@IronStylus: Cait VU thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sanovah

11-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Good question. Those types of VU's are easier to pepper in and possibly slow burn on, so that we can stagger them in between straight up Relaunches or Rework/VU's. Both of those are a bit more daunting than straight up VU's. They require a lot of design support and are a little more subjective.

A VU like Cait, and that's not saying she's up for one anytime soon, would be medium-low priority and might follow a VU/Relaunch/Rework/etc that was more intensive. So, hypothetically, let's say we throw someone like Sion into the pipeline, who needs a **** ton of support from all over the place, someone like Cait might be good to follow because it's more craft/polish/quality/new-coat-of-paint tweaking than full on blowing up the building and reconstructing it.

Ideally though, we want to get the biggest challenges out of the way fast, but that can really burn out a team fast, doing one resource intensive relaunch after another.
Very cool. Thank you for the clarification on that whole process. I did have one last "clever" question I was hoping you could at least give a half answer to.

About how many "bad" VUs/Reworks/Rebalances would you guys say you have before you're "done"? I ask because we obviously see the game from different perspectives so while I might say Elise is fine you guys could secretly hate her model/kit and want to redo both.

Thank you again though for even coming in here and talking with us. I expected Cait to be very low on the list if she was on it at all. So you coming in here and sharing your thoughts, ideas, and explaining the process a bit was very interesting and exciting. I can't say I'll start holding my breath any time soon for her stylistic balance, but just knowing you have ideas on how it might go and is on your "radar" is awesome. So thanks again for coming in here and talking with us and here's hoping for at least a late 2014 stylistic balance

Splinterheart

11-06-2013

It makes me sad when people call Cait's current visuals "dumb" etc. (._.)
I picked her up as one of my first champions (after my first love, Leona) because of her visual design. I like it, but I'm not afraid about it being changed to match the other Piltover champions because I agree that she really needs it. Anybody who denies it should honestly take a look at our other Piltover champions, especially Vi. I think there's gonna have to be a strong thematic clash with Vi though. Can't forget that bit.
There's a wealth of possibilities for her VU, I'm just excited and thinking of ideas now. >_>

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-06-2013
25 of 28 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanovah View Post
Very cool. Thank you for the clarification on that whole process. I did have one last "clever" question I was hoping you could at least give a half answer to.

About how many "bad" VUs/Reworks/Rebalances would you guys say you have before you're "done"? I ask because we obviously see the game from different perspectives so while I might say Elise is fine you guys could secretly hate her model/kit and want to redo both.

Thank you again though for even coming in here and talking with us. I expected Cait to be very low on the list if she was on it at all. So you coming in here and sharing your thoughts, ideas, and explaining the process a bit was very interesting and exciting. I can't say I'll start holding my breath any time soon for her stylistic balance, but just knowing you have ideas on how it might go and is on your "radar" is awesome. So thanks again for coming in here and talking with us and here's hoping for at least a late 2014 stylistic balance
No problem! It's been a pleasure to answer what I can.

Let's see. Honestly we have a lot on our plate. I'd say we have at least 30 big ones on our hit list. That's not to say that we're going to crank through those in order from "worst" to "least worst", it's going to be a process and a staggered one at that. Throwing the more subtle quality/theme based VU's into the mix with the more ambitious ones.

A lot of us see opportunities too. So, while something might not be screaming for attention for quality's sake, we have ideas about existing champions in terms of art, design and story. There also might be times where an important balance change, or design rework, could prompt something to get expedited. Maybe we have a bundle of content to release which could really be served by giving an older character some much needed love. Relaunches of opportunity, we've called them in the past.

Lots of variables are factored in. The list is honestly surprisingly long, but that's just because the current quality bar is so high. We also feel that relaunches are a great way to provide content that we didn't have the capacity, bandwidth, or ability to do before. Champions and skins are of course staples, but relaunches have become an important part in keeping the content pool fresh!

Crazy Jinx

11-06-2013

Quote:
I honestly don't think sexualization has anything to do with it. This would probably be more of a style choice, and one based around possibly pushing her snazzy dress sensibility to a higher level. One which her current look doesn't really seem to serve. It's less about sexy and more about stylish in my opinion.

It's her style that really gets me. I use the Classic and Safari skins the most. I don't like the sherif skin so much. i got it and i never used it much.

I would be quite upset if her VU removed her miniskirt. perhapse make it more "stylish" if you will but It's a design prference I've personally liked quite a bit.

ColdMiller

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2013

A bit off topic but on topic, how do VU's work for the more monster types, specifically like kog'maw for example? How would he work, is the design process different or does it go about the same iterations a normal visual update goes? ( partly i only ask cause hes been my fav. champ since season one and am curious :P)

Quote:

Let's see. Honestly we have a lot on our plate. I'd say we have at least 30 big ones on our hit list. That's not to say that we're going to crank through those in order from "worst" to "least worst", it's going to be a process and a staggered one at that. Throwing the more subtle quality/theme based VU's into the mix with the more ambitious ones.

A lot of us see opportunities too. So, while something might not be screaming for attention for quality's sake, we have ideas about existing champions in terms of art, design and story. There also might be times where an important balance change, or design rework, could prompt something to get expedited. Maybe we have a bundle of content to release which could really be served by giving an older character some much needed love. Relaunches of opportunity, we've called them in the past.

Lots of variables are factored in. The list is honestly surprisingly long, but that's just because the current quality bar is so high. We also feel that relaunches are a great way to provide content that we didn't have the capacity, bandwidth, or ability to do before. Champions and skins are of course staples, but relaunches have become an important part in keeping the content pool fresh!

Splinterheart

11-06-2013

Quote:

Although I have no way of knowing, I'm expecting to see the following VUs in 2014/S4:

Ryze, Sion, Poppy, Taric, Morgana (late 2014 quite possibly else early 2015) Probably Eve too. These are the ones who need it considerably, but then you often pull out surprise VUs that nobody expects, so I wonder what else... Kassadin maybe? :O

You did say 30 champions though, so it's really a matter of guessing the order you're planning on working on them. Probably no Karthus anytime soon due to how much the animators dislike the prospect of a cloth upgrade. :P

Welp. Here's hoping for a Piltover themed faction patch so that we can get a nice Cait VU. On that subject do you feel you'll be doing another faction patch this Season?

EDIT: Forgot Twitch. I think I'm expecting to see him this year coming too.

Tortferngatr

11-06-2013

Quote:

So does this mean that we'll almost certainly be seeing a Caitlyn visual upgrade if C decides to join the League?

(Just thought it would be relevant...)

exec3

11-06-2013

Would Caitlyn be a candidate for a Traditional skin?

Eyrgos

11-06-2013

Quote:

Not to Necro, but how many TU's do you see in the pipeline coming along as we go?
I love the Rammus TU, and I'm still hoping for Quinn's.

Sanovah

11-06-2013

@splinter and @Tort.

I obviously can't speak for IronStylus or Riot but I'd like to hope that we'll see two faction patches in 2014.

Really seems like they're leaning toward expanding the Shurima desert with the update of Susan and the leaked stuff that's 117, but not according to Riot. So if they touch up Renek we could probably see a Shurima faction patch

Also seems like they're building towards a Piltover patch too. I want to avoid reading to much into this thread, so ignoring it we've definitely gotten a lot of lore and champs surrounding it in the last year. We got Jayce last year, Vi late 2012, Info about her having a sister with the freljiord patch, And jinx a month ago. So the only thing we're currently missing are Vis sister and C both of which could come in one patch hopefully in 2014.