but the realization failed miserably and created the current lame Willy Wonka mimic with no class and snazz at all. Oh yeah and her weapon lacks detail as well.

I admit, I'm the type of player who won't play a champion if I don't like his/her aesthetics design no matter how useful and powerful he/she actually is. For me the current Caitlyn is just a subpar product but I'd buy her in an instant with the changes you've just described.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-06-2013
26 of 28 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterheart View Post
Although I have no way of knowing, I'm expecting to see the following VUs in 2014/S4:

Ryze, Sion, Poppy, Taric, Morgana (late 2014 quite possibly else early 2015) Probably Eve too. These are the ones who need it considerably, but then you often pull out surprise VUs that nobody expects, so I wonder what else... Kassadin maybe? :O

You did say 30 champions though, so it's really a matter of guessing the order you're planning on working on them. Probably no Karthus anytime soon due to how much the animators dislike the prospect of a cloth upgrade. :P

Welp. Here's hoping for a Piltover themed faction patch so that we can get a nice Cait VU. On that subject do you feel you'll be doing another faction patch this Season?
That's a pretty good list of assumptions

I'd personally like a faction/lore patch. I really would. I personally think they're great opportunities to expand the world and tell more story.

fieryfate

11-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf McWolf View Post
Mr. Stylus, since you're still around, what if we were to attempt to please both sides of the skirtpants issue? Why not have Cait keep a miniskirt, but give her some classy ass stockings and tall boots to go with them? There are a lot of ways to take stockings and skirts and make for a sexy, high society woman.
Grade A Zettai Ryouiki!!
Name:  2010-03-02-251742.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  132.7 KB
Name:  zettai-ryouki-small.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  39.8 KB

Mirage Night

11-06-2013

Quote:

I'd personally like a faction/lore patch. I really would. I personally think they're great opportunities to expand the world and tell more story.
Not sure who is on the Skins team, so not sure if you would be the one to ask, but how many ultimate skins are in the works right now? I'd figure you have a few considering the process isn't really linear.

Splinterheart

11-06-2013

Quote:

Why thank you ^^
Whilst I always look forward to VUs the most, I think Lore/Faction patches are way up there in my interest zone. There's so much that can be done to flash out the world and it's champions. I personally feel that the next big Faction Patch should maybe be the Void with a slew of VUs for Kass, Malz, Cho and Kog. There's a lot we don't know about there yet.

I wonder if we could get giant Faction patches like Piltover/Zaun, Demacia/Noxus etc. Take two opposing city states and have people support sides in the war. We had the smaller scale Freljord conflict, but none of the other City States are actually at war inside themselves. (Excluding Jinx chaos). It'd be cool to really set each state apart from each other and amplify their different values. Pilt/Zaun the most interesting here for me.

Sanovah

11-06-2013

Quote:

GG just confirmed by a red Sion will be getting reworked this year and we'll also be getting a faction patch. This totally means after Sion gets his rework champion 1XX will be C and Caitlyn will get her stylistic balance so they can release the Piltover faction patch while they work on the next rework.

DISCLAIMER: I am probably full of **** because no red has said this .You should also feel bad for believing me. This of course only holds true if I'm wrong. In the case I am right totally called it and I'll bump this at that time.

Sanovah

11-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieryfate View Post
Grade A Zettai Ryouiki!!
Attachment 820685
Attachment 820684
Might just be me and my watching a good number of anime, but I totally can't see something like long stockings and a skirt working for the exact reasons shown in your picture. It just looks way to school girl or feminine power suit with a skirt

Lord Mordor

11-07-2013

Hey Stylus, got a question that I've been wondering for a bit ever since you guys started to really try to tell stories with champion appearances and find ways to tie them into their past and who they are as characters.

For example, extremely common theme among official piltover champs is belts...lots and lots of belts. Also more of an emphasis on a steam-punk style look. Noxus is lots of spikes, sharp angles, and darker colors

what would you say are the big looks that you identify each faction with. Or to put it another way, what are you using as your guide for how to make champions from the same area feel like they belong to that area?

Blizzmaster

11-07-2013

Quote:

On this subject Stylus, how do you feel about where Yordles stand in the current iteration of LoL? I would love to see a patch that is focused around a visual update of Yordles specifically, to help define what exactly makes a Yordle.

Right now, I really feel like the race as a whole lacks consistency and representation to really fit in to the lore and be a part of the story Riot games wants to tell in Runeterra. They're kind of "those short things over the mountain that everyone forgot about".

kirume

11-07-2013

Dear gentle-parrot:

1. When is Irelia time to receive VU?
2. Can you suggest the next VU?
3. Can you tell the VU team to fix Janna's staff? It looks like a toy, not a magical staff :/