@IronStylus: Cait VU thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sanovah

11-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThunda View Post
I don't understand why is has to be such a big change from the original look. For example, the art posted by melancholy two posts up looks awesome.

I actually really dislike that first art posted, because it looks quit a bit like Quinn and it doesn't look anything at all like current caitlyn.
I think she partly needs to change just because of how much around her has changed. She's now two or two and a half years old and in that two+ years we've gotten a better idea of what piltover is, what it looks like, how It's citizens dress and act, we've also added two new champions for her to interact with one of whom is her crime fighting partner.

The game has just expanded and been refined so much her classic look doesn't fit the part of a badass sheriff of a powerful city state who's partners with Vi, friends with Jayce, and the nemesis of C.

I originally made this thread looking for just some news on possible refinements, but after seeing and reading both the Parrott and others ideas I have to say I'm completely in favour of a new look.

As for the one a couple posts above. It's nice, but to me still screams unclassy and just added frill where chest and legs used to be shown. So it just seems like they covered it because they could with no real goal or refinement

Qichin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2013

I like the juxtaposition idea with Vi. I think one more aspect that can be brought forward is Caitlyn being more feminine and graceful/composed compared to Vi's roughness. Just a thought.

Mars Fallon

11-06-2013

Big fan of Cait as a champion, big fan of Piltover, but also really think Cait needs a VU. She looks terrible and her theming is extremely weak (tea party hat wearing sniper?)

I like the ideas mentioned that she should be fancy and high fashion, but this seems a little like a skin thing (like Aristocrat Vayne). I think default Caitlyn should look fancy-but-practical, wearing clothes that let her beat the cobblestones with Vi, maker collars and chase down crooks. Some sort of coat sounds cool. Sticking with boots in her default (no high heels plz!) would be good.

Most of all, I would like her to look like a Piltover police officer. Currently I don't think there's *any* indication of this in her design. There's not much for Vi either, but Vi's a loose cannon, that works. Caitlyn should have a badge or something at least. Besides, how cool would that be, some sorta piltover cog-shield badge?

As for her weapon, I wish it looked a little less goofy. Right now it looks like a big toy.

Huge fan of Vi and Jinx, really wish Caitlyn could stand next to them and look like she comes from the same world, which is not the case ATM.

Love love love the idea of Vi being Watson and Cait being Holmes.

FlashRebelJr

11-06-2013

As a big fan of Caitlyn as the character itself, I would also like to bring another topic that may be quite hard to deal with : a potential overhaul on her gameplay as well as on her model.

I can give the reasons why : I fell like Caitlyn used to be more challenging to play in the past, was more dynamic and overall more interesting.

Then, she evolved to become what she is right now : a pure lane bully with the dullest gameplay among all champions (I know that a sniper is not purposed to be really agile, but now it becomes quite boring) and almost nothing to bring outside the laning phase. Every of her spells is a lane-bullying tool with few to no interest outside a lane, and even less in teamfights :
- her base range gives her a big advantage in the lane, and a free source of heavy poke with her passive, but this advantage is simply lost once the enemy has tier 2 boots. Plus she scales very badly with attack speed, making DPS builds quite unefficient on her compared to most ranged ADCs.
- her Q helps farming minions easily and deals heavy damage, and is very hard to anticipate when shot from the brush, but is close to useless in teamfights due to the risk of getting vaporized by the enemy team during the cast and the ease to dodge it when shot out of cover.
- her W is a terrific zoning and scouting tool on a lane, allowing a free Q on an enemy stepping on the trap, but is impractical to protect objectives due to the limited number of traps and almost useless in teamfights where a tank can just clean them up.
- her W is one of the most powerful escapes among ranged champions, making her very hard to gank in any other way than sneaking behind her, but it becomes uninteresting once the enemy team attacks, well, as a team, since only one enemy can be slowed by the net.
- her R is not supposed to be powerful during the laning phase but in fact, it is. By using the simple technique of weakening enemies to death and ulting, making surviving the ult impossible for one of them, it gives easy early kills. But once the enemy team regroups, it loses all its interest.

Plus several announcements and game updates tend to increase the dynamism of the early game (like the nerf on potion stacking to encourage more risky actions early in the game instead of just staring at each other), modify current lane bullies (above all about Garen and Yorick, and others too) to make then less absolutely dominating on a lane, and give everyone a purpose in late game phases.

Caitlyn cumulates every of the problems quoted above : her gameplay is not dynamic at all and encourages a total absence of risk, she bullies the lane realy hard and becomes almost purposeless after the laning phase.

This is why I really think that Caitlyn needs changes.

lorewise

11-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotOpti View Post
I would like to point out that LoL still lacks a skort-wearing champion.
This is a travesty. Surely the person or persons responsible for this oversight have been sacked I hope.

IonianIrelia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Actually it's still 100% hand animated making it still a real chore. The guys have just gotten really, really good at what they do. Our animators have very similar guidelines to capes as Edna from The Incredibles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2YhxXn7NY

I'll just leave this here >.>

Nopaq

11-06-2013

I know this thread is about Caits VU but it got me thinking about a cool skin idea. A batman inspired skin for Cait would be pretty epic. It would make Cait vs Jinx bot lanes even more intense.

Gahlo

11-06-2013

Quote:
We've talked about that idea a bit, and I'm 100% for it. That's honestly not as difficult to do as.. let's say.. cloth.
Take a look at sniper rifles in XCOM. When the laser or plasma rifles shoot they go a collapsing telescoping motion, as if the recoil is acting upon the barrel instead of the gun as a whole.

JesusCrusader

11-06-2013

CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE VISUAL UPGRADE!! also will the VU come with the futuristic armored skin? because i really like the PAX Australia art you put out! lol when i heard about the skin i nearly peed my pants in anticipation. God bless!

JesusCrusader

11-06-2013

Quote:
Legit question.. keep miniskirt or change into possibly sexy pants? Maybe some of both..
i prefer pants