@Xelnath

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jarvan Krislov

11-04-2013

I am a rising comp sci major in my senior year of college, and I dream of working for Riot one day. Through all of my research on the internet and Riot LinkedIn group and reading countless job descriptions at riotgames[dot]com/careers, I've found that a key to landing a job at Riot is to pursue something you love, your passion, and excel at it. The problem I have is that my schoolwork is interfering with my passion.

I love playing soccer, I love the problem-solving (theory) side of computer science, and I'm an avid LoL player. But above all, I deeply care about improving the experiences of other people in these fields. I work the most hours of any teaching assistant for the beginner comp sci students. I am the President, Secretary, and Liaison for the club soccer team; and I'm also planning to build a website for the team and the entire league that we compete in. I frequently duo queue with other Oberlin LoL players on my smurf, usually playing support so they can learn to play a carry and so I can teach them about the game. My college actually lets student teach their own courses (about anything) for credit, and I'm offering a LoL course next semester.

I have a lot on my plate. But I am really struggling in one class, that if I don't pass, it would mean not graduating. It's systems programming (in C), and I don't have much of a background in coding, or much interest. I'm also taking HCI and Algorithms, both of which I love and have no problem with. I guess my problem is not having enough motivation to do the things that I'm not interested in. The sad thing is that in order to bring my grade up in systems, I've had to scale back everything else that I love, from skipping soccer practices to only playing league on weekends to finding replacements to work my TA shifts. I feel like college is only holding me back now, and I doubt myself everyday if I'm making the right choice of giving up what I love doing for what a professor expects of me. I speak to the professor very frequently but there's no getting around the sheer workload of C projects.

TL,DR: I am forced into making choices between pursuing my passion, a key ingredient for landing a job at Riot or a similar company, and keeping up with the grueling workload of a senior comp sci major at a demanding liberal arts college.

Help!

P.S. I would love to do player support jobs here!

Jarvan Krislov

11-05-2013

bump for guidance/hope/advice from the all-mighty, omniscient Xelnath tonight.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

11-05-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Good luck. This is basically the tough call you have to make.

Ultimately, you need to develop the skills that will help you the most. It sounds like C/C++ coding is a weakness for you at the moment. Good. Buckle down and learn that ****. When you master it, you'll have a skill most people don't possess.

That said, C++ knowledge alone won't land you a job here. It's what you do with your skills outside of class that will really differentiate you from the rest. I got my first salaried job in gaming by being a video game modder for 3-4 years before I ever got paid for it.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that developing skills is hard work. You can't get around that - but if you can develop the same skills on your own time in a way that grows your passion - do that. If you're really just trying to come up with an excuse to not do your assignment in school because they're tough... well that attitude isn't going to get you a career in this industry either.

If writing code isn't something you want to do, then you need to work on something that's passion building for you. For me, I found my passion in design by taking the building block skills I had in programming, but using them to create something I enjoyed.

Jarvan Krislov

11-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Good luck. This is basically the tough call you have to make.

Ultimately, you need to develop the skills that will help you the most. It sounds like C/C++ coding is a weakness for you at the moment. Good. Buckle down and learn that ****. When you master it, you'll have a skill most people don't possess.

That said, C++ knowledge alone won't land you a job here. It's what you do with your skills outside of class that will really differentiate you from the rest. I got my first salaried job in gaming by being a video game modder for 3-4 years before I ever got paid for it.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that developing skills is hard work. You can't get around that - but if you can develop the same skills on your own time in a way that grows your passion - do that. If you're really just trying to come up with an excuse to not do your assignment in school because they're tough... well that attitude isn't going to get you a career in this industry either.

If writing code isn't something you want to do, then you need to work on something that's passion building for you. For me, I found my passion in design by taking the building block skills I had in programming, but using them to create something I enjoyed.
Thank you, Xelnath. I guess the old saying "you're only as strong as your weakest link" applies here. I need to think on how learning programming will better allow me to pursue my passions, and the motivation will come from there.

Dryad Soraka

11-06-2013

no piss off

Drrroowzee

11-06-2013

1A32024

That's the only hint you get, Xelnath.

bérnkastel

11-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvan Krislov View Post
other Oberlin LoL players
ohio Oberlin? I one did research for a professor that studied racism in Elyria during the 1940s. only reason I bring this up.

but yeah, I wouldn't say passion is what lands you the job. i'd say more what you do with it.

Jarvan Krislov

11-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bérnkastel View Post
ohio Oberlin? I one did research for a professor that studied racism in Elyria during the 1940s. only reason I bring this up.

but yeah, I wouldn't say passion is what lands you the job. i'd say more what you do with it.
yep, the same!

OuttaControl56

11-07-2013

Oberlin is OP.

Go with glory Mr. Krislov College President sir. And gimme grants.

Micalas

11-07-2013

Good luck getting a job. I've been trying forever